Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Snyder scouting Carson Palmer? Say it ain't so.

goldenster95

From T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times . . . who?

Is this guy for real? Note the word "presumably" in the last sentence of the first paragraph. That's one hell of an assumption he's making. The Trojans also have a pretty good safety, which is a need position for the 'Skins.

Danny can't be this stupid, can he?

PEPPER RODGERS, 19-12-1 in three years as UCLA's coach, including a 55-18 victory over Iowa in 1973, was at the Orange Bowl with his boss, Washington Redskin owner Daniel Snyder. The Redskins need a quarterback desperately and had several members of the front office here, presumably to take a closer look at Carson Palmer.

If the Redskins successfully negotiate a trade to put them in position to select Palmer, he will be working with newly elevated offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, the former Trojan assistant many fans blamed for Palmer's poor play while working on Paul Hackett's staff.

The Redskins desperately need a QB do they? Pretty funny stuff.

Let's see though. This game has some of the best offensive lineman in the country. This game has one safety prospect worth note. This game has one of the best kickers in the nation. It'd be criminal if our scouting people and execs weren't at this game. And, they'd better be at tonight's game as well.

Palmer will go first overall in the draft. We'd have to give up too much to get him. But I wouldn't weep if we did.

Hypothetically, if we could trade Ramsey, a #3, and our #1 to go to the top spot in the draft, it would be worth it. But I'm sure it would cost much more that that.

Originally posted by blakman211

Remember guys, Ramsey struggled too much this season. he doesnt have the tools or decision making tactics to make it in the NFL. He's like the 31st best QB in the league. Lets just give up on him and get somebody else.

OH GEE, Can we please?? :rolleyes:

It'd be criminal if our scouting people and execs weren't at this game. And, they'd better be at tonight's game as well.

You bet....

Amazing, they see Snyder and automatically think he's looking at a QB???? Funny stuff :laugh:

You guys are missing the obvious FedEx link.

Snyder isn't there because we desperately need a QB. By the way -- we should be scouting EVERYONE anyway, so the fact the Snyder and company show up to scout Charlie Rogers won't mean that we're planning on trading Lavar for the #1 pick.

If I owned the Redskins, I would be attending the major bowls and doing some 'scouting' as well. As ljer noted, if the Redskins aren't scouting USC-Iowa, it'd be a disappointment.

I don't care if he's giving Palmer a look over. After seeing that he's not only big, but mobile, I'd love to have the guy. I don't think we're going QB two years in a row, but you never know.

All options ought to be open right now.

Between now and the draft, the projected draft positions tend to change rather dramatically. What if Palmer drops like a stone through the draft. Wouldn't we all wish our front office had atleast scouted the guy rather than saying we don't need a Qb? Also, if Palmer should plumit, we'd have a better bargaining position when a higher up team wants to trade us for our spot. we can always say "well, we scouted him, and he looks very good. We can always use another Qb?"

Every year, it seems like someboy slides in the draft. It's not crazy to take precautions to make sure you are familiar with everybody projected to go above your draft spot.

had several members of the front office here, presumably to take a closer look at Carson Palmer.

Key word = presumably. This guy doesn't know, he never asked. He just saw them there, and assumed. And why not scout everyone, the Bengals are picking number 1. Who knows what kind of dumbass move they might make.

Guys, T.J. Simers is notorious in L.A. for being an instigator. That's what his column is all about. Do not look to him for solid reporting as that's not what he does. His column is for entertainment value only.

For instance, in that very same column he's still baiting (tongue in cheek of course) the USC Trojans (who he always teases) for their coach Pete Carroll being on par with the interim UCLA coach for having accomplished the same thing - winning their bowl game. He loves getting negative fan mail and then publishing it with a snappy retort.

So give all the hand-wringing a rest. It's just as likely that they were there to see what was billed as the best showdown of the bowl season, or that they were scouting the myriad of good linemen, safeties and receivers in that game . . . or even Iowa's kicker!

Originally posted by gbear

Between now and the draft, the projected draft positions tend to change rather dramatically. What if Palmer drops like a stone through the draft. Wouldn't we all wish our front office had atleast scouted the guy rather than saying we don't need a Qb? Also, if Palmer should plumit, we'd have a better bargaining position when a higher up team wants to trade us for our spot. we can always say "well, we scouted him, and he looks very good. We can always use another Qb?"

You have to pick and choose the players you're going to scout. Maybe send an intern or something to take notes on Palmer's play in the unlikely event that something crazy happens, but send the top scout to watch Andre Johnson.

Taking valuable scouting info away from a position you desperately need for a hypothetical situation is never a good idea.

That said, Simers is an idiot and I wouldn't believe a word he says.

Archived