Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws on the Redskins

MikeB

I was driving home last night from the airport and heard Jaws on a 950AM (local Philly radio station) and he had some interesting points on the Skins-Eagles game:

1. Said we are not a blitzing team and play soft off the corners. Didn't really analyze this much but also stated that McNabb is not the same guy as in the past... can't make the great scramble plays any longer.

2. When asked about JC he said he is the type of QB that needs to be managed to 22- 25 throws a game (i.e. he won't be tossing 40 balls anytime soon.) He can attack all areas of the field with a great arm and is by no means a statue. While not a scrambling type of QB, can move around, is hard to bring down, and can make some plays with his legs.

3. On the INT, said that Campbell telegraphs his receiver and a seasoned safety like Dawkins will definitely pick up on this and get picks.

4. Said that after watching the Skins-Fins game that the Skins have gone back to the smashmouth football of Gibbs past. This is not the Saunders offense we saw last year.

I was surprised that he thinks our offensive philosophy has changed… just curious if the rest of you think that we will see a dramatic change this season versus the last 7 games of last year. I thought the offense was coming around in those games and finding some identity. Nice pass-rush mix. I would be a bit disappointed if we didn’t try to spread the field more as Campbell settles in this season.

I was also surprised that Jaws didn’t point out Campbell’s TD-INT ratio last year. I think it was quite good for a rookie and while there is some validity to keeping the young QB’s touches to a minimum (especially given our run game) I see the Miami game as more of an anomaly then the norm.

Well, I definately saw a difference in our offensive philosophy against Miami.

I think we substituted Betts for Portis after something like 8 plays.

Used to be Betts was the second-string guy who came in when Portis couldn't keep it up any more. But I think maybe we're migrating to more of a "RB by committee" than a "#1 and a #2" arrangement.

I rarely like, or listen, to Jaws especially when the Philly Turds are involved, but those are some decent points. I don't understand why GW is not blitzing more. Campbell needs to learn to look off his recievers better and I think that we are more of a smash mouth team than last year.

Jaws is a smart dude, and definetly knows how to break down some film. Anyway, i think all the points he touched on were correct. I think Gibbs and Saunders will be very conservative this week with Campbell. It would not shock me if they tried to run the ball even more than last week. Then again another part of me thinks Saunders will attack that banged up secondary. Hopefully, if he can meet somewhere in the middle as far as playcalling goes it should give us a chance to go up to Philly and get a big divison victory

Well, I definately saw a difference in our offensive philosophy against Miami.

I think we substituted Betts for Portis after something like 8 plays.

Used to be Betts was the second-string guy who came in when Portis couldn't keep it up any more. But I think maybe we're migrating to more of a "RB by committee" than a "#1 and a #2" arrangement.

I disagree; I think that they wanted to make sure that Portis would remain fresh. I think that as the season goes on, we'll see Portis getting more and more carries and Betts getting less and less. Eventually, Betts will only be getting around five carries a game.

I rarely like, or listen, to Jaws especially when the Philly Turds are involved, but those are some decent points. I don't understand why GW is not blitzing more. Campbell needs to learn to look off his recievers better and I think that we are more of a smash mouth team than last year.

Maybe the lack of blitz packages could be related to his confidence level of the secondary being able to stay with receivers?

Maybe the lack of blitz packages could be related to his confidence level of the secondary being able to stay with receivers?

Looked to me they were just being careful because they weren't sure how Smoot would handle the starting duties but I think we are going to throw more blitzes in as the year goes on

It's one game!

The jury is still out on whether we're an attacking or passive defense. Honestly, I think GW didn't see the need for giving up the big play in the Dolphins game. That was a game we needed and were expected to win. Philly is a different story. We'll have to change it up a bit if we want to win. We can't let Mcnabb sit in the pocket for four or five seconds and pick us apart. If we can control the line of scrimmage against Westbrook, like we did last week against Brown and Chatman, it will give us an easier chance to send in some LBs and create some havoc.

Doing that will be easier said than done but it can be done.

His comments on Campbell are very accurate. He totally locks in on a receiver sometimes but I think we'll see him doing it less this season. Sometimes, this isn't a bad thing anyway. I watched Carson Palmer do the same thing last Monday with Johnson a few times, with some great results.

The other encouraging sight last weekend was seeing the #2 WR get balls thrown his way (and that ARE made plays!!). Campbell made passes to at least four different receivers (not including the Betts or Portis because I can't remember if they got passes thrown their way or not) and THAT is good to see.

