Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Final Cut List/Extreme Coverage Gibbs' Presser 9/01/07

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: FINAL CUTS/GIBBS' PRESSER

09/01/07

:helmet:

Doomsday.

Greetings all, JimmiJo here and for 22 players, today is going to be an introduction to unemployment. I have been here for about 30 minutes. Players have been coming out, but none have been told their status as of yet. The cuts are due by 4:00PM today.

The folks here are trying to figure out how today will transpire in terms of scheduling. No-one expects the cuts to be announced before Gibbs' scheduled presser at 12:30PM. But the cuts are about all everyone wants to hear about. The hope is that Gibbs would make himself available later today in the event there are surprise cuts.

If so, I will be here to get it all for you.

Today's roster moves will signal the official end to preseason. After today we are all in regular season mode. I'm just thankful we have this to deal with as waiting for the opener against Miami in eight days is already killing me.

A week from tomorrow folks. That's all.

Oh, and a special message for all the current and future wives and husbands of fans: In eight days from now a journey will begin. This journey is an integral part of your spouse's being. Don't mess with it. Don't schedule play dates, wedding rehearsals, ring-shopping, house-painting, baby-showers, tupperware-parties, or emergency surgeries that involve your spouse while the game is on. This includes the pre and post game as well as time for ES.

You think I'm joking? Do I look like I'm joking? I'm not joking.

Ok, so I will be here if you want to post a few questions or comments.

12:28PM

We are being told that he will not speak to cuts now so don't expect any news on that. Since most of the writers are here for cuts, this presser should be pretty short. I'm sure he will be asked about the Brunell trade rumor.

To listen to Gibbs' press conference click HERE.

To listen to comments from Renaldo Wynn click HERE

To listen to comments from Ade Jimoh click HERE

Well that turned out a lot better than I thought. Most of us thought it would be a 5-minute press conference since no cuts have been announced.

I actually appreciated it because it gave us a chance to ask questions that evoked more philosophic answers. There may be players cut that prompt furious conversation for a few days, but for me I love hearing the reasoning behind personnel decisions and what Gibbs’ perspective is coming out of the preseason.

Gibbs did a brief summary of the game and while these are often mundane, Gibbs did a good job of explaining some of the tenants of football using the second half as an example.

I asked two questions today. The first was about the good start the offense had the other night. I asked him if this is what he has been looking for in terms of efficient, effective, offensive play. While he said that the team has had some good drives this season, he agreed that to go out and be effective and finish it up with a touchdown was the kind of thing they want to see. He spoke to the Brunell drive as well, although he qualified that both drives happened against Jacksonville’s backups.

By the way, Gibbs was asked if there was ANY truth to the Brunell trade rumor. “No,” was all he said. He was then asked if that meant the Brunell is expected to make the roster. “Yes,” he answered. When asked about the QB rotation he said he hadn’t even thought about it. I believe you coach…

As an aside I was speaking to some of the writers on the false report from WUSA 9. One had not even heard it before receiving an e-mail from someone at home. He then made a few calls and was told it was baseless. After WUSA continued to run with it he checked again and was again told nothing. It looks like a major gaff on the part of WUSA to run with the story in the first place.

Gibbs got into a lot of the rationale on how he chooses players. Gibbs spoke in general terms about what he looks for in players and how he goes through the process of deciding whom to keep. He said this is one of the toughest days of the year for him.

Well, as you know by now, Cooley was extended. That threw a monkey wrench into everything. I am going to cut it short and will be here monitoring on both threads.

2:30PM

Ok, we've been seeing guys come back in, and we surmise it is cause they are getting the news. Some of these folks will wind up on the practice squad, but must be cut first, and then not picked up before tomorrow (noon I believe).

No suprises yet.

I don't want to say any names as they could be coming back for other reasons. That being said if a big name comes in I will tell you at least that much.

4:10PM

Renaldo Wynn has been released. Stand by for audio.

