Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking of buying a new car... help needed.

AJWatson3

In my mind there is no arguement. The foreign cars shouldn't even be allowed here in the US so far as I'm concerned. This is America. We should be buying American made products from American companies. I've discussed it at length in the past. Obviously you feel differently. Good for you. We're not going to agree on anything related to this discussion so there was no point in saying anything other than: BUY AMERICAN from the beginning.
Sorry, no matter where it's BUILT the money goes back to Japan or Germany or wherever, which means I want no part of it.

That's why it takes me so long to try and find a new car. Heck I'm starting to look NOW to try and find a manufacturer that I can buy from NEXT YEAR or the year after. I am really hoping to be able to find an American company that actually builds their SUV's here in the United States. If I can't I'm probably going to have to break down and buy a used vehicle, which is something I really don't want to have to do.

I will probably end up looking at Chevy, or the other GMAC vehicles. I believe that Ford has a foreign interest as part of its ownership group, correct? If so, that leaves them out of the running.

No. There's no known American Indian blood in my family. Personally I think they got what was coming to them for failing to push us back into the Atlantic Ocean when they had the chance to do so a couple hundred years ago, just like they did with the Vikings and the Roanoake settlement. My issue has to do with the concept of economic isolationism that I believe in.

I believe in peace through superior firepower, and I've never been a really big fan of international diplomacy. So long as foreign countries keep to themselves I see no real reason for us to deal with them any more than absolutely necessary, and vice versa.

I do my best to try and buy as much in the way of American products as humanly possible. In some cases it just isn't possible, but I try as much as I can.

It's not a matter of helping me or the country. Obviously the profits go to the companies and their investors/heads. I have no problem with that. I'd just prefer to see those investors/heads of the company be Americans.

I don't think it's funny. Especially since we're not allowing the exact same thing to happen. The only difference is that this time it's across our Southern Border, and while we have easy, simple methods of stopping it, we refuse to do so.
Yes, I am like 1850's Old School. So far as I'm concerned Abraham Lincoln began the destruction of this country when he put down the Second American Revolution.
Two words of advice and I'll leave the thread to the gearheads....

BUY AMERICAN!!!!!

This was your first post in this thread, what happened to leaving it to the gearheads?? why do you massjack all the threads?

MSF do you feel that you don't belong to the global community of Earth. You are an insane person that, if you lived in 1930s germany, would have fallen under the grip of nazism. All this nonsense about keeping foreign goods out is pretty ridiculous. We rely on many countries who also rely on us.

Yea there is only one car i want and that is the bmw 3 series, imported from Germany, cause they make the best cars.

MSF do you feel that you don't belong to the global community of Earth. You are an insane person that, if you lived in 1930s germany, would have fallen under the grip of nazism. All this nonsense about keeping foreign goods out is pretty ridiculous. We rely on many countries who also rely on us.

Yea there is only one car i want and that is the bmw 3 series, imported from Germany, cause they make the best cars.

I agree with the BMW. My next car is going to be the BMW 335i. Actually I agree with the first paragraph too.

This was your first post in this thread, what happened to leaving it to the gearheads???

Because unfortunately people around here cannot leave well enough alone, let me make my comment and just leave it be. They feel some insane need to engage me in discussion or debate on issues rather than getting it through their thick, concrete encased skulls that they're never going to change my mind on anything and just leaving my comments be.

How's that for an answer?

Because unfortunately people around here cannot leave well enough alone, let me make my comment and just leave it be. They feel some insane need to engage me in discussion or debate on issues rather than getting it through their thick, concrete encased skulls that they're never going to change my mind on anything and just leaving my comments be.

How's that for an answer?

Typical of the persona you have created! Fact is, that even though you stay consistant on some of the major issues, you have been known to change your mind. As a matter of fact, these so called concrete encased skulls got you to change your mind about posting anymore in this thread. And lets not forget Bang and a few others changed your mind about the ignore list!!! :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Oh, btw thread starter, the Hyundai Sonata has been very good to me. You can get pretty well loaded for about $20,000. Great warranty!!

buy Honda or Toyota and be happy for the next 20 years

As I've said in these types of threads before. There are 3 basic choices depending on your needs and wants. Personally, I'm big into cars, VWs in particular and have a soft spot for European cars because they build the type of machine I like. That's not for everyone, though.

A. Performance based. You like driving and want a car that inspires you when you're behind the wheel. Go German. VW, BMW or Mercedes (more luxury, less performance oriented). You can't beat them in terms of sheer driving pleasure. Maintainence can get expensive, though. Parts aren't cheap and they can tend to be finnicky.

