Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buges on Redskins Lunch Just Said...

SkinsNoles21

It's nice if we win, but realistically, it is preseason. There is no continuity because the starters will not play the majority at least until the end and then is it really worth having another Portis incident. I am not for worrying about what may or may not happen, but at the same time why worry about games that don't mean anything. I am for winning the games, but not at the cost of injuring our players.

My opinion is that you can overthink this. And for whatever reason, Gibbs seems to be really really overthinking pre-season ever since he got here.

And, in this, following the crowd may be the best idea. So, do what everyone does.

Play starters in the first quarter the first game, into the second in the second, until halftime in the third and hardly at all in the fourth. Run your offense and defense as you normally would. And stop worrying so much.

Too much of football is stuck in the 1960s still for some reason. In 1968, you probably could be scouted to your detriment in a pre-season game. In 2007, everyone has every game you've ever played on Blu-Ray Disc. If there is a weakness, they've found it. Get over the fear.

Winning isn't near as important as showing the ability to move the ball on offense and stop the opposing offense on defense. Winning is usually a bi-product of those things if they're done well, but not necessarily an absolute.

I'd love to see some good execution out there this year. I don't wanna hear about us holding back and I defintely don't want to see another 49-0 blowout. Not unless it favors us, of course.

Release the hounds, I say.

I'm for it!!

Last year Tom Brady and company ran a "no huddle" in the preseason against our first string defense and stomped us in the ground. They used a mix of run and pass that continued during the regular season. It didnt seem to bother the patriots that they ran their offense in the preseason and regular season, so why should it bother the Redskins?

I'm for it!!

Last year Tom Brady and company ran a "no huddle" in the preseason against our first string defense and stomped us in the ground. They used a mix of run and pass that continued during the regular season. It didnt seem to bother the patriots that they ran their offense in the preseason and regular season, so why should it bother the Redskins?

Good point.

I also remember the Bengals running flea-flickers and end arounds in our first game with them.

Win the first quarter and I will be happy. As long as the offense shows some rythm who cares what the final score is. I don't want our backup players to suck but I would be happy with holding their own. A .500 preseason without injuries would have me smiling leading up to the Miami game.

Face it, we knew what was happening in that loss to New England, our team was way behind. I think we will know a lot more in two weeks.

honestly who cares what plays we run...if you are good at them then thats all that matters.

but...The wide receivers and campbell getting together thing is being blown out of proportion. Campbell has been busting ass this offseason to prepare, and the timing will come as soon as they get some reps and practice.

Also, didnt the receivers report a few days early to get some extra work in with him?

With JC being a basically a rookie, even in his 3rd year, I think getting more snaps is a positive. I also think you need good players in front of him to protect him so he doesn't get needless hits in preseason. But have to worry about injuries like CP last year.

i think it is a great idea letting the first string offense in a little longer minus portis because we need those recievers to get in step with Jason, that will basically make or break our season. Whereas the defense doesn't need to be on as much as the offense imo, since we have mostly vets on that side of the ball who have played together for a while.

My my what astute fans we have here.

I hope we open up the playbook this year. I remember one year that we ran some kind of trick play every preseason game. When the regular season started we ran a flea flicker in the first quarter of almost every game that year and we completed a lot of Riggins to Theismann to Art, Charlie etc...

Does anybody remember which team that was???

I'm worried about injuries to key players ... the Skins are not a young team ... who cares about pre-season ... I would play younger guys the first two games ... all you need is one good outing ... the third pre-season game is the key ... Campbell should play only one and half quarters the first 2 games ... then play three quartes the 3rd game ... Bramlet and Palmer should play the rest of the time. Santa, Portis, Samuels, Springs, Washington and Griffin should play notta.

Last year I SCREAMED...."why are you holding back plays. Why are you hiding the playbook? There are NO SECRET PLAYS. All you are doing is keeping your guys from practicing your playbook"

And I was always told "shut up how many superbowl rings do you have." Well I have none but I have common sense and apparently Joe Gibbs has finally agreed with me and now is trying it my way.

I am happy the Redskins will be playing and not hiding stuff this preseason. It forms a different mindset. Also Coach Gibbs, DON'T play Clinton Portis in Pre Season. Let the guy begin the season healthy. For further information see L.T.'s preseason play time with the Chargers.

I hadnt heard that, i appreciate the update! :cheers:

No prob, :cheers:

Read it in the paper today, I think it said Randle El and Moss were there, not sure about Lloyd. I was just skimming through though.

Also heard from Lacanