Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bubble Players

terpfan

Well, the last preseason game is in the books, so Gibbs and co. should have a pretty good idea of who will make the final roster. I was going to start yet another roster predictionish thread, but I figured I'd focus it down a little bit. Just want to get everyone's thoughts on several bubble players.

Unfortunately, I missed a lot of this game (a few bits of the first half, and a good deal of the second). I might go back and watch parts that I missed (although it seems I didnt miss much in the second half), but I'd be curious who played in this final game and how well.

Here's the players I'm the most interested in this point. Feel free to add.

1. Marcus Mason - OK so this one has been discussed a lot. I thought he looked REALLY good tonight. A lot of bounce in his step.

2. Fred Beasley - Was he playing tonight? He didnt stand out to me, but I was curious if anyone noticed him.

3. Eric Edwards - Probably the only TE that could sneak on after Cooley and Yoder. Havent seen him do a whole lot since the Titans game though.

4. The WRs - I saw Bradford for the first time tonight. Berman made a few plays. Hoag had a nice catch. I still want Doug Gabriel. :)

5. Stephon Heyer - He looks like he's getting better every game to me. I think we may have a steal here.

6. Jason Fabini - Is he good enough to be the ninth OL?

7. Chris Wilson/Alex Buzbee - We still only had one sack total (from a DB). But I did notice Wilson at least getting some hurries. Buzbee looked like he was getting a decent push as well.

8. Lorenzo Alexander - I wonder how good this guy actually is. He obviously hustles, but has he really shown enough to make the team?

9. Ade Jimoh/ John Eubanks/ Byron Westbrook - I still have to think Jimoh leads, but I like some of what Eubanks has done. Westbrook has to have hurt himself with that missed tackle on the Reggie Williams TD.

10. Reed Doughty - He technically started tonight, for what its worth. Could he be ahead of Fox?

So who do you think makes/misses the cut?

I was at the gamr tonight so let me give you my impressions:

1. Marcus Mason looked very good. Can cut on a dime, and a threat to go all the way any play - Because of this and the Skins coachs history of giving a young promising player a chance I expect him to be thrown out of Redskin Park ASAP bag and baggage.

2. Jason Campbell and Cooley look like they could have played catch all night long.

3. Brunell looked good

4. Heyer looked like a veteran

5. Montgomery is the size of a beer truck and dominated the middle of the field

6. The fullback 41 ( Bell maybe ) can't block, can't run to well, and can't catch at all. For this they cut the promising rookie Pete Schmitt? I mean he looked drunk to me.

7. If the Jag's cut either Reggie Williams or the rookie buzzard The Redskins should go after them

8. Good pass rush from 90 and 75 - no sacks, but some good pressure

9. Frost kicks about 20% father in practice than he does in the game.

10. $8.00 for a beer sucks

11. $9.00 for a sandwich sucks - has anyone tried to explain high volume low profit to these owners? What makes more money selling 100 sandwiches for $9.00 or selling 1000 sanwiches for $6.00, and lets say your food cost is about a dollar a sandwich?

1. Marcus Mason looked very good. Can cut on a dime, and a threat to go all the way any play - Because of this and the Skins coachs history of giving a young promising player a chance I expect him to be thrown out of Redskin Park ASAP bag and baggage.

2. Jason Campbell and Cooley look like they could have played catch all night long.

3. Brunell looked good

4. Heyer looked like a veteran

5. Montgomery is the size of a beer truck and dominated the middle of the field

6. The fullback 41 ( Bell maybe ) can't block, can't run to well, and can't catch at all. For this they cut the promising rookie Pete Schmitt? I mean he looked drunk to me.

7. If the Jag's cut either Reggie Williams or the rookie buzzard The Redskins should go after them

8. Good pass rush from 90 and 75 - no sacks, but some good pressure

9. Frost kicks about 20% father in practice than he does in the game.

10. $8.00 for a beer sucks

11. $9.00 for a sandwich sucks - has anyone tried to explain high volume low profit to these owners? What makes more money selling 100 sandwiches for $9.00 or selling 1000 sanwiches for $6.00, and lets say your food cost is about a dollar a sandwich?

