Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Read on the Cover 3

Walking Deadman

The deep in will not be open 20 yards down the feild. Williams didn't show any of the blitzes teams will likely face week to week. They'll have to use play action on running downs or throw on running downs to catch us off guard. Problem is for our opposition (especially Miami's weak line up front on offense) is that Williams will bring pressure 50-75% of the time b/c he has good db's this year. The 20 yard in won't be there very often nor will any go routes or deep patterns with Taylor 20 yards off the ball. Good luck to anyone who plays the Skins D :paranoid:

By the way, Williams won't always implement Cover 3 when he puts 8 up front. He'll mix in some Man in there as well. If Rogers, Springs, and Taylor can sure up the secondary, it's going to be tough to run on our front 8 or pass against pressure and three fairly quick ball hawks. Again, good luuuuck :laugh:

I hope you guys realize this is prevention from the run and gun. They'll do this on first downs and run plays to prevent YAC. Gregg williams said he's going to have the Cbs press more (man to man) and blitz, this will cause turn-overs. The only team I've seen do this well is Tampa back in the day. The colts try to do it but they suck. Its difficult for players to cover so much because gregg has 4 defensive -line men on if it were a 3-4 system it would be ok but having with a 4-3 team can just dink and dunk the entire game.

Only real concern I have about the Miami offense is how adept Green is at getting the ball out quickly. Our pass rush--be it from the down 4 and/or with blitzes, is going to have a tough time getting to the QB before he can dump it off. If our corners are regularly lined up 7-10 yards off the ball, I can see Trent simply taking the underneath stuff over and over until we're forced to bring the corners up. At that point it's a matter of execution and they're going to make some plays on us. And of course if our blitzes do NOT get there in time, we're leaving the secondary exposed.

I feel good about our chances on D in this one, particularly if our O gets us a lead and we can pin our ears back and come after Green ... but in a tight game, the fact Green's a savvy vet with a quick release makes me a little edgy.

Only real concern I have about the Miami offense is how adept Green is at getting the ball out quickly. Our pass rush--be it from the down 4 and/or with blitzes, is going to have a tough time getting to the QB before he can dump it off. If our corners are regularly lined up 7-10 yards off the ball, I can see Trent simply taking the underneath stuff over and over until we're forced to bring the corners up. At that point it's a matter of execution and they're going to make some plays on us. And of course if our blitzes do NOT get there in time, we're leaving the secondary exposed.

I feel good about our chances on D in this one, particularly if our O gets us a lead and we can pin our ears back and come after Green ... but in a tight game, the fact Green's a savvy vet with a quick release makes me a little edgy.

Great point Om. I think your second paragraph holds some great merit. I certainly hope our offense can expose Miami's questionable secondary and give us a good solid lead in the early part of the game. I have a feeling that if we can get to Green several times, he'll rattle enough that we'll be able to force him into some poor decisions. It's getting there, however, that will have to happen without the quick dump off. I'm sure if it does happen, Williams will adjust the scheme a hair at halftime. Perhaps it may be as simple as putting Rocky McIntosh in the hip pocket of any underneath route by a fullback or tight end and Landry in the hip pocket of the other? :whoknows:

I like the analysis... a few observations:

1) I've been a big critic of Carlos' cushion last year, but this preseason I have witnessed a change... He still gives the cushion, but he attacks the receiver from the cushion in an attempt to jump short routes... While this could open him up for the big play, I like his aggressiveness and feel like he has some confidence that he didn't display last season... I believe Carlos plays better closer to the line of scrimmage, but any little change witnessed over last year is a positive.

2) This may be our base defense on most running downs... It's the defense on passing downs that our personnel allows Coach Williams to be most creative. The flexibility of players like Marcus Washington, Laron Landry and Sean Taylor to blitz or drop back in coverage. London Fletcher's ability to drop back in pass coverage and be effective. The depth we have in the secondary, and scheming around the strengths in coverage of players like Smoot (better in man-to-man than zone).

I love how he criticizes Carlos for giving a 100yd cushion, and then his "evidence" is that he's lined up about 10 yards off the LOS on a 2nd and 16. If I'm defensive coordinator, that's EXACTLY where I want my corners lined up on 2nd and 16. Especially a sure tackler like Rogers. Let them have that WR screen. Rogers would tackle the receiver almost as soon as he caught the ball.

I like the analysis... a few observations:

1) I've been a big critic of Carlos' cushion last year, but this preseason I have witnessed a change... He still gives the cushion, but he attacks the receiver from the cushion in an attempt to jump short routes... While this could open him up for the big play, I like his aggressiveness and feel like he has some confidence that he didn't display last season... I believe Carlos plays better closer to the line of scrimmage, but any little change witnessed over last year is a positive.

2) This may be our base defense on most running downs... It's the defense on passing downs that our personnel allows Coach Williams to be most creative. The flexibility of players like Marcus Washington, Laron Landry and Sean Taylor to blitz or drop back in coverage. London Fletcher's ability to drop back in pass coverage and be effective. The depth we have in the secondary, and scheming around the strengths in coverage of players like Smoot (better in man-to-man than zone).

I totally agree with your observations. I think people knock Carlos a little too much without a good understanding. He is NOT going to just line up as he pleases, and I'm sorry, claiming he has some "patented" pre-snap formation is silly. What? Does anyone of us actually believe our coaches just tell the guys what kind of D we'll be playing and they can then line up wherever they see fit?

Anyway, I believe that Carlos has a strength very few CBs with his speed do... and that is his toughness and tackling ability. Taking advantage of this would mean he'd have to sit back AND HOPE that an offense is stupid enough to try a quick screen pass to take advantage of the space offered. This way, he can punish the WR, maybe even causing a fumble in the process. At worse, it'll be a play for minimal yardage and a loss of downs which is a victory for us.

Now, you might say "what if the WR gets past him?"

I'd say "When's the last time that happened?"

Exactly. ;)

Archived