Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Is this the Season of Sean? (merged)

Lavarleap56

washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/SPORTS01/108030090/1005/SPORTS

Other than the generosity of Dan Snyder's checkbook, no Washington Redskins topic generates more praise than the performance, future and personality of safety Sean Taylor.

His teammates point to his physical conditioning and mental aptitude as reasons why last year's Pro Bowl appearance is the first of many.

“He's a beast,” linebacker Marcus Washington said.

“On the field, he's an animal,” safety Pierson Prioleau said.

His coaches point to his emergence as a vocal leader and unselfishness to play any role at any place on the field as reasons why he remains the right guy to build a secondary around.

“It's amazing how he's found ways to improve,” assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said.

“He's getting better and better every day,” safeties coach Steve Jackson said.

So is this the Season of Sean? Is this when the takeaway total escalates, the fundamental tackle is generally made and the touchdown total escalates?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/SPORTS01/108030090/1005/SPORTS

click link for full article

Is this the Season of Sean?

August 3, 2007

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES - Other than the generosity of Dan Snyder's checkbook, no Washington Redskins topic generates more praise than the performance, future and personality of safety Sean Taylor.

His teammates point to his physical conditioning and mental aptitude as reasons why last year's Pro Bowl appearance is the first of many.

“He's a beast,” linebacker Marcus Washington said.

“On the field, he's an animal,” safety Pierson Prioleau said.

His coaches point to his emergence as a vocal leader and unselfishness to play any role at any place on the field as reasons why he remains the right guy to build a secondary around.

“It's amazing how he's found ways to improve,” assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said.

“He's getting better and better every day,” safeties coach Steve Jackson said.

So is this the Season of Sean? Is this when the takeaway total escalates, the fundamental tackle is generally made and the touchdown total escalates?

Although not close to the biggest question mark on the Redskins' defense, the season in a sense revolves around Taylor. If he's ready to take the next step, he could join the position's elite. If not, then it could be another long fall for the defense.

The Redskins are banking that a simplified role will allow Taylor to present complicated problems for an opponent.

Whereas the first three years of Williams' defense were about throwing everything at opponents in an effort to confuse them, this year will represent a philosophical shift — putting together a game plan that adjusts to a player's strengths rather than having the player adjust his game to fit the scheme.

“What it does is remove the clutter from him,” Williams said. “It lets him refine his go-get-the-ball techniques. ... We all get better when we shorten our checklist of what we have to work on. We've done a better job identifying that for Sean and other players. We've identified fewer things to master, and hopefully that will turn into production.”

From afar, it appeared Taylor struggled last year. He had only one interception and didn't recover a fumble (he forced three). And he missed a lot of tackles.

But, Jackson said, “There were a lot of situations outside Sean's control last year, and he was doing what he thought was best for the Redskins.”

If you take a look at last year's Jaguars game, you'll see what Williams plans to do with Taylor and Landry as our safties. That game, Archuleta blitzed alot on runs and occassionally on passes, while Sean was roaming all over the field going after the ball. Blitzing on occassion during passing downs. It put him in some good playmaking positions on the field, hopfully some of the things he improved on was taking better angles of pursuit.

Season of Sean??

Hopefully :fingersx:

From afar, it appeared Taylor struggled last year. He had only one interception and didn't recover a fumble (he forced three). And he missed a lot of tackles.

So does recovering that blocked field goal and run back that ultimately won us the game against Dallas not count as a fumble recovery?

On the other, he has one regular-season touchdown, more personal foul penalties (12) than interceptions and appears to be a fundamentally flawed tackler.

Of course the author conveniently leaves out Taylor's fumble recovery and touchdown against Tampa in the 2005 playoffs

Jackson countered by saying that many of the aforementioned safeties have played with the same people for years. In just three years, Taylor has started alongside seven different teammates.

Quoted for emphasis. Laron Landry makes that 8

Michael Smith's superb feature on Sean Taylor written almost exactly a year ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2546843

One of my favorite parts:

Who is Sean Taylor? Is he the thug we see on the field and read about in the police blotter? Or is he the "nicest, most humble, considerate, respectful guys in this locker room -- seriously" as teammate Jimmy Farris says. Farris adds, "I can't think of one negative thing to say about him. It sounds funny to say, but he's a guy you feel secure when you're around him. If it goes down, he's got you." These days, Taylor refuses to speak on his behalf, preferring instead to focus on football, according to the team's media relations staff. Apparently wary of further inquiry regarding his off-field issues, Taylor declined to be interviewed for this story, refusing to so much as look the reporter in the eyes. That, we are told, also is routine. And so are scenes such as this: Taylor patiently signing autograph after autograph after a long practice, not merely tolerating but engaging fans, especially the younger ones, greeting each with a warm smile.

and then

"Sean's something of a misunderstood person and player," Williams says. "They don't know how good a person and teammate he is behind the scenes. The players love him and the staff enjoys every aspect of him as a person and football player. I like the kid. And you'd be hard-pressed to find a teammate that doesn't like him."

