Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Iraqi Interpreter: Now I have no future

hokie4redskins

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE SAVE THE POOR INTERPRETERS!!??

Uh oh, the surge is working. QUICK!! Write a despairing article lamenting interpreter sacrifices.

:rolleyes:

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- The young Iraqi known as Ronnie fears for his life. Nearly four years ago, as a recent high school graduate, he signed up to be an interpreter for the U.S. military. It seemed like a good job at the time. Today, he is a marked man.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/09/iraqi.interpreters/index.html

Actually, this is a very valid issue. I agree that there is a constant agenda that is getting pitched/covered by the media from both sides of the political spectrum.

However, this is an issue that needs highlighting so that our politicians and bureaucrats can make the policy exceptions needed to take care of these folks. These interpreters have acted as great patriots to both the American and Iraqi/Afghani peoples, and without the US giving them sanctuary they will be killed.

I recently tried to get one of my interpreters from when I was there covered by this immigration plan; but the bar has been set pretty damn high. If I remember correctly, the interpreter had to have a General officer sponsoring him, an official background check performed, and have been in the employ of the US govt. for at least 12 months.

BTW -- here's a link to a Fact Sheet on this issue:

http://www.visaportal.com/agencies/article.asp?article_id=345

In the case of my translator:

1) I have no way to get a General officer to sponsor him now

2) There was no background check performed on him (to my knowledge) when we hired him in 2003 -- so who knows how we could get that

3) I know he worked for 9 months for us; but when a new unit came in, they ended up going with a different contractor -- and as a result our former translators went back out on the street

The bottomline, there's a lot of these guys that made our jobs a ton easier and safer while in theater. It'd be a shame if all we can give them in the end is a "good luck and God bless" and leave them up to the "mercy" of various groups of insurgents.

Hopefully we can kill all the *******s and people like this can get around to a normal life.

Unless of course we do what the Dems want to do, cut and run, then we should bring them with us when the Dems make us leave

Umm...excuse me, "what the Dems want to do" Hi, 2004 is calling and it wants your distorted reality back.

Last time I checked it was a whole hell of a lot more people then just "the Dems" that want this war over with, or at least some type of timetable/exit strategy.

are you saying the press should release the names or that the freedom of the press should be curtailed in this case.

I'd always suggest intellectual responsibility when presented with such sensitive information. I realize thats a high order for some.... and I also realize that it's unrealistic.

Seems kind of counter-productive. How hard would it be to take care of a relatively few people who have put their lives on the line as much as any soldier has to assist in our efforts.

They are patriots for their country doing what they can. We should not forsake our friends.

~Bang

its horrible that things like this happen. I would hate to be a good, genuine human being on the other side of all this ..Alot of my family members and good friends that have been there and back have their own disturbing stories they tell.. That being said, compaired to all the other things we have to deal with over there, this isent that high on the scale.. i really dont see anything changing when it comes to situations like this....Yeah it sucks.. and it makes you think... "...damn..." but thats about it.

God forbid anyone should actually risk their life for their own country. What a horrible idea.
WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE SAVE THE POOR INTERPRETERS!!??

Uh oh, the surge is working. QUICK!! Write a despairing article lamenting interpreter sacrifices.

:rolleyes:

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- The young Iraqi known as Ronnie fears for his life. Nearly four years ago, as a recent high school graduate, he signed up to be an interpreter for the U.S. military. It seemed like a good job at the time. Today, he is a marked man.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/09/iraqi.interpreters/index.html

I'm not really sure where this sarcasm is being directed. Is it that any article that suggests that life in Iraq is not all roses and candycanes is assumed by both of you to have an agenda attached to it? Are we not to discuss the people who have sacrificed their whole lives to try to help build a better life for their families, their countrymen, and themselves, for a war that we started? We're allowed to discuss the sacrifices of our troops, but not the Iraqis (who are, by the way, the ones doing most of the dying)?

Whether the surge is "working" or not, I can't see how anyone would think an article about the hardships of interpreters is somehow a bad thing, unless those people are unable and/or unwilling to put themselves in the shoes of the average Iraqi citizen (even for a minute) and wonder how they would feel if some foreign power (and perhaps the richest and most powerful of all foreign powers that have ever existed) invaded their country and started telling them how things are going to be done. Then when they helped the foreign power at great risk to themselves and their families all they got was a hearty handshake and a "thanks for playing, folks." Then had someone write an article about their tribulations which are then openly mocked by people so entrenched in their own agenda that they don't even take the time to think before they speak (or post).

But, hey, I actually like to think for myself, so what do I know?

I'm not really sure where this sarcasm is being directed. Is it that any article that suggests that life in Iraq is not all roses and candycanes is assumed by both of you to have an agenda attached to it? Are we not to discuss the people who have sacrificed their whole lives to try to help build a better life for their families, their countrymen, and themselves, for a war that we started? We're allowed to discuss the sacrifices of our troops, but not the Iraqis (who are, by the way, the ones doing most of the dying)?

Whether the surge is "working" or not, I can't see how anyone would think an article about the hardships of interpreters is somehow a bad thing, unless those people are unable and/or unwilling to put themselves in the shoes of the average Iraqi citizen (even for a minute) and wonder how they would feel if some foreign power (and perhaps the richest and most powerful of all foreign powers that have ever existed) invaded their country and started telling them how things are going to be done. Then when they helped the foreign power at great risk to themselves and their families all they got was a hearty handshake and a "thanks for playing, folks." Then had someone write an article about their tribulations which are then openly mocked by people so entrenched in their own agenda that they don't even take the time to think before they speak (or post).

But, hey, I actually like to think for myself, so what do I know?

I think you misunderstood my post. I was implying that they should be applauded and recognized for the risk they're taking, instead of having their contribution minimalized. Of course what do I know, I'm just a government automaton conditioned by 17 years in the military to post whatever they program me with.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was implying that they should be applauded and recognized for the risk they're taking, instead of having their contribution minimalized. Of course what do I know, I'm just a government automaton conditioned by 17 years in the military to post whatever they program me with.

Could you clarify how "God forbid anyone should actually risk their life for their own country. What a horrible idea." implies that "they should be applauded and recognized for the risk they're taking?" I inferred that this interpreter should serve Iraq, like it, and not question or complain how the Americans treat him.

Regardless of your position on this war, you'd have to admit that our treatment of our allies after conflicts such as this hasn't exactly been honorable. Just ask the Hmong.

REGARDLESS? Are you insane? Your position on the war is the most important factor when determining how we treat our allies. If you have been on Bush's corner since 2001 America has done no wrong and any ally that complains is a schmuck. Anybody else realizes that our treatment of allies is more of a mixed bag. A mixed bag of crap.

I'm not exactly sure I get what you mean WinslowRob. My point was that the Iraqi interpreters had/have a lot to worry about given our history of leaving allies at the mercy of enemies after we're finished with them. That holds true whether you agree with us being in Iraq or not.

Archived