Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider Breakdown - Skins vs. Dolphins (MERGED)

WHALEN

Redskins secondary will show why they are second to none

By Scouts, Inc

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Why To Watch

Head Coach Cam Cameron is bringing a fresh offensive system with him from San Diego. He will rely on QB Trent Green to apply the system and have a productive offense in Miami. The Dolphins have struggled on the offensive side of the ball and they haven't played up to their potential in the past. The Cameron era begins against a Redskins defense that has been stingy. The Washington linebacking corps and secondary fly to the ball and keep offenses guessing with disguised coverages and pressure. The Redskins offense is still unproven with QB Jason Campbell. If they get off to a good start, they may have a chance to stun the Miami defense. This will be a big season for Hall of Fame head coach Joe Gibbs. Gibbs has to show improvement by leading the organization to more victories. There will be more pressure to win this year than in the past.

When the Dolphins have the ball

Rushing: Ronnie Brown and Jesse Chatman will anchor the running game with an average offensive line. The weakest part of the offense is the offensive line for now. Rookie center Satele Samson is talented but the rest of the line including Samson has yet to gel to become a unit which opponents respect. One of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL, Hudson Houck, will get the O-Line to play to its potential by midseason. The Redskins defensive line is average at best. The team upgraded the linebackers in the offseason by adding ILB London Fletcher to the mix. The combination of Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, and Marcus Washington should be a good one. The Redskins run defense in 2006 was towards the bottom of the league in yards allowed per game. Fletcher will improve the run defense but better play from the defensive line is necessary to keep Fletcher free from being blocked by opposing offensive lineman.

Passing: Green has wide receivers Chris Chambers and Marty Booker who can catch intermediate balls including the occasional vertical bomb in Cameron's offense. TE David Martin is very capable of being a vertical threat due to his athleticism along with being effective as a blocker. Cameron will also use the running backs as outlets in the passing game along with running back screens. That will put Washington's linebackers to the test. The Redskins secondary may be the most talented position group on the team. Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, rookie first rounder LaRon Landry, and Fred Smoot & enough said. This unit has the talent to shut down any passing game in the NFL. They under-achieved in 2006 but the addition of Landry should solidify the group even more.

When the Redskins have the ball

Rushing: One of the only strengths of the Washington Redskins in 2006 was the run game. Clinton Portis is a talented running back that gives the Redskins a chance to win every Sunday. His vision, burst and exceptional balance allows him to gain yards after the initial hit. The Redskins have recently acquired OG Pete Kendall from the NY Jets. Kendall along with RT Jon Jansen and C Casey Rabach are the anchors of the offensive line. The Dolphins have one of the most talented front seven on defense in the NFL. Pro Bowlers Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Joey Porter are the best at their positions. Add defensive tackles Keith Traylor and Vonnie Holliday to that mix and that will be enough to make opposing offenses think twice about wanting to establish a running game.

Passing: The pressure for Campbell to produce begins now. His supporting cast in the passing game includes receivers Antwaan Randle El and Santana Moss. Both are vertical threats but they lack the height to go up and pluck the ball versus a good size corner. TE Chris Cooley has good hands and runs good routes. Washington play caller Al Saunders prefers to incorporate the TE in his offense and Cooley has given him reason to. The Dolphins pass defense was among the best in the NFL in 2006. The ability of the front seven to rush the passer is what made Miami successful. Taylor is one of the most dangerous pass rushers in the NFL. Add Porter to the mix on third down and it turns in to a race on who can grab the most sacks. Free safety Renaldo Hill and corner Will Allen will lead the secondary.

Special Teams

Dolphins' special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong is one of the best in the NFL. Kicker Jay Feely wasn't as productive as former Dolphin kicker Olindo Mare in 2006, but Mare was kicking in friendlier climactic conditions in Miami as opposed to New York. Ted Ginn Jr. should add another dimension to the Miami special teams in return game. Washington's special teams coordinator Danny Smith improved his squad in 2006. Expectations should be higher this season. Kickoff Returner Rock Cartwright and punt returner Randle El are exceptional at what they do.http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?univLogin02=stateChanged Sorry heres the link

Good article...

The Dolphins have one of the most talented front seven on defense in the NFL. Pro Bowlers Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Joey Porter are the best at their positions. Add defensive tackles Keith Traylor and Vonnie Holliday to that mix and that will be enough to make opposing offenses think twice about wanting to establish a running game.

Agreed. The Dolphins had the fourth best defense in the league last season and their front seven was the reason why. They're good and it will be a huge test for our line and protection schemes.

I like that we're playing a team with a good defense at the beginning of the year. It should really wisen up our offense for the two divisional matches that follow.

I like our matchups on the corners; Will Allen on Santana Moss in particular. Should the line give Campbell time, we should be able to put up some pretty good numbers.

Methinks this game will be ugly, with a capital UG. Cooley will stay in to block as the Skins stick to max-protect. Santana will be double-covered all game, and Campbell won't feel comfident/comfortable with Randle El or Lloyd to get things rolling. Both offenses will look anemic. Skins pull out a win 13-10.

Sounded awfully biased to me. I didn't realize that Pro Bowler Samuels and Randy Thomas weren't considered anchors on the offensive line. Not to mention, 80% of that article was about Miami. Even on the Redskins portion, all about Miami.

From what I read I thought they did a good analysis and the take was fair. The O-line will get tested early and often on Sunday.

I like that we're playing a team with a good defense at the beginning of the year. It should really wisen up our offense for the two divisional matches that follow.

Kevin - Great point. I think this is a really good test for us.

One offensive formation I would like to see a lot in this game is Santana and Randle-El out wide, Cooley in the slot, the Walla Walla Wrecking Ball on the line, and Portis in a single back formation. This is the Colts base offensive package. I am not saying we are the Colts, although I think it would work really well with our personnel. It also might be a good formation against the Dolphins front seven. I like that it frees-up Cooley as a target for Jason and Sellers could be an additional pass-blocker if needed.

I didn't watch the Dolphins much last year, but I've always felt that the Defenses and Physical play of the NFC east often skew my perception of non-league defenses, but.....

The Dolphins defense doesn't scare me? Sure they are a solid crew, but I don't think they would have had nearly the defensive rating that they did last year if were in our division. Maybe I'm a total homer, but that's how I see it...

I do think we may have a hard time with their pass rush.....my play call on the first series would be:

1) Quick pitch to Portis to the weak side

2) Play action rollout deep post to Moss, ARE, or even B Lloyd (who ever has the best match up)

Hitting them deep in the first series or two will really help to hold off the blitzes. I'd like to see them move the pocket with Jason at the beginning just to give our Oline a chance to get in the grove before they have to block for a 5-7 step drop....

The Skins need to get the running game going early. The dolphins have a good and very experienced defense that if allowed to play to its strengths will be able to confuse a young QB like Campbell and make his day very long. If Campbell can get down the field in the first few series, he'll be able to put them on their heals and open things up.

On the other side, the Skins need to play strong. If they can't take the ball away it will be a long hard day for their defense. They'll have to play mistake free against a guy with Trent Green's experience. They should be able to keep the offense down, but it will be one of those games where they have to play every play honest.

I think first play we have to chuck it long! With all this talk about establishing the running game and what not I think it would be a nice surprise to throw it over the top and see if santana can come down with it on a post or fly pattern. We all know that JC's best throw is the fade down the side so this would be a good first play to wake up the dolphins come 1 p.m.

I can see our defensive tackles getting constant push up the middle against the Phins o-line. I also think Landry will have at least 1 sack for his first game. It would be huge for our defense to come out of the gate getting turnovers setting up a short field for our offense to get us the win.

Redskins secondary will show why they are second to none

The Redskins secondary may be the most talented position group on the team. Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, rookie first rounder LaRon Landry, and Fred Smoot & enough said. This unit has the talent to shut down any passing game in the NFL. They under-achieved in 2006 but the addition of Landry should solidify the group even more.

We should definately be able to shut Miami down. Sorry to say but I see Trent Green leaving this game early and throwing a monkey wrench in the Dolphins' plans. Gregg Williams will send somebody after him and my guesses are Smoot or Landry.

The only thing that does worry me is how well we hold up against their pass rush and can we establish any type of run game.

Kendall along with RT Jon Jansen and C Casey Rabach are the anchors of the offensive line.

I assume by "anchors" they are saying that these three will be keeping the offense at the 20 yard line the whole game.

Anybody who has watched any of our games knows that Samuels and Thomas are our best linemen.

I can see our defensive tackles getting constant push up the middle against the Phins o-line. I also think Landry will have at least 1 sack for his first game. It would be huge for our defense to come out of the gate getting turnovers setting up a short field for our offense to get us the win.

Good point, as a Dolphins fan I would have to say our weakness' are O line and secondary, you guys should be able to get a good push up the middle.

Archived