Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking of buying a new car... help needed.

AJWatson3

I currently own a 98 Nissan Maxima, loaded. I love it, but my girl really needs a car and the only way she can get one is if I buy a new one and sell her mine at a good price.

My car just passed 150,000 miles and is in good condition. The engine is still running great.

My question pertains to getting a new car, your experiences, etc...

Her father works for Haley Auto Group in Richmond, VA and can get me any new car they have at invoice price. I am really wondering what to get, how to maximize the value of my dollar, and really get a car that is gonna run for 200,000 miles and not cause me a lot of trouble.

I am looking at something that gets great mileage, and doesn't have too many bells and whistles. My budget is flexible. I am willing to go as high as $22,000 is I were to get a Prius. That is my high-end. I would prefer to stay in the $18,000 range.

I am really interested in the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. I like the hatchback. It's a bit sporty, gets good mileage, is roomier than one would expect... it's practical. Pontiac has a killer warranty too. 3 years, 36,000 miles full warrantry. 10 years, 100,000 miles powertrain. That is a better warranty than Toyota offers.

Another car I have looked at is the Pontiac G5 and Pontiac G6. They look great, but are American made. Same warranty applies. I am worried more about these models because they are relatively new and don't have as much history. I also have a bias against American made cars-- shameful, I know. My family has always bought foreign and has never had any reason to change.

I test drove a Toyota Carolla last weekend. Nice car. Standard power windows, locks, etc... things that the base model Pontiacs don't have. It had a base of $15,900, but I can get it for less.

I will stop the rambling. Any suggestions? Has anyone had good experiences with the Matrix/Vibe, or Pontiacs in general. I would prefer to buy American, and my g/f's dad actually works at the Pontiac dealer. I can get the best deal from them. Would anyone steer me elsewhere for my car? I don't want to buy anything European.... any and all suggestions would be a HUGE help!

Thanks for any info fellow Extremeskinners!

I've got an '06 Altima 3.5 SE. It's in your price range, has 250 hp, roomy AND sporty, quick as hell, and still gets around 25 mpg being driven pretty hard. I absolutely love it.

Also, they redesigned the Altima for 2007-2008, and it looks a lot like the G35. And if I'm not mistaken, they bumped the hp up to 270.

As you've seen with your Maxima, Nissan's are super durable too. IMO, I really think that's the way to go.

heh...I was going to post this thread earlier this morning, but got caught up in reading. I'll just watch yours develop ;) I'm looking for about the same thing as you - reliable, efficient, and good mpg. My '99 cavalier has been good, but its getting up there. Still runs alright at just shy of 110k miles.

Pontiac makes a great car. I've been looking at the Vibe myself. Go check out the consumer reports on Pontiac, I think you'll be suprised about how well they are ranked.

As far as your anti american car bias, all cars are created about equal anymore. Granted, you'll have to spend a little more for one because of the money GM pays out because of it's union, but at least your helping put money into americans pockets.

I have a 2000 Grand Am with about 80,000 miles on it and its going strong as anything as of now.

Last December I got a brand new Toyota Yaris fully loaded sedan for 15,000. It gets between 33-35 mpg and I usually fill up the tank for around 25 dollars, for around 350 miles total. That car is fun to drive, and all my friends get really surprised when they get in and sit because they make fun of how small and compact it looks from the outside (one of them calls it my little pimple because the car is blue... sigh..) but then they get in and realize how roomy and comfortable it actually is. The ride is smooth, the handling is excellent, and it's a Toyota so it'll last.

The Corolla's base price is the same as this Yaris totally loaded. Granted it's not American, but I also tried the Focus and the Vibe, and I decided for this one.

Edit: on a side note, I actually got my car from Haley Toyota in Richmond, off of Hull Street Road. They really know how to take care of the consumer. :cheers:

Keep the info coming.

My cousin and grandfather got Honda CRV's... and my Grandpa always swore he would never buy any non-American autos.

I have looked into the Altima's. The redesign looks great, couldn't stand the old ones. My godmother also drives one and she loves it. They don't make many in manual transmission (the only thing I didn't get with my Maxima), and I don't like the "auto-stick" or whatever that is. I have heard that Renault bought Nissan and that their quality has gone down... that is my biggest worry-- I can't have this car crappin' out after 125,000 miles!!!!

As far as all car's being created equal... that's what Steve (my girl's father) has been telling me. I am willing to spend the extra money to get a new car because I want that warranty and the peace-of-mind that comes with it. Heck, the Vibe and the Matrix are practically the same car! Wish they had a better rebate than $500 though.

I did read that the Ford Focus is offering a $2500 rebate and they have a similar hatchback design. It doesn't look as good but has everything I am looking for.... anyone have one of these? My friend had a '04 Focus coupe and he like it allright except for the bizarre placement of the speedometer and all those things... he's got a '06 Civic now and adores it.

Thanks for all the info, please keep it coming. There is nothing like first-hand info coming from regular joes like us and not some dealer with a vested interest in selling me his car.

The Corolla's base price is the same as this Yaris totally loaded. Granted it's not American, but I also tried the Focus and the Vibe, and I decided for this one.

