Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bubble Players

terpfan

ive said it before... hoag makes a solid 5th WR

you know i had my doubts, but i actually agree with you here. The guy is a solid special teamer and he has shown up and made plays in the receiving game as well. He's a guy that has definitley taken advantage of his opportunities. Unless he's been awful in practice, I think he's earned himself that 5th spot.

In terms of other bubble players, I think Chris Wilson has made the team, if Mason clears waivers then he'll be brought back to the practice squad. Doughty will make the team over Fox and Jimoh in my opinion. Byron Westbrook will be on the practice squad. Alex Buzbee will be on the practice squad. Brian Bell and that other TE edwards have zero chance of sticking around in any fashion and Ryan Boschetti is gone again.

I was at the gamr tonight so let me give you my impressions:

1. Marcus Mason looked very good. Can cut on a dime, and a threat to go all the way any play - Because of this and the Skins coachs history of giving a young promising player a chance I expect him to be thrown out of Redskin Park ASAP bag and baggage.

2. Jason Campbell and Cooley look like they could have played catch all night long.

3. Brunell looked good

4. Heyer looked like a veteran

5. Montgomery is the size of a beer truck and dominated the middle of the field

6. The fullback 41 ( Bell maybe ) can't block, can't run to well, and can't catch at all. For this they cut the promising rookie Pete Schmitt? I mean he looked drunk to me.

7. If the Jag's cut either Reggie Williams or the rookie buzzard The Redskins should go after them

8. Good pass rush from 90 and 75 - no sacks, but some good pressure

9. Frost kicks about 20% father in practice than he does in the game.

10. $8.00 for a beer sucks

11. $9.00 for a sandwich sucks - has anyone tried to explain high volume low profit to these owners? What makes more money selling 100 sandwiches for $9.00 or selling 1000 sanwiches for $6.00, and lets say your food cost is about a dollar a sandwich?

Concession prices also have to do with the Concessionaire... I went to the game against the Ravens and really didn't see the prices as that big of a deal except the price of Beer... Haven't you been to a movie lately?

It's not outrageous if you think about the high costs of maintaining a stadium over maintaining a movie theater.

Mason has excellent vision, but he is too slow to play tailback, and not powerful enough to play short yardage. He played well because he had enormous holes to run through, but he's not quite NFL caliber.

What..too slow..are you serious..vision is something that is hard to teach a running back. As far as speed. You msut not have seen his video from youngstown state..ummm go to youtube sir and type marcus mason in the search. He was picking up positive yards throughout the preseason game with the O-line playing horrible and the other rbs not doing anything. He may lack power but he seems to be a player with heart. I dont know if you were watching the game last night. he wasn't slow. He was cutting back and getting extra yards. he could have ahd a touch down if the wide receiver who was supposed to be blockign didn't block his man towards Mason..dude..:doh:

ps. He's way better than Blaylock or Dee Brown

:2cents:

What..too slow..are you serious..vision is something that is hard to teach a running back. As far as speed. You msut not have seen his video from youngstown state..ummm go to youtube sir and type marcus mason in the search. He was picking up positive yards throughout the preseason game with the O-line playing horrible and the other rbs not doing anything. He may lack power but he seems to be a player with heart. I dont know if you were watching the game last night. he wasn't slow. He was cutting back and getting extra yards. he could have ahd a touch down if the wide receiver who was supposed to be blockign didn't block his man towards Mason..dude..:doh:

ps. He's way better than Blaylock or Dee Brown

:2cents:

I have been saying this all preseason. Mason is the third best running back on the team.

Mason has excellent vision, but he is too slow to play tailback, and not powerful enough to play short yardage. He played well because he had enormous holes to run through, but he's not quite NFL caliber.

This is a CROCK.

Mason is no blazer, by any means, and that, combined with playing at a 1AA school were the reasons he wasn't drafted. But he's not any slower than a Terrell Davis or Curtis Martin. I'm not saying he's the same caliber as those guys, but they were equally unheralded when they started. What Mason DOES have are NFL caliber instincts and cutback ability.

He did NOT have enormous holes. He made some brilliant cutbacks that nobody else on this team is capable of making, save Portis. He has an interesting running style, too, because he runs in one direction (upfield) while twisting and turning his torso so that defenders don't get a clear shot at him.

I thought Mason looked good as a kickoff returner, too. He uses those same instincts, makes a decisive cut, then maximizes his yardage. He doesn't have the breakaway speed that Cartwright has, but he more consistent. I bet Mason would have a higher return average than Cartwright.

In order to place a player on the practice squad, you have to expose them to the waiver wire, and I think Mason's performance last night makes that risky. Frankly, I think he's earned a roster spot.

Another guy that's impressed me is LB Anthony Trucks. He seems to be around the ball nearly as much as Blades. And he made an athletic pass defense on a deep out by the tight end last night. This guy might not make it through waivers, either, if a team is looking to add some linebacker depth.

I think Wilson makes the roster. He gives you some speed off the edge that no one else, save Carter, on this roster give you. Right now, he's a situational pass rusher. But I swear he looks bigger than his listed weight when he's out there on the field.

Buzbee is a good story, but he's VERY raw. He's athletic, but he's got no pass rushing moves. He gets a push on a bull rush, but he doesn't have the raw strength to consistently collapse the pocket. And he doesn't get around the corner very well, usually getting pushed past the pocket. He's got no inside move, and frequently gets bogged down in traffic. He played most of the game last night, so it will be interesting to see what happens with him.

A year of working with the Redskins trainers will give Mason that last bit of power he needs to be a number 2 or even number 1 back in the NFL. He's the right age to be groomed to be a successor to Clinton Portis. He's got the intangibles that just can't be taught. Honestly the only thing I can see keeping Mason from being on the roster is the fact that we're going to keep Portis, Betts, Cartwright, and Sellers. Blaylock is on the IR, so if we do go with 5 RBs, I really have to believe Mason would win over Brown.

what some call slow, is really patience to allow the blocking to form before choosing a hole... most RB never learn that

This was NOT what I was referring to as far as him being slow - it IS EXACTLY what I was referring to when I said he had excellent vision.

There were a couple plays where he cut back and had an open field where even somebody like Cartwright would've taken it to the house, but Mason had several 2nd string guys catch him from behind.

I agree that he looks slow. He's a good football player, though. He may not be quite fast or quick enough to make it in the NFL but he's this year's fan darling, and local, so it's politically incorrect to say so.

Between the two, I think Rock is the better player. Nevertheless, I respect what Mason has done this preseason and I wish him well.

I agree that he looks slow. He's a good football player, though. He may not be quite fast or quick enough to make it in the NFL but he's this year's fan darling, and local, so it's politically incorrect to say so.

Between the two, I think Rock is the better player. Nevertheless, I respect what Mason has done this preseason and I wish him well.

How about giving him a chance first. Wasn't Cartwright a bubble guy back in 2002 and he made the team and has stuck around. Ladell Betts does not have break away speed but he is effective.

How about giving him a chance first. Wasn't Cartwright a bubble guy back in 2002 and he made the team and has stuck around. Ladell Betts does not have break away speed but he is effective.

They might just do that. I would like it if they do because he is a good football player and I'd be happy to have him prove me wrong.

Archived