Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bush compares Iraq to Vientam

Dumbsheet

Hes a really smrat presidant. Irag is just like Vientman. He always knows the write thing to say to take a polarize nation and make it blieve. He will be ocnsidered great won day. What od you think? Soon we will win the fight agains the tarorists.

yo diggity diggity diggity

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082200323.html?hpid=topnews

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 22 -- President Bush defended his ongoing military commitment in Iraq by linking the conflict there to the Vietnam War, arguing Wednesday that withdrawing U.S. troops would lead to widespread death and suffering as it did in Southeast Asia three decades ago.

"One unmistakable legacy of Vietnam is that the price of America's withdrawal was paid by millions of innocent citizens whose agonies would add to our vocabulary new terms like 'boat people,' 'reeducation camps' and 'killing fields,' " Bush told a receptive audience at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention.

enlarge_tab.gif

PH2007082201260.jpg President Bush pauses during a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convertion on Wednesday, August 22, 2007, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) (Evan Vucci - AP)

082207-6v_228.jpg Play Video

VIDEO</SPAN> | President Bush, scrambling to show he has not abandoned Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, offered a fresh endorsement on Wednesday.

Hes a really smrat presidant. Irag is just like Vientman. He always knows the write thing to say to take a polarize nation and make it blieve. He will be ocnsidered great won day. What od you think? Soon we will win the fight agains the tarorists.

yo diggity diggity diggity

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082200323.html?hpid=topnews

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 22 -- President Bush defended his ongoing military commitment in Iraq by linking the conflict there to the Vietnam War, arguing Wednesday that withdrawing U.S. troops would lead to widespread death and suffering as it did in Southeast Asia three decades ago.

"One unmistakable legacy of Vietnam is that the price of America's withdrawal was paid by millions of innocent citizens whose agonies would add to our vocabulary new terms like 'boat people,' 'reeducation camps' and 'killing fields,' " Bush told a receptive audience at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention.

enlarge_tab.gif

PH2007082201260.jpg President Bush pauses during a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convertion on Wednesday, August 22, 2007, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) (Evan Vucci - AP)

082207-6v_228.jpg Play Video

VIDEO</SPAN> | President Bush, scrambling to show he has not abandoned Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, offered a fresh endorsement on Wednesday.

Hes trying to divide the Nation get all of the Republicans on his side, at least then he could gain more support of his constituency. Also, it can delay the inevitable of the withdrawal of US troops and he can save himself with his party.

-Grant

It's like Vietnam in that we insist on allowing politicians and public opinion to dictate strategy.

It's like Vietnam in that we force our soldiers to fight by antiquated rules of engagement that the enemy has no regard for.

~Bang

I can't believe he said that.

I'm not saying Iraq is like Vietnam, and I'm not saying it isn't. But when your opponents have spent the past 4 years telling anyone who listen that this war will be another Vietnam, and you've spent the past 4 years denying that, you have to be out of your mind to suddenly turn around and compare the war to Vietnam.

What the hell was Bush thinking? :doh:

What do you suggest we do, bomb Baghdad into flat ground?

I suggest that when you are selling the war to the American public, and one of your big selling points is that it won't be another Vietnam, you cannot four years later liken the war to Vietnam and hope to retain a shred of political integrity.

Maybe Bush was asked a question about the comparison and answered it in that context. I cannot imagine he'd be stupid enough to bring it up himself.

I suggest that when you are selling the war to the American public, and one of your big selling points is that it won't be another Vietnam, you cannot four years later liken the war to Vietnam and hope to retain a shred of political integrity.

He didnt liken the war to Vietnam, he said we DONT want it to become the same situation by withdrawing. But dont let facts get in the way of a good old ES :pooh: on the President :jerk: session. :)

Please consider the source, of both the article and the thread, before you swallow whats being cast.

What do you suggest we do, bomb Baghdad into flat ground?

-Grant

I'm not a military strategist. I'm a cartoonist.

But, since asked, I suggest we allow the military to carry the fight to the enemy. I suggest we continue to 'surge' and to put pressure on the enemy, and to expose his pipelines thru Iran and Syria, and to continue to isolate those two nations in the eyes of the world as the chief antagonizers behind radical islamic terrorism.

Actually, right now it's not such a bad idea to let the enemy carry the fight to the enemy, since they seem to be doing such a fine job of it.

I don't think we need to "kill em all" or bomb Baghdad into rubble. I think the enemy consists of small forces, not very well trained, and if confronted, easily destroyed. The problem is finding them and confronting them. I say keep flushing them out, keep fostering the divisions in their ranks. When we find the enemy, destroy him without mercy. When we take one of his strongholds, remain and secure the stronghold permanently under friendly control.

~Bang

He didnt liken the war to Vietnam, he said we DONT want it to become the same situation by withdrawing. But dont let facts get in the way of a good old ES :pooh: on the President :jerk: session. :)

Perhaps, but that leads me to two conclusions.

That's the Vietnam-like 'quagmire' Bush's opponents were talking about in 2002, that Bush assured us wouldn't happen.