B. A car is a means of transportation, you want dependability and low maintainence costs. Buy Japanese. Toyota and Honda, specifically, make absolutely bulletproof cars. Nissans are very good as well. Stay clear of Mistubishis, much more finnicky than the others.

C. I think I'm a patriot and will only buy American, even though they're built in Brazil while Toyota and Honda builds them here. You enjoy mediocrity. Don't want a car based solely on performance or reliability? Buy American. Not particularly fun or reliable, not up to par with the competition on most levels. Maybe cheaper to own than the Euro, without the fun, but if you're not going for the fun, why sacrifice the reliability the Japanese cars have that these cars don't?

The other option is maybe a Hyundai. They're making pretty damn good cars these days at very good prices. What's more, the warranty basically eclipses anyone else on the market. I would kind of fit this into the reliability option. At the very least, if it's not as reliable as the Japanese car, they're paying to fix it, not you :silly:

VWs really beat the competition in terms of overall interior quality and features but I'll be the first one to admit, as a long time owner and former VW dealer tech, they can be a pain in the ass. The US dealer network is also one of the worst, most pain in the ass dealer networks in the country.

My Mom has a Hyundai Sonata. She loves it and suggests I look into the Hyundai brand. They seem to be doing a lot better as far as reliability goes and they do have an outstanding warranty. I really like the peace-of-mind that comes with a new-car warranty. I actually am willing to eat the immediate depreciation of driving a new car off the lot to get that warranty.

DC- My car is a little bit of A and B. It's a 98 Maxima SE. I wish it were a manual though. Loaded car, 3 liter V6, 190 HP... I know it's not the 265 that they have standard now, but she moves really well and is pretty nimble for a good-sized sports sedan. and she runs damn well for a 10 year old car.

VWs really beat the competition in terms of overall interior quality and features but I'll be the first one to admit, as a long time owner and former VW dealer tech, they can be a pain in the ass. The US dealer network is also one of the worst, most pain in the ass dealer networks in the country.

That is the understatement of the year. VW makes a nice car that is fun to drive... but you probably can't buy a more unreliable car.

But hey... if you know that going in, its not so bad. Because they ARE great cars... just extremely high maintenance.

That is the understatement of the year. VW makes a nice car that is fun to drive... but you probably can't buy a more unreliable car.

But hey... if you know that going in, its not so bad. Because they ARE great cars... just extremely high maintenance.

having quite a few friends in the VW Tech field, and experience in auto repair myself, i can tell you a few things.

The EUROPEAN VW (ones that are sold in Europe) are VERY well built. The ones here in America on the other hand, have a lot of wiring problems which can be a MASSIVE headache over the length of time you have the car.

VW also, for some reason i cant explain, use an aluminum oil pan with a steel drain plug. This might seem very small in issue but if you have ever worked on a car you know that not only is the oil pan the lowest point of a vehicle (which means that making it aluminum is dangerous, if the vehicle bottoms out i dont want a "soft" metal being what takes the hit) and using a steel drain plug is obsured. The oil drain plug is the most manipulated part of a vehicle (you get an oil change every 3 months). Steel in aluminum doesnt work. The drain plug will strip out the threading on the drain pan A LOT. Especially when the vehicle is hot because the aluminum is so soft.

having quite a few friends in the VW Tech field, and experience in auto repair myself, i can tell you a few things.

The EUROPEAN VW (ones that are sold in Europe) are VERY well built. The ones here in America on the other hand, have a lot of wiring problems which can be a MASSIVE headache over the length of time you have the car.

I'll never understand how they can keep going with the same parts vendors and getting the same problems and never doing anything about it. How many generations of vehicles does it take to get an O2 sensor, a Mass Air Flow Sensor or a brake light switch that won't break? Because all those pieces have been continual problems for over 10 years. It's just so stupid. They over engineer the hell out of the engine, make the nicest ride and interior in their class, and then slap ****ty electrical components, undersized and too stretched wiring in the thing. Don't even get me started on the whole VWUSA organization. It needs to be scrapped and started over from the ground up. Worst dealers ever.

Well, it seems that Subaru is now partly owned by Toyota, having bought some of GMs share of the company. It seems that GM is trying to divest their share of Subaru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru

That's one I forgot to mention, Subaru makes absolutely terrific cars. I'd put them right up there with Honda and Toyota, they make an extremely dependable, well built automobile.

Archived