Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the word on How CP26 did in practice today?(Mod Edited Title)

CAMPBELL2MOSS4SIX

8. Please use descriptive and accurate subject titles for your posts.

Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It also serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed, and potentially prevents multiple threads being started on the same topic.

Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, provided without the editorializing of titles by members.

I'm no poker ace, but just going by CP's last press interview on redskins.com, I think he is nursing a genuine injury, not just pretending to avoid the pre-season

Somebody sold you a bill of goods. No man, I have to disagree. He doesn't want to risk injuring himself in the preseason. The only way for Gibbs to save face and not sound like he's showing favoritism with anyone is to say, "he's got a knee there and we'll just have to be careful and see when the doctors say he can go full go....blah blah blah" All smoke and mirrors for the fact that Portis doesn't want to play the preseason just like LT. CP is a tank and just b/c he got banged up one year and had to sit out (and rightfully so since the season was over anyway) doesn't mean he's all of a sudden injury prone. The guy is ready and all the media speculation is just that, speculation. He's out to prove he can be that 1500 yard Back each and every year IMO.

HTTR

He doesn't want to risk injuring himself in the preseason. The only way for Gibbs to save face and not sound like he's showing favoritism with anyone is to say, "he's got a knee there and we'll just have to be careful and see when the doctors say he can go full go....blah blah blah" All smoke and mirrors for the fact that Portis doesn't want to play the preseason just like LT.

You think Gibbs is willing to sacrifice Portis's practice time just so that he doesn't have to play in the preseason? I don't know......doesn't seem like something Gibbs would do.

You think Gibbs is willing to sacrifice Portis's practice time just so that he doesn't have to play in the preseason? I don't know......doesn't seem like something Gibbs would do.

In the end, though, Gibbs is no dummy. He knows which side his bread is buttered.....in the running game. No way he risks Portis in preseason.....again. This offense, as was shown with Betts last year, goes only so far as the running backs take it. And, with an obvious elite back in Portis, you do what you have to. In this case, you mitigate the fallout and avoid setting a precident....you call out "knee injury" as loudly as you can to whomever is willing to listen.......

....and you sit the guy down until it counts.

So.....to answer your question: YES. Capital Y - E - S........he'd risk the practice time.

HTTR

(Gee.......do I have an opinion on this, or what? :silly: )

I have to agree that Gibbs is doing things differently...He definitely doesnt like to cut vets but he is doing it, much to everyones surprise. I for one thinks Gibbs is coaching with more of a sense of urgency then last year...I firmly believe Portis is good to go 100%..hope I am right:eaglesuck

I know it's been mentioned in this forum a lot already, but the whole point here is that Tomlinson actually practices in preseason. CP isn't even really doing THAT. He's not hurt bad, but he's hurt and he knows it could get worse- NOT better- if he even practices on it. That concerns me.

practice time for a 5 year vet with multiple 1500 yard seasons isnt a big deal. nobody is complaining about LT sitting out the preseason, but everyones complaining about portis missing time and its silly. both are sitting because they dont wanna get injured because they are huge pieces of that teams offense.

you think gores hand is really broken? he probably starts week one, but hes out for the preseason. theres plenty of guys who dont play very much in the preseason for just this reason.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the difference between LT and Portis is that LT is PRACTICING every day, just not playing in the games. Portis has barely practiced this month.

I don't care how good of shape you are in, it takes time to get in game shape. His legs will be weary and he will tire out quicker due to his lack of play. It will take him a few weeks to hit peak form. The lack of practice will impact his play, no doubt about it.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the difference between LT and Portis is that LT is PRACTICING every day, just not playing in the games. Portis has barely practiced this month.

I don't care how good of shape you are in, it takes time to get in game shape. His legs will be weary and he will tire out quicker due to his lack of play. It will take him a few weeks to hit peak form. The lack of practice will impact his play, no doubt about it.

very true..and that is why we have Ladell Betts...

Not sure how much impact it will have on the games though as we have an early bye again (twice in three years we have had the first bye) and the whole offence will be rusty with Samuels back new LG and JC learning his way ...

I do think Portis isn't healthy, the other difference between LT and him, and the Tendonitis is something you could go on if you absolutly must but in the pre-season and practice there is no point risking further injury at this stage.

obviously LT is better than portis, but its the idea behind it. guys with that much worth to the team in a position thats as physical as runningback dont need to start meaningless preseason games.

hopefully over the next 10 days portis gets enough work in so he can be ready to go.

I don't think anyone should be playing in meaningless games. Preseason should be abolished.

There is really no way that after watching portis on redskins.com you could believe that he is seriously hurting. Each time i see him i am more convinced that it is all an act....which is awesome. A week ago he said he couldn't move side to side. COULDN'T MOVE SIDE TO SIDE! ONE WEEK AGO! now all of a sudden he is about to play in a pre-season game? ummmm is there anyway that is even possible? no. clearly he's faking and clearly he's gonna tear it up come the dolphins game.

I know it's been mentioned in this forum a lot already, but the whole point here is that Tomlinson actually practices in preseason. CP isn't even really doing THAT. He's not hurt bad, but he's hurt and he knows it could get worse- NOT better- if he even practices on it. That concerns me.

chachie...it's not that CP is injured....it's that his knee is inflamed. big differnce from a no kidding injury! don't stress us bubba!

I don't think anyone should be playing in meaningless games. Preseason should be abolished.

:doh:

preseason games aren't meaningless to the vast majority of players - the guys who aren't super-studs or entrenched starters.

Why don't you ask James Thrash how meaningless preseason is? That man wouldn't have played in a single NFL game if it weren't for the preseason.

It's not that LT doesn't want to play (I didn't get a quote from him, but I couldn't imagine him saying that), it's more like the SD FO doesn't want to risk their franchise back getting injured. Emmitt Smith hardly played preseason for a reason. I think we're just being cautious and avoiding a disaster with CP.

i agree that clinton portis is not in the same league as LT.... i believe LT is pretty much on an island by himself. but in terms of what you mean to your team:

CP is as big a factor to the redskins winning as LT is to the chargers winning

the only reason i think he needs some playing time is to get back into the real speed of football again. its been a long time since hes taken a snap. and whats worse, he doesnt have much experience with al saunders offense that they say has even changed from last year. plus the fact that hes never gotten the ball from JC.... if hes healthy, a couple snaps at preseason could only help

:doh:

preseason games aren't meaningless to the vast majority of players - the guys who aren't super-studs or entrenched starters.

Why don't you ask James Thrash how meaningless preseason is? That man wouldn't have played in a single NFL game if it weren't for the preseason.

I think the coaches are smart enough to know who the best players are without the need for 4 preseason games. No other level of play requires games to assess talent. Marginal players may not get the opportunity to beat out another marginal player by proving it in a game, but that's a small price to pay to avoid season killing injuries in unnecessary games.

Archived