Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog - Pete Kendall To The Rescue

JimmiJo

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Pete Kendall To The Rescue

The Redskins have acquired guard Pete Kendall from the New York Jets to fill their void at left guard, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Kendall, who has endured a rocky relationship with Jets management in recent years, is a smart, capable veteran who can replace departed free agent Derrick Dockery. He can play all three interior positions but the Redskins have an immediate need at left guard, with tackle Todd Wade struggling to make the transition to that position, and relying on reserve Mike Pucillo in that spot in last week's preseason game.

Kendall, who turns 34 next month, had begin working with the Jets starters again in recent weeks, and over the weekend teams that inquired about his availability were told that New York planned to keep him. However, the Redskins were eager to firm up the left side of their line - quarterback Jason Campbell was nearly lost for the season due to a hit Saturday night and could miss the remainder of the preseason - and Kendall was considered the best option available.

Kendall (6-5, 292) is in his 12th year and spent the last 4 with the Jets and was a first round pick by Seattle in 1996. He has started 156 games.

Click on link for full article...

The Redskins have been averse to trading any more 2008 draft picks - their 4th rounder is already gone from last year's acquisition of TJ Duckett - and I have not been able to nail down if they gave up a 4th or a 5th in 2009, but it's believed to be one of those two picks. They gave Kendall a $1 million raise as part of the deal as well, so he'll make $2.7 million this season.

Wow.

Let Future Generations know that The Todd Wade Experience lasted one pre-season game. But Kendall is a pretty good player. The line should be fine now for the short-term.

What did we give up?

gibbs decided to gamble with our oline and lost big time. now we have to give up future potential players for 34 year old guys looking to get paid. kendall will be fine most likely (if not, my lord will it get ugly) but this giving up draft picks NEEDS to stop. and it doesnt look like theres any sign of it stopping whatsoever.

"Like people told me over the weekend, they were asking for trouble with the combinations they had."

People=My mancrushes in the Ravens' front office

He's conspicuously silent on Heyer. Seems like only yesterday that this kid was the focal point of all our O-line woes. Now it was LG all along.

Wonder how much Marshall's salary cap savings contributed to Kendall's raise.

He's an above-average guard who figures to have two to three good years left in him. This is a solid move given our problems there and short-term risks to Campbell's blind side due to the problems on the left side of the line in general.

The question now is where does Wade go, and will he challenge Jansen for the RT spot?

This is what happens when you don't sign your young homegrown free agents before they hit the open market. They get overpaid by some other team and you end up getting forced to trade away future draft picks for 34 year old players.

I don't care what the Dockery haters say, he was very important to the offensive line. He didn't deserve the contract he got but it could have been avoided.

gibbs decided to gamble with our oline and lost big time. now we have to give up future potential players for 34 year old guys looking to get paid. kendall will be fine most likely (if not, my lord will it get ugly) but this giving up draft picks NEEDS to stop. and it doesnt look like theres any sign of it stopping whatsoever.

I agree, handing out draft picks like they are candy bars is getting old!!! At least it doesn't look like we got hosed on this one like all the rest. :dallasuck

This is what happens when you don't sign your young homegrown free agents before they hit the open market. They get overpaid by some other team and you end up getting forced to trade away future draft picks for 34 year old players.

I don't care what the Dockery haters say, he was very important to the offensive line. He didn't deserve the contract he got but it could have been avoided.

did you ever think dock's agent knew he'd be getting a pay day. Skins prolly gave him a decent deal but his agent knew the market and prolly knew what type of deal he could get. Its a business.

He's an above-average guard who figures to have two to three good years left in him. This is a solid move given our problems there and short-term risks to Campbell's blind side due to the problems on the left side of the line in general.

The question now is where does Wade go, and will he challenge Jansen for the RT spot?

I don't think they'll jerk with Heyer by dropping him behind Wade. They've gone out of their way this preseason to bolster this kid's confidence.

They need Wade to push Jansen, IMO.

At least Kendall came a lot cheaper than Leonard Davis.

Archived