Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins as Starting QB (Completely Hypothetical so calm down before opening)

Ellis

I recorded the America's Game show on the NFLNetwork of the Baltimore Ravens a few months ago and just now got to watching it. If any of you remember, the Ravens had some QB controversy of their own the year they made it to the Super Bowl. This Super Bowl was won by their second stringer Trent Dilfer who came in mid-season and simplified the offense. (some of you may be thinking "Trent who?" and that's essentially my point.)

In the AG program, there was a point where Ray Lewis says, "The thing about Trent Dilfer that no fan or critic takes into consideration is that... he was practicing against the number one defense in the NFL that year. He practiced against US before he was our starter." (not the exact quote but close)

So with that said... Todd Collins is obviously an unproven QB who has never played a snap in a regular season game. However, he knows Al Saunders offensive system better than anyone other than Al himself. As I've learned earlier, some players on the Chiefs used to call him "Rain Man" because he knew the playbook so well. He is currently the Skins 2nd string QB and he'll be practicing against the Skins defense this season.

If you take into consideration what happened with the Ravens with Trent Dilfer, wouldn't it make plausible sense that Collins could be in the same situation to lead the team into the playoffs and then to the Super Bowl? I think he'd be over-prepared for the NFL given that he'd be practicing against a top 5 defense AND the fact that he knows Saunders system much better than Brunell or Campbell. It's almost like history repeating.

I'm not saying that I have little faith in Jason Campbell. Truth is, I do have faith in Campbell and it's predominately because he hasn't given me a reason not to. (That doesn't mean he's great though. It just means he hasn't made a negative impression yet. He has only played 7 regular season games.)

After seeing the Ravens program, I'm simply in a much better mood knowing that Collins is the best 2nd string QB we could ever hope to have. We as fans should be much happier about it than we have been. Last summer, a lot of us (myself included) were not totally pleased to see Collins on the roster. But now, I'm extremely happy about it.

:cheers:

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Enjoy the season!!

HTTR!

E

I wouldn't say he's the "best" 2nd string QB we could have, I would much rather have a proven veteran with some game left.

And I wouldn't even begin to compare this Redskins defense to that Ravens defense, in any shape or form.

With all that being said, I am glad Collins has looked semi-passable as a backup QB, replacing Brunell.

Eh I think you may be assuming too much in two places.

1. We don't know how good Todd Collins is. We've seen him play even less than Campbell. Sure, he knows the playbook, but that alone doesnt make him a good QB (even a Trent Dilfer-level QB)

2. It's a little early to call our defense top 5. Sure, they have looked good so far, but who knows how good they will actually be. They are definitely not as good as that 2000 Ravens defense was. That may have been the best defense of all time.

I do like what Collins has shown so far, but I dont know how confident I would be in him taking us to the playoffs. Our defense can't carry us like that Ravens defense did. We dont make as many big plays (turnovers, scores) as they did, or do. At least we havent proven that to this point.

Hmmm, very interesting way of looking at things. And I like some of the points and situations that you brought up.

The only thing that troubles me is that you said that Collins is "unproven." Well, he has been in the league for 12 years now and has yet to start in an NFL game. IMO that proves that he lacks something/things that coaches need in their QB to lead their team all the way.

While I do understand the comparison of the 2000 Ravens D vs the 2007 Redskins D is not the best analogy... I'm confident that the Redskins have put the Gregg Williams D that he's famous for back together. Thus... It'll be top 5 again. So that's more of a prediction than a statement by me. Furthermore, the point I'm making is that Collins is not practicing against "chumps".

And yes, Collins is unproven. I've said that and it's definitely a cause for concern. But I can't help but take notice of who he's practicing against which is what's preparing him for the possiblities of starting one day, God forbid we ever lost Campbell. I do know that ever since the Steelers preseason game, the thought did scare us. But after considering what happened to the Ravens, it's nice to know that the 2nd string QB is in a much better position to take the reigns than pulling in a vet QB to learn a complex Saunders system.

Umm, not quite the same thing.

1) The Ravens D were great before that and that was a record setting defense in every way. We don't cause TO's, we don't get many sacks, etc.

2) Trent Dilfer was a Top 5 drafted QB (I believe, def top 10). Collins was nothing of that sort. Also on top of that, Dilfer had a very strong and accurate arm. Just stone feet and bad decision making, early in his career. Collins has nothing but knowledge of the system, and a somewhat accurate arm.

3) Trent Dilfer had started plenty of games early in his career wit TB. Collins has yet to start a game in 6 years and has only a handful of starts to begin with.

So with those three things in mind, this is not quite the same thing.

But, gotta love the optimism, but it doesn't help when realism kicks in.