You win in the NFL by running the ball between the tackles (See: Steve Spurrier era). Betts was used more frequently because of the heat, don't remember if I read it or heard it on the radio but that came from Betts himself. He said that him and Clinton were alternating every 2-3 plays because of the heat.

Screw that Al Saunders crap. Give the ******* ball to Clinton Portis. When the safeties start creeping up, we have Moss and ARE over the top. The run sets up the pass, not vice versa.

I always thought Jaws has always been very balanced in his analysis. I like listening to him over most of the other so-called analysts.

The skins allowed 13 points and if miami wasn't so lucky with that 4th down touchdown the defense played well.

seriously, if Cam didnt gamble and go for it on 4th down the game would have been 13-6 and we would be talking about how great GW's defense was for not allowing a single TD.

campbell is young everyone. even the great favre (even in his prime) stared a receiver down. let the kid mature. did you see the deep throw to ARE for the TD? it was on the money and that is what matters.

Let me say that I think Jaws is one of the FEW media people that actually watch game tape and has always given informative analysis even though sometimes it hurt me to hear it.

1. Said we are not a blitzing team and play soft off the corners. Didn't really analyze this much but also stated that McNabb is not the same guy as in the past... can't make the great scramble plays any longer.

Agree 100% on all counts here. Still blows my mind why we play so soft. NO MATTER the posts attempting to condone it.

2. When asked about JC he said he is the type of QB that needs to be managed to 22- 25 throws a game (i.e. he won't be tossing 40 balls anytime soon.) He can attack all areas of the field with a great arm and is by no means a statue. While not a scrambling type of QB, can move around, is hard to bring down, and can make some plays with his legs.

Also agree with this. No one expects JC to be throwing 40 balls a game. We have TWO running back capable of sharing most of the load.

3. On the INT, said that Campbell telegraphs his receiver and a seasoned safety like Dawkins will definitely pick up on this and get picks.

He does, and he will until JC can stop doing it.

4. Said that after watching the Skins-Fins game that the Skins have gone back to the smashmouth football of Gibbs past. This is not the Saunders offense we saw last year.

I was surprised that he thinks our offensive philosophy has changed… just curious if the rest of you think that we will see a dramatic change this season versus the last 7 games of last year. I thought the offense was coming around in those games and finding some identity. Nice pass-rush mix. I would be a bit disappointed if we didn’t try to spread the field more as Campbell settles in this season.[/color]

I disagree. When did we spread the field first and then run last year? We didn't. Betts had great games and that gave JC the ability to spread the field. It was/is Saunders and Gibbs philosophy to run the ball and then throw once you have made the defense pull up and respect the run. JC had plenty of throws downfield against Miami, most just didn't find their target or were dropped. That will change with time. :2cents:

I think Jaws is usually on point. I don't think we'll see a full-fledged Gibbs power running game throughout the season. We did see alot of power running plays versus Miami so JC could get over the opening day jitters and that first INT. But even in a big, yet early game like this one coming up versus Philly, you gotta send that young QB in there to attack the secondary. He may not produce awesome results, but I think it's important for him to do this early in the season.

If JC struggles, the running game is still there. But if we turn the ball over twice against the Eagles, we're finished. McNabb may be more immobile and has a weak receiving core, but he's still the same McNabb that can hurt you with big plays.

ok here is my take on his comments

1. If you saw last week we were not much of a blitzing team but that is GW saving his best stuff for a formitable oponent. The fins were not formitable. Our corners were soft but again I think we are saving our best stuff.

2. If a team establishes a good running game there is no need to throw 40+ passes. Eveything about campbell is pretty right on.

3. Didn't really notice but could be true since this is his first full year starting there are bound to be some flaws.

4. I agree but think we will still see some Saunders stuff come out once we play teams that pose a bigger challene, i.e. eagles, giants, cowgirls.

EDIT- When I started typing Aghar had not posted his yet, I am glad we basically agree though.

I think when the other team makes it clear that they are going to do short drops and heavy protection schemes, Williams is going to back off of the blitz and go coverage. This, of course, is called good coaching. Trust me, if the other team wants to spread it out and wing it all over the field, GW will bring intense heat. It's just hard to get to any QB, much less a savvy one like Green, when he gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less.

When the other team moves away from what they want to do to counter you, you've won half the battle. :)

I disagree; I think that they wanted to make sure that Portis would remain fresh. I think that as the season goes on, we'll see Portis getting more and more carries and Betts getting less and less. Eventually, Betts will only be getting around five carries a game.

I agree. Also, because Betts is good out of the backfield... look to see both CP and Betts in together.

Archived