Even if that's not what Bush meant, he should be avoiding putting Iraq and Vietnam in a sentence together at all costs. It's akin to Gore talking about his role in the development of the internet or Kerry talking about what a great person Jane Fonda is. You stay away from it because your opponents will flay you.

Again, unless he was answering a direct question I can't imagine what the hell he was thinkning.

"political integrity"

:laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao: :laugh:

I'm glad Bush is comparing Iraq to Vietnam. To me, that signals that he might be headed in a more realistic direction. I really don't care if it makes him into a flip flopper. Things change, situations change, opinions change. That's what self-betterment is all about. Only an idiot would base his outlook on unwavering idealogy regardless of the reality of the situation.

I'm glad Bush is comparing Iraq to Vietnam. To me, that signals that he might be headed in a more realistic direction. I really don't care if it makes him into a flip flopper. Things change, situations change, opinions change. That's what self-betterment is all about. Only an idiot would base his outlook on unwavering idealogy regardless of the reality of the situation.

That makes sense if Bush is pushing forth a new policy in Iraq. If he's saying it to maintain his current policy, it's not about 'self-betterment.' It's about saying whatever you have to in order to maintain your unwavering idealogy, even if it contradicts what you said in order to set the policy in the first place.

I'm not saying Iraq is like Vietnam, and I'm not saying it isn't. But when your opponents have spent the past 4 years telling anyone who listen that this war will be another Vietnam, and you've spent the past 4 years denying that, you have to be out of your mind to suddenly turn around and compare the war to Vietnam.

QFT

I thought the same thing, but I seriously doubt there's going to be any policy change.

Is there really anyone that believes that pulling out of Vietnam was a bad idea?

I'm glad Bush is comparing Iraq to Vietnam.

I'm not terribly enthused by it, personally. Maybe he should have made that comparison five years ago. The parallel was no less obvious then.

But here we are in 2007, and obviously he has already made that horrifying mistake. No sense in beating it to death.

Looking forward, Iraqnam is Bush's humiliating albatross, and he won't manage to throw it off his neck by pretending Iraq isn't already a quagmire. Hopefully it will hang on him for the duration of his eternal legacy, as a warning to future presidents.

I just hope the guy has the good sense not to stick around in the public eye after his time in the White House is over, like Carter did. Go back to the ranch and disappear.

Did you actually listen to it? Obviously not. He was making the point that if we pulled out it would be a bloodbath similar to what happened in Vietnam with the re-education camps and what not.

Did you actually listen to it? Obviously not. He was making the point that if we pulled out it would be a bloodbath similar to what happened in Vietnam with the re-education camps and what not.

Did you read my following posts? I talked about that too.

And no, I didn't listen to it, which is why I've been saying I hope that quote was taken out of context.

That makes sense if Bush is pushing forth a new policy in Iraq. If he's saying it to maintain his current policy, it's not about 'self-betterment.' It's about saying whatever you have to in order to maintain your unwavering idealogy, even if it contradicts what you said in order to set the policy in the first place.

The surge is somewhat of a new policy although I'm pretty sure it's not consistent with the lessons we should have learned from Vietnam. Even though I think Bush is a fool repeatedly manipulated by the folks around him, and quite possibly the worst President in the history of the USA, I do think he is a nice guy and means well. For him to even acknowledge Vietnam (something Rumsfeld/Cheney refused to discuss when developing the "transformation" concept) is an improvement and perhaps even a form of self-betterment.

One thing I dont understand is why suddenly even democrats are saying that there is progress and maybe we should stay.

-HILLARY: We've begun to change tactics in Iraq and in some areas, particularly in al-Anbar province, it's working.

-Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and Sen. John Warner of Virginia: "We have seen indications that the surge of additional brigades to Baghdad and its immediate vicinity and the revitalized counter-insurgency strategy being employed have produced tangible results in making several areas of the capital more secure. We are also encouraged by continuing positive results — in al-Anbar Province, from the recent decisions of some of the Sunni tribes to turn against Al Qaeda and cooperate with coalition force efforts to kill or capture its adherents," the two said in a statement issued after leaving the country.

-Washington Rep. Brian Baird, a senior Democratic whip on the Democratic Steering Committee: After returning from Iraq said that the U.S. military is "making real progress" in the war-torn country. Furthermore, Mr. Baird told the Olympian newspaper, and despite Mr. Murtha's long-standing wishes for an immediate U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq, "the consequences of pulling back precipitously would be potentially catastrophic for the Iraqi people themselves ... and in the long run chaotic for the region as a whole and for our own security."

- Sen. Dick Durbin, who visited Iraq last week: Surge troops "are starting to have an impact,"

- Michael E. O'Hanlon and Kenneth M. Pollack of the prestigious liberal-leaning Brookings Institution: Well-known for their fierce criticism of the Bush administration's conduct of the war, O'Hanlon and Pollack said they were surprised by the military progress they saw during eight days in Iraq and "the potential to produce not necessarily 'victory' but a sustainable stability that both we and the Iraqis could live with." They said Congress should sustain the current strategy into 2008.

Are there any neocons left out there who will man up and admit that those of us who were rational in 2002 and said that Iraq would become another Vietnam were correct?

I hate to say I told you so, (OK, I really love to say I told you so), but I told you so.

Archived