Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 Scrimmage - Redskins/ravens (Final)

JimmiJo

2007 SCRIMMAGE - REDSKINS/RAVENS

08/04/07

1.JPG

:helmet:

Greetings from Baltimore my friends!

I am JimmiJo and I am here in the comfort of the air-conditioned press box. As soon as the team gets me a little red dot for my badge I will brave the 99 degree (expected) heat to get some photos.

The scrimmage is being broadcast on MASN at 12:00PM. That would be channel 66 up in the Neck.

I have to hand it to the Ravens, this is a nice stadium and the accomodations are more than adequate. I am sitting at about the 20 yard-line watching players from both teams stretch and warm up. I see Jon Jansen and Casey Rabach on the far side of the field.

Here is today's schedule:

12PM - 25 minute stretch and warmup

12:25PM - 15 minute special teams

12:40PM - 30 minute 7-on-7

1:10PM Scrimmage (4 sets of 10 plays each)

I'll be here if you have any questions.

11:15AM Update

They began letting the fans in about 15 minutes ago. So far there is a pretty good contingent of 'Skins fan here. Way to go guys.

I am told it is $15 to get in and it is general admission. Anyone considering coming out should and there are plenty of seats left.

11:16AM Update

They've ammended the weather forecast on Weather.com to 101 degrees for Baltimore.

Oh joy.

11:50AM Update

Ok gang, I am heading down to the field. I will be back for the scrimmage portion.

Enjoy!

1:25 PM Update

Nice goal-line stand for the defense in the first set. Not bad considering very few starters are out there.

3:00PM Update

The handsoap here is Raven Purple. I'm not sure what you can do with that information, but I thought I would pass it along.

Ok, back from the locker room. I am getting ready to upload some audio, photos, and then do a write-up. I heard temps were between 120 and 140 on the field. All I know is, standing on the turf my feet got hot as heck.

Stand by...

AUDIO

To listen to H.B. Blades click HERE

To listen to Demetric Evans click HERE

To listen to London Fletcher click HERE

To listen to Kedric Golston click HERE

To listen to Ade Jimoh click HERE

To listen to Marcus Mason click HERE

To listen to Rocky McIntosh click HERE

To listen to Joe Salave'a click HERE

To listen to Renaldo Wynn click HERE

To listen to Todd Yoder click HERE

PHOTOS

Photos 1

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205299

Photos 2

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205300

Photos 3

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205303

Photos 4

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205304

For all those hyperventilating at today’s Redskins’ performance please consider the following; nobody played. I don’t have the full list but off the top of my head Campbell, Moss, Lloyd, Portis, Betts, and Sellers did not play during the 11-on-11s. Hmmm, you think there is a play-maker or two in that group? Another thing to consider is that the Ravens are one of the better defenses around.

As Gibbs said after, today was about getting a look at some of the young guys. He said this was because they are going to be making some decisions (read cuts) soon. I suspect there is also an aversion to injury going on, and who can blame them?

As you know, the day started out with the teams stretching. Next was Special Teams (punt and kickoff returns) where Byron Westbrook did little to help himself during punt-return drills, having trouble handling the ball and letting it get knocked from his hands. After this they started with the 7-on-7s, and then 11-on-11s. I was on the field thru the 7-on-7s on the Redskins side of the field. I could not help but shout when Campbell connected with Thrash for the TD. I did not see how the defense did during this and will leave up to you all to tell me.

A few of us wondered why Campbell was getting so much work during the 7-on-7s. This was answered when he did not play during the 11-on-11s. Instead, we were treated to a big helping of Brunell and Collins, and then small portions of Bramlet and Palmer. It is ironic that as much as I have been down on Palmer this camp, he came up with the big play during the scrimmage, hitting Burl Toler for a 24-yard touchdown strike.

And how about little Marcus Mason? He was one of the few bright spots today, running hard and making some plays. Officially he had 12 carries for 34 yards. According to the new math they taught me this is a 2.83 yards per carry average. Blaylock also performed well, going 6 for 20 at 3.3 yards per carry.

While I have been impressed with Mark Brunell in camp, I found his performance today uninspiring. I will concede that he had very few receivers he was familiar with on the field, but there were too many throws out of bounds. Collins didn’t do much, nor did Bramlet. Palmer of course had the TD throw. As I consider it, I was not impressed with any of the Redskins quarterbacks, and this includes Jason Campbell who I felt threw way too many checkdowns during the 7-on-7s.

I was keying on the O-line play today as only one starter, center Casey Rabach, played. I was more impressed with the tackle play than with the guards; however, in thirty plays it appeared they surrendered only one sack.

Speaking of sacks, it looked like we had some home-team officiating on the 55 yard pass completion for the Ravens. Everyone near me in the press box and Renaldo Wynn agreed that there was a sack on the play.

In addition to the above, I thought the team did well defensively. The goal-line stand during the first series was impressive, as the Redskins held the Ravens out of the end zone for at least five plays. Ade Jimoh made an excellent tackle inside the five yard-line to prevent a touchdown. The play of the day defensively was Sean Taylor breaking up the pass in the end zone. Joe Salave’a also gets special mention for quickness and penetration. In speaking to him after he told me that he is healthy and has his head together. This is consistent with what he has been saying all camp. When I asked him about going to Tennessee he got a gleam in his eye when considering going back to face his old team.

Since we are speaking about defense, I have to acknowledge the excellent linebacking play of Baltimore’s Edgar Jones. During the first series that guy seemed to be involved in every play.

All in all I think the Redskins came here to get a good look at a lot of young guys and they were able to do this. As Coach Gibbs said after, some players perform well in camp, but not so well in games. Conversely some look just ok in camp but really step up in games. Based on Gibbs’ comments, I have a feeling there will be an updated roster waiting for me Monday at Redskins Park.

So that’s my report. I hope you enjoyed the scrimmage today. If you found it less than inspirational the good news is next week at this time we will be getting ready for the Redskins/Titans game.

See you guys soon!

Archived