Edit: on a side note, I actually got my car from Haley Toyota in Richmond, off of Hull Street Road. They really know how to take care of the consumer. :cheers:

Dude, that's where I test drove the Carolla last weekend. They were pretty good to me, but a bit pushy. The sales-person actually pulled the "what's it gonna take to get you to drive home in this car today" line...

The car was nice though.

One of my g/f's friends just got a Yaris and really likes it. It is pretty much what I am looking for. The only things I would like to have in the car are Sunroof/Sound package, and Power Windows/Locks. Maybe an alarm system.

Sorry to crash your buy American comment.

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Prius.

3 reasons:

1. One of the highest mileage per gallon cars you can buy in the US, and pretty "green" as well.

2. Great safety features and engineering.

3. Fits my family size and load carrying size

So far, the mileage has been all it's been billed to be (about 47 mpg). The car is well put together and should last a long time with reasonable care.

The only negative was the sales experience itself. If they tell you anything, make them put it in writing and don't be afraid to be an ******* about getting what they told you.

Note- I would have bought an American car, if they had one that matched the Prius.

I have a Vibe and love it. the gas mileage is good but its not as great as you might think for a smaller car. It is essentially a Toyota, just a pontiac cover and warrenty. So you get the best of both. I found that with negotiations I was able to get what I wanted in the Vibe for less than the Toyota

Sorry to crash your buy American comment.

I just bought a 2007 Toyota Prius.

3 reasons:

1. One of the highest mileage per gallon cars you can buy in the US, and pretty "green" as well.

2. Great safety features and engineering.

3. Fits my family size and load carrying size

So far, the mileage has been all it's been billed to be (about 47 mpg). The car is well put together and should last a long time with reasonable care.

The only negative was the sales experience itself. If they tell you anything, make them put it in writing and don't be afraid to be an ******* about getting what they told you.

Note- I would have bought an American car, if they had one that matched the Prius.

sorry to crash your Toyota deal here but in actuality it is more harmful to the environment then a Hummer.

While YES it get's GREAT gas mileage, the Nickle used in the Hybrid Battery is mined in an area called "The Dead Zone." The area around this mining facility cannot inhabit human life. Nasa uses the area to test thier Moon vehicles. essentially, what the mining is doing to the area, you could drive 3 Hummers and it still wouldnt be as harmful to the earth as the Prius

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/toyotas_prius_is_less_efficien.html

Two words of advice and I'll leave the thread to the gearheads....

BUY AMERICAN!!!!!

As previously stated. I have a budget. I want the most car for my money. I plan on driving this car for 200,000+ miles without any major problems. History shows us that is not the kind of car built in America. Sorry Mass Skins Fan.

However if we can make a car that is equal to theirs and is competitive in price I will gladly buy American.

I love your "Buy American, I'll let someone else give you a reason because I don't have one" answer ;)

As previously stated. I have a budget. I want the most car for my money. I plan on driving this car for 200,000+ miles without any major problems. History shows us that is not the kind of car built in America. Sorry Mass Skins Fan.

However if we can make a car that is equal to theirs and is competitive in price I will gladly buy American.

I love your "Buy American, I'll let someone else give you a reason because I don't have one" answer ;)

In my mind there is no arguement. The foreign cars shouldn't even be allowed here in the US so far as I'm concerned. This is America. We should be buying American made products from American companies. I've discussed it at length in the past. Obviously you feel differently. Good for you. We're not going to agree on anything related to this discussion so there was no point in saying anything other than: BUY AMERICAN from the beginning.

In my mind there is no arguement. The foreign cars shouldn't even be allowed here in the US so far as I'm concerned. This is America. We should be buying American made products from American companies. I've discussed it at length in the past. Obviously you feel differently. Good for you. We're not going to agree on anything related to this discussion so there was no point in saying anything other than: BUY AMERICAN from the beginning.

People should be able to buy anything they want, thats what chaps my buns. I wish people would just support thier own products.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, or it has already been said in other post but most foreign car companies actually make their products in the United States. However, most US car manufactures make their cars in other countries, like Mexico, and Canada.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, or it has already been said in other post but most foreign car companies actually make their products in the United States.

Sorry, no matter where it's BUILT the money goes back to Japan or Germany or wherever, which means I want no part of it.

However, most US car manufactures make their cars in other countries, like Mexico, and Canada.

That's why it takes me so long to try and find a new car. Heck I'm starting to look NOW to try and find a manufacturer that I can buy from NEXT YEAR or the year after. I am really hoping to be able to find an American company that actually builds their SUV's here in the United States. If I can't I'm probably going to have to break down and buy a used vehicle, which is something I really don't want to have to do.

Mass,

Are you just insanely bitter about foreign things because the white man took all your land and killed all the buffalo?

Besides that thanks for your input. That is the whole point of this thread. I need help buying a car and will most likely buy American because I will get more for my money-- but not if it's gonna crap out on me in five years. I have a sweet 98 Maxima that has been very good to me. She just passed 150,000 miles and my mechanic says to expect another 100,000 more. That's the kind of car I need to get so I'm gonna have to keep an open mind when buying the product.

Archived