5:40PM

Jimoh just confirmed that he has been released. We still are expecting another 4-5 guys to come through. I will let you know if anyone unexpected shows up.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

September 1, 2007

WASHINGTON REDSKINS RELEASE 23 IN ROSTER CUTDOWN

The Washington Redskins announce today they have released 23 players to reach the NFL mandated 53-player active roster limit. With the players released today the roster currently stands at 52 players.

The Redskins released the following 22 players today:

OL Calvin Armstrong

DT Matthias Askew

FB Fred Beasley

RB Brian Bell

WR Carl Berman

WR Corey Bradford

RB Dee Brown

DE Alex Buzbee

DB John Eubanks

DE Justin Hickman

WR Ryan Hoag

DB Ade Jimoh

OL Kili Lefotu

TE Jake Nordin

QB Jordan Palmer

LB Matt Sinclair

DB Omar Stoutmire

WR Burl Toler

LB Anthony Trucks

DB Byron Westbrook

OL Taylor Whitley

DE Renaldo Wynn

In addition, linebacker Dallas Sartz was waived injured (hamstring).

The Redskins will announce their eight-man practice squad on Sunday.

Ok gang, now that the list is out I am going to get going. It has been an absolute pleasure to report to you from Redskins Park today. I feel like we got some stuff done too.

We broke the Cooley story. We spoke to guys like Renaldo and Ade as they left for the last time. We heard from the coach, twice.

We have the list of players released to consider and discuss. There is also that one open roster spot that calls us to supposition.

From Redskins Park, this is JimmiJo, signing off.

I don't think JimmiJo's joking. :paranoid:

Will be waiting patiently for the news. Thanks for the heads up. Tough though, for many of these young players. No small amount of hard work and dedication has been involved in their quest to realize the dream of being in the NFL. That they have made it even this far is a testament to this. It's got to be a little tough, (no matter how much they may know that this day would probably happen), to get news like this.

Oh, and a special message for all the current and future wives and husbands of fans: In eight days from now a journey will begin. This journey is an integral part of your spouse's being. Don't mess with it. Don't schedule play dates, wedding rehearsals, ring-shopping, house-painting, baby-showers, tupperware-parties, or emergency surgeries that involve your spouse while the game is on. This includes the pre and post game as well as time for ES.

[/center]

Quoted for truth.

Guys I want gone, Dee Brown, Mark Brunell, Ade Jimoh, Khary Campbell, and Rock Cartwright (sorry But Mason has out preformed him). Guys I want still here, Marcus Mason, Stephon Heyer, and Dallas Sartz (I see potential in him). And Guys I want on the PS, Anthony Trucks, Byron Westbrook, Alex Buzbee, Eric Edwards, John Eubanks, Ryan Hoag, Kili Lefotu, Ade Jimoh, and Jordan Palmer. If it were to end up something similar to that I would be a very happy teenager! :)

[

Ok, so I will be here if you want to post a few questions or comments.

John,

It sounds like you are practicing what to say to your wife later today there bud. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guys I want gone, Dee Brown, Mark Brunell, Ade Jimoh, Khary Campbell, and Rock Cartwright (sorry But Mason has out preformed him). Guys I want still here, Marcus Mason, Stephon Heyer, and Dallas Sartz (I see potential in him). And Guys I want on the PS, Anthony Trucks, Byron Westbrook, Alex Buzbee, Eric Edwards, John Eubanks, Ryan Hoag, Kili Lefotu, Ade Jimoh, and Jordan Palmer. If it were to end up something similar to that I would be a very happy teenager! :)

You mean sucky Byron Westbrook that arm tackled Reggie Brown and let him score a TD?

Should something catastrophic happen, and we have to rely on a 2nd or 3rd QB...wouldn't you want someone who knew the system? For all his faults, Brunell knows the system, as much trouble as he apparently had getting it down. Brining in a vet who has to learn the system, or keeping Lil' Palmer in 3 (who looked like absolute trash on Thursday), just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Someone who suggested that Randel El be used as the third QB I think had the best idea. Wasn't B-Mitch used as the emergency QB for a time when he was here? Anyway, if Gibbs wants an actual QB in the #3 role I think Brunell is the best option at the moment.

Archived