"I see a whole different side," Randle El says. "Something happened to bring out that other guy, but it's not him."

Williams tried to explain Taylor's dismissive attitude. "His confidence sometimes is misunderstood for arrogance," Williams says. "But as you mature, you become more humble with your confidence. When you're young and you think you're invincible that can come across as arrogance and that sometimes can get you into trouble."

To a man they all have this manchild's back. "He's a helluva guy," Washington says. "If you knew him and hung around him every day, some of the off-field stuff, you'd be like, 'Say what? Sean did that?' It would be shocking. He's soft-spoken. Everything is 'Thank you.' He's got great manners.

"But if you're going down a dark alley and three guys are waiting for you, you'd definitely want him with you. When he's with you, he's with you.

Taylor has not done one thing to make me doubt him as a person since he's been in Washington. Sure, he spit at a player, but I like that he cares about the game. Sure, he had that whole thing with the guns, but innocent until proven guilty, and he was never convicted of anything. He's obviously made a concerted effort to change his image, and the fact that he doesn't talk to the media makes me respect him even more. On top of all that, he's incredibly talented, and he STILL works his ass off. (Can you tell I have a man-crush?) This will definitely be the Season of the Meast!

I would love to see ST turn into the next Ken Houston or Ronnie Lott, but as Parcells would say, people need to put away the anointing oil. All the hype and fan worship is eerily similar to what we heard for years vis a vis Lavar, and he never lived up to expectations. I'm not saying Taylor won't be great, but despite what his worshippers insist, he's still not there yet. Let's hope this is the year he turns the tide, and that he and Landry make for a dynamic duo.

Around the media is another story. The team's media relations staff has tried to set up a group interview session for Taylor the last three days, but each attempt has been futile.

Why is the media so concerned with interviewing Sean Taylor? It's not like he's a member of the Algonquin Round table, for pete sake. A stream of bon mots aren't going to be flowing from his lips!!!

I don't get the obsession.

If he doesn't have to play the run, rush the QB, cover 4 receivers and the TE again this year he will do AMAZING things. With the new DB's doing their job, Landry covering the TE, and the LB's putting pressure #21 is ready for a huge season.

All the people who say he can't cover ignore the fact that no one can cover and do all those things you mention at the same time. It will be a monster year just like you say.

Why is the media so concerned with interviewing Sean Taylor? It's not like he's a member of the Algonquin Round table, for pete sake. A stream of bon mots aren't going to be flowing from his lips!!!

I don't get the obsession.

why dont you get the obsession?

Just like we are all obsessed with seeing this guy on the field, the media is obsessed with interviewing, arguably, the most talented football player on the Washington Redskins.

I like that he is laying low though.

Waiting to drop the BOOM on the whole country.

Taylor's first three years compare favorably to the league's other top safeties. He has 257 tackles. Chicago's Mike Brown had 258 from 2000 to 2002 and Dallas' Roy Williams had 265 from 2002 to 2004. Taylor's combined 14 interceptions/forced fumbles are more than New England's Eugene Wilson (11), Philadelphia's Brian Dawkins (10) and Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu (10) had in their first three seasons.

The only safety Taylor doesn't measure up to is Baltimore's Ed Reed, who had 232 tackles and 21 interceptions in his first three seasons.

Jackson countered by saying that many of the aforementioned safeties have played with the same people for years. In just three years, Taylor has started alongside seven different teammates.

So to this point, ST has been average to above average...and just like the other posters are saying...Dont make him cover the entire defense and he should be great.

As a Seminole, I have never had more respect for a Cane in my life. This dude single handedly beat us at least three times and was destroying our whole offensive gameplan.

Im telling you, as you all know, he has the ability to be a game changing safety in the secondary, and lining up beside Laron Landry....wow.

Lock these two up for their careers and throw away the key.

LOOOOOOOK OUT.

Archived