Not quite the same situation. First, he practiced against a defense far better than ours, second, that same defense was SO good that a mediocre QB could win the superbowl. For further reference, see Tampa Bay. Our defense isnt that good, even with a resurgence this season. Collins has been a pleasant surprise so far, but lets not go overboard with it

Finally, yes, Todd Collins has played snaps in regular season games.

I recorded the America's Game show on the NFLNetwork of the Baltimore Ravens a few months ago and just now got to watching it. If any of you remember, the Ravens had some QB controversy of their own the year they made it to the Super Bowl. This Super Bowl was won by their second stringer Trent Dilfer who came in mid-season and simplified the offense. (some of you may be thinking "Trent who?" and that's essentially my point.)

In the AG program, there was a point where Ray Lewis says, "The thing about Trent Dilfer that no fan or critic takes into consideration is that... he was practicing against the number one defense in the NFL that year. He practiced against US before he was our starter." (not the exact quote but close)

So with that said... Todd Collins is obviously an unproven QB who has never played a snap in a regular season game. However, he knows Al Saunders offensive system better than anyone other than Al himself. As I've learned earlier, some players on the Chiefs used to call him "Rain Man" because he knew the playbook so well. He is currently the Skins 2nd string QB and he'll be practicing against the Skins defense this season.

If you take into consideration what happened with the Ravens with Trent Dilfer, wouldn't it make plausible sense that Collins could be in the same situation to lead the team into the playoffs and then to the Super Bowl? I think he'd be over-prepared for the NFL given that he'd be practicing against a top 5 defense AND the fact that he knows Saunders system much better than Brunell or Campbell. It's almost like history repeating.

I'm not saying that I have little faith in Jason Campbell. Truth is, I do have faith in Campbell and it's predominately because he hasn't given me a reason not to. (That doesn't mean he's great though. It just means he hasn't made a negative impression yet. He has only played 7 regular season games.)

After seeing the Ravens program, I'm simply in a much better mood knowing that Collins is the best 2nd string QB we could ever hope to have. We as fans should be much happier about it than we have been. Last summer, a lot of us (myself included) were not totally pleased to see Collins on the roster. But now, I'm extremely happy about it.

:cheers:

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Enjoy the season!!

HTTR!

E

Why is there this pervasive assumption that Collins knows the system infinitely better than Campbell or Brunell. Both Campbell and Brunell have been in the system for over a year. Both of them have starting experience in the system (which Collins does not). After 1 year each in the system, I would HOPE that the difference between Campbell/Brunell's and Collins' respective knowledge of the system would be very small.

Add that to the fact that:

1. Brunell has started a zillion more games than Collins

2. Brunell has rapport with the starting receivers, esp. Santana Moss & Cooley.

3. Brunell did a decent, if unspectacular, job as starter last season.

And you must conclude that Brunell is the ideal candidate for #2 QB, not Collins. Collins has had 1 good quarter against a starting defense in preseason...let's not let this get out of hand.

1991 Depth Chart

QB

1. Mark Rypien

2. Jeff Rutledge

3. Stan Humphries

2007 is in good shape!

How so, in comparison?

2007:

1. Campbell

2. Brunell

3. Collins

You just know that's how the depth chart will play out. :doh:

We had some pretty darn good QB's in 2001. Ryp had one of the best seasons ever for the position that year. One of my faves, being a skins fan for 40+ years. ;)

If you ask me, if Jason C. doesn't pan out this year, we're f'd. :(

Does anyone else think that "the system" is the most vague, over-emphasized and saturated phrase used by the entire world? There is so much more to football than knowing where to go with the ball. Arm strength, escapability, sliding in the pocket, deep touch, the ability to look off receivers, improvisation....

this is what makes a great QB. Sure knowing the system like the back of your hand certainly helps these things become second nature, but they were never first nature with Collins which is why he has taken hardly any snaps at this level. That being said, I'm very glad he has emerged as probably beating out Brunell because he is a much better option.

Interesting post/thread and worth the read. Dilfer certainly had more regular season experience and some limited success in games that counted so I don't think him and Collins are a match. I am certainly not ready to compare this D to the Ravens D of that year although we did beat them that year 10-7, God Bless You Kevin Mitchell.

Does anyone else think that "the system" is the most vague, over-emphasized and saturated phrase used by the entire world?

Yessir!

It is by now borderline cliche to be perfectly fair.

I dont think (for reasons already stated) that we can even think to have a D as potent as Baltimores was that year. You could have made a better case for the Bears last year to be akin to Baltimore of seasons past. Grossman on a good day was easily equatable to Dilfer of 2000 and look what happened in Chi-town.

• 4 months later...

Archived