Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suisham = Stover of 2000? (as far as role...) Merged

[S.S.F. | Nero]

Could Suisham end up playing a bigger role this year than some of us might suspect?

I know the offense has yet to hit its full stride without some of its marquee players .... but it might not have to early in the season.

:helmet:

If our Defense (and Special Teams) continues to play well, and our offense is given good/great field position on a consistent basis, then they can afford to not be firing on all cylinders to begin the season.

This is where Suisham comes in and the comparisons to Matt Stover with regard to role begin.

If Suisham can perform at a high level, we'll at least be contending in all games.

The way I see it, 5 FG's beats two TD's (without 2pt conversions).

When the Ravens went on their run in 2000, they hit a stretch of like 5 games without scoring an offensive TD. In that time, Stover helped carry them with his leg.

I hope Suisham shines this year as the Skins have been shaky at kicker for some time now.

If he does, he could save some games for us.

Championship teams always win a couple of games per year on the leg of their kicker.

Fingers crossed.......

I think you bring up a good point. Since Portis and Samuels have been out, that could very well affect our offensive flow. However, Stover is/was a proven kicker. Suisham has proven to be ok so far. Didnt he miss the first kick this preseason? Anyway, I too hope he pans out. I cant remember the last time I was confident when we sent out the field goal unit!

This could very well be a sleeper thread we look back on at the end of the season and proclaim you to be of genius status! ;)

Suisham no doubt has a strong leg and has been very accurate 8/9 last year and so far this pre-season. He also has the ability to kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs which is something we have not had here in a long time. Comparisons of offense and defense cannot be fairly done unless we win a championship no matter how good each have looked this pre-season.

My personal opinion for our defense will be that of how we were during the 05 season. We are so much faster this year and have good depth in our secondary and LB...I am excited about this unit and can't wait to see it in full motion against the phins opening day.

Suisham no doubt has a strong leg and has been very accurate 8/9 last year and so far this pre-season. He also has the ability to kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs which is something we have not had here in a long time.

He must have really worked on his strength this offseason because I dont remember him kicking touchbacks last season. Thats great, because he drilled that 45 yarder last night with plenty to spare! It sure would be nice to know you have an automatic 3 when you send the kicker out.

Suisham has proven to be ok so far. Didnt he miss the first kick this preseason? Anyway, I too hope he pans out. QUOTE]

I agree he hasn't proven anything yet, outside of the fact that he has a very strong leg and is pretty darn accurate.

He has missed two this preseason. The first kick was a 49 yarder that missed by a yard and would have gone an addtional 10 to 15 yards as it hit the upright almost at the top.

This passed week he made a 35 and 45 yard field goal and last week, if given the chance to beat the Steelers, before the penalties put us out of field goal range, I have no doubt that he would've made these field goals.

I'm happy to have Suisham and feel he will be a Redskin for quite some time. Of course we thought this when we were getting Hall in 2003. He had 1 decent year as a skin, the other years he was on IR.

Not that it matters too much with kickers, but he is only 24 also. If he turns out to be a good kicker, he will be doing it for the Skins for a long time. I really hope he is the answer to the Skins kicking woes for the last 10-15 years. Go Suisham!!

Accuracy + kicking off into the endzone? He's not as automatic as some others I've seen, but for the Redskins, he's the best kicker in a long, long, long time. When we make him kick from 45 to 55, I expect 2 out of 3, but this kid's got the leg to shoot for a 60 yarder. It's a nice option to have in a tight game or one that looks tied at the end of regulation.

Add in the age factor and here's another we need to sign to a long-term contract.

We won't know what we have in Suisham until he gets a full seasons worth of attempts with the same team under his belt.

From what I've seen so far, looks pretty good.... stong leg and 8 of 9 last season.

It took Stover a few years (70 or so attempts) to get to the "elite" level.

They had a pretty good article on Stover that accompanied the Suisham article in Saturday's Post. Stover has been really the only kicker in Ravens history, and mentioned that he entered the league in 1991 for Cleveland (the old Ravens), so has he essentially been with the same team for 17 seasons? Pretty remarkable.