Thanks Doc, some interesting observations.:applause:

You have to add Mason to the active roster, even if you are going to keep him inactive or else he'll get picked off by someone else. Anyone remember Buck Ortega? He got lifted off our PS by the Browns. Same with that Ikeche guy. He definitely beats out Blaylock. You already have 3 vets in Portis, Betts, and Rock. Why keep another one? I would rather develop Mason.

Chris Wilson has got to make this team. He's been the most dynamic pass-rusher on the roster, and he's got some real explosion off the ball. He almost murdered one of their QBs today (can't remember which, but I think it may have been Gray; it was on the play where Buzbee almost picked it off), and he's been pressuring them like that all preseason.

You have to add Mason to the active roster, even if you are going to keep him inactive or else he'll get picked off by someone else. Anyone remember Buck Ortega? He got lifted off our PS by the Browns. Same with that Ikeche guy. He definitely beats out Blaylock. You already have 3 vets in Portis, Betts, and Rock. Why keep another one? I would rather develop Mason.

Its been reported Blaylock has been placed on the IR.

Well, sadly Buck was released a few days ago......

I have not been able to watch either of the last 2 games; thanks directv and NFL channel, so I have no clue how the bubble guys played. Quite frankly those of you who did watch tonight did not really shed much light on that either. Other than to tell us how horrible Palmer played.

:snore:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really hope we don't cut Wilson. He's looked consistently good since the scrimmage. He's too small to play every down in our defense but he'd make a heck of a situational pass rusher. Something, *ahem* we're sort of in need of. Between him and Carter plus our blitz packages, 3rd and long wouldn't be too pleasant an experience for opposing QBs.

Chris Wilson has got to make this team. He's been the most dynamic pass-rusher on the roster, and he's got some real explosion off the ball. He almost murdered one of their QBs today (can't remember which, but I think it may have been Gray; it was on the play where Buzbee almost picked it off), and he's been pressuring them like that all preseason.

I'm in the tank for Wilson, too.

that play that Buzbee knocked the ball down,,, man he got his clock cleaned .. the running back nailed him and staggered him,, he never lost his feet and got back to knock that ball down.. excellent play.

I recall watching when it happened, I was just watching him for some reason, and when that RB hit him, I said "Damn! He got nailed!" and then he stumbled back and made the play, and I was quite impressed.

Good heart.

~Bang

Well, Eubanks was carted off, so I think that bodes ill for his chances. Unfortunately it also means another year stuck with Jimoh.

I agree Mason should make it. He's run very effectively in every appearance. Even if it's just filling Duckett's shoes from last season.

I don't like any of the receivers vying for #5. I still think they'll take a hard look at the waiver wire.

How do you guys feel about the 2 local guys? Byron Westbrook prior to the missed tackle and Brian Bell. #41?

They both really hurt their chances last night. Did anybody see the interview with Jerry Gray before the game last night? They asked him which young guys have a chance to help their chances to make the team and the first name that popped out of his mouth was Leigh Torrence. Kind of surprised me.

I liked Hoag over this preseason. He also seems to have a bit of size to him. I liked watching Gibbs talking to him on the sideline.

Mason definately had some nice burst and moves. Wish he was a bit taller, but oh well.

I thought that Doughty looked like a NFL player compared to the rest of the defense. He tackles just about everything around him. Did you see him mash himself against that 265 pound tight end? Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to thave the speed to really cover that well.

Macklin! Sack, passes defended! Yes!

Hope Eubanks is o.k. I don't want him returning a thing, but he looked solid last week as a CB.

They both really hurt their chances last night. Did anybody see the interview with Jerry Gray before the game last night? They asked him which young guys have a chance to help their chances to make the team and the first name that popped out of his mouth was Leigh Torrence. Kind of surprised me.

I figured Torrence had a shot to stick on the roster. For the last few weeks I've kinda assumed that Eubanks and Torrence were fighting it out for the last DB roster spot, and that if either one showed enough to displace Ade Jimoh, they would take his spot.

Archived