Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog - Pete Kendall To The Rescue

JimmiJo

Posted 8/17:

Pete Kendall

Got a bunch of emails about him the last few weeks, and talked to some NFL people today (from organizations other than the Skins) who have been in contact witht he Jets. As I have suspected, they are not looking to move the valuable O Lineman now, despite his clashes with the organization.

He continues to practice with the first team and is playing well in camp and looks like a starter for them. It's awful tough to find quality linemen at this time of year. My best guess is maybe they try to find a half-decent guard off the scrap heat in a few weeks after the first round of cuts, but the trade market could be stale.

Indeed. :)

gibbs decided to gamble with our oline and lost big time. now we have to give up future potential players for 34 year old guys looking to get paid. kendall will be fine most likely (if not, my lord will it get ugly) but this giving up draft picks NEEDS to stop. and it doesnt look like theres any sign of it stopping whatsoever.

If it's a 4th or a 5th pick in 2009 and he only costs us $2.7M (a better player and less than half the cap-hit of Derrick Dockery), then we got a steal. A 34 year old guard can play another 3+ years. Our line is old, but this helps our depth by moving players we could rely on in a pinch to backup. Hell, if he can only play 2 more years, lets' give up a 2012 second day pick for another solid veteran then instead of someone who won't be ready to contribute until 2015. Anyway, we shouldn't have to talk about the left-side of the line being a problem anymore.

The New York Jets have traded disgruntled left guard Pete Kendall to the Washington Redskins for a fourth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, according to the NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Seriously guys, how long would it have taken you to double-check your facts to realize this is not remotely possible. He might as well have said the Jets traded Kendall to the Skins for Champ Bailey. :doh:

2 times the player Dock was for Half the price.

Start bashing the FRONT OFFICE people. They dont have a clue do they?

He is pro bowl quality. Ray Brown played til he was 43.....Kendall has got 4 more years in him. He can play any interior line position and Now we have monster depth in Heyer and Wade at Tackle.

Cue the music....cue the bashing of Vinny. This FO doesnt know anything. We sat back and waited for the asking price to drop and WHAM! he is a redskin.

Once again we F'ed the Jets. The only team we seem to get one over on all the time (except John Hall).

HTTR!

Sounds like I'll be in the minority but I'm not terribly excited by this news.

What's troubling about this is not only the continuation of the trend toward giving up future value in panicked training camp moves (a la TJ Duckett), but also the notion that they had the entire offseason to address Dockery's departure, and responded poorly.

Rather than draft a guard, or even make a modest free agent signing, they chose to rely on two players who spent last season WITH THE TEAM. In other words, they were fully known commodities to Gibbs, Bugel, Saunders, Snyder, and anyone else you who may have weighed in on this decision. They knew exactly what they were getting in Wade and Pucillo and now, two weeks into training camp, they're scrambling to fill an urgent need.

We don't have full confirmation just yeat as to what they gave up in return but if it's a 2009 pick, this could easily be a situation where Kendall is gone by the time they need to sacrifice the pick. Certainly, Kendall has been a durable player throughout his career but he is 34 years old and regardless of the rare exceptions like Ray Brown or Darrell Green, that is an age where players begin to break down. It's entirely possible he only plays a couple more years.

any reason the jets let this guy go if hes so good? i think he dropped down the depth charts for a rookie. can anyone explain this?

Because they didn't want to pay him.

This is a very good move for the Skins at this time. Kendall is a smart, durable, solid guard. Suddenly the team goes from being thin on the line to have good starters at all positions with some nice, versatile depth with Wade and Pucillo.

I can't believe anybody wouldn't be excited about this move.

any reason the jets let this guy go if hes so good? i think he dropped down the depth charts for a rookie. can anyone explain this?

Money. His contract was for $1.7, he wanted a million more. The Jets could keep a disgruntled player or trade him. We could not have traded a fourth in 2008, but I'd bet it wasn't a fourth in 2009 either.

The explanation is you're wrong. He was penciled in as the starter and being held out because of a "shoulder injury" (read: make sure he doesn't get hurt while we shop him around, but also make sure he stays on the exercise bike).

Dude wanted a raise, then Jets didn't want to pay. Simple as that.

Given the "experiment" with the line these few weeks, this was a necessary move. I agree with PruF that there is something disappointing in the way the FO went about this, but, given where we are today, this is better than we could have expected, IMO.

Kendall solidifies the OL, its pretty obvious now Wade is much more suited to play RT. This is the best line we have had in the modern Gibbs era...we better not give up more than 16 sacks and who ever the RB is should eclipse 1200 yards easily.

Acrimony with the front office. Kendall believes he was promised a renegotiated contract that the Jets ignored, and it became ugly. He started complaining publicly about it, and they punished him. They assigned him to the rookie dorm (he's 34), dropped him from first string to third, and made him play center (he intentionally fumbled two shotgun snaps because of it).

They were never going to reconcile.

CONGRATS TO THE F.O. FOR PULLING THIS ONE OFF AND SHOWING SOME SORT OF INTELLIGENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for yelling i just jumped up and tripped in my office because of this!!!!!!! I am one seriously happy camper!!!

Archived