I think you bring up a good point. Since Portis and Samuels have been out, that could very well affect our offensive flow. However, Stover is/was a proven kicker. Suisham has proven to be ok so far. Didnt he miss the first kick this preseason? Anyway, I too hope he pans out. I cant remember the last time I was confident when we sent out the field goal unit!

This could very well be a sleeper thread we look back on at the end of the season and proclaim you to be of genius status! ;)

Eddy Murray, was the last time for me

Nero, good post and certainly if he can consistently make those 45-50 yarders we will absolutely be in every ball game. With this D and him kicking solidly I don't see anyone (not even the mighty Pats) running us out of the building. Suisham is so important but has yet to be talked about as a point of emphasis. He looks good as well. Everyone seems to be stepping it up a notch. You really have to like the direction this team is headed. Nice Post :applause:

I think the other key about Stover and the 2000 Ravens was field position. As you said, 5 FGs beats 2 TDs, but that means you have to get into opponents' territory 3 more times. If you're going to rely on a FG kicker and a sometimes-shaky offense, you NEED a defense that will put you in good field position, by forcing both 3-and-outs AND turnovers.

In other words, if Suisham is to play such a big role in our success, it will mean we can't get by with simply playing "bend-but-don't break" defense; GW will have to pin the old ears back and get after people. The good news is, from what we've seen so far, that could definitely happen this year. The coverage has been better, the DL has been inspired, and most importantly, everyone BELIEVES again. I think, when all is said and done, the defense will be the key to the season.

Before we champion this guy our next kicker for years to come, lets see him make a few PRESSURE kicks, there are some many guys that can hit with 100% accuracy from anywhere on the field in practice, but who choke when under pressure (Neil Rackers)

I see the point on kicking under pressure. However there's a lot of pressure in bringing in a guy who hasn't stuck elsewhere despite a strong leg and basically throwing him on the field and telling him to earn a job.

He passed that one with flying colours (missed his first, kicked his last 8).

Next is to see if he can kick game winning FGs on a regular basis, which is a different type of pressure than that he faced last season. If he passes this test we have a kicker for 10 years.

']Could Suisham end up playing a bigger role this year than some of us might suspect?

I know the offense has yet to hit its full stride without some of its marquee players .... but it might not have to early in the season.

If our Defense (and Special Teams) continues to play well' date=' and our offense is given good/great field position on a consistent basis, then they can afford to not be firing on all cylinders to begin the season.

This is where Suisham comes in and the comparisons to Matt Stover with regard to role begin.

If Suisham can perform at a high level, we'll at least be contending in all games.

When the Ravens went on their run in 2000, they hit a stretch of like 5 games without scoring an offensive TD. In that time, Stover helped carry them with his leg.

I hope Suisham shines this year as the Skins have been shaky at kicker for some time now.

Championship teams always win a couple of games per year on the leg of their kicker.

Fingers crossed.......[/quote']

I agree. Suisham has looked really good. He's kicking the ball into the endzone on kickoff's, and he's nailing his FGs. Even if our redzone offense struggles, if we can somewhat depend on 3 points.... thats HUGE. Gibbs can play his type of football; control the ball and the game.

1994 Lohmiller's last year for me.

']Could Suisham end up playing a bigger role this year than some of us might suspect?

If our Defense (and Special Teams) continues to play well' date=' and our offense is given good/great field position on a consistent basis, then they can afford to not be firing on all cylinders to begin the season.

Fingers crossed.......[/quote']

Good post and I hope we don't need him too much this season but with the ultra close games we play in Gibbs II the opportunity will be there for him.

I just read somewhere that Stover turns 40 in January. That guy has been around forever it seems and yet is still one of the tops.

They had a pretty good article on Stover that accompanied the Suisham article in Saturday's Post. Stover has been really the only kicker in Ravens history, and mentioned that he entered the league in 1991 for Cleveland (the old Ravens), so has he essentially been with the same team for 17 seasons? Pretty remarkable.

And Jason Hanson and Jason Elam have been with Detroit and Denver almost as long.

I hope all we see Suisham do is kick extra points. 63 of them to break the franchise record. With an occasional FG. Seriously though, he looks good. I've done nothing but cringe everytime we have had to attempt a kick longer than 35 yds in the last 15 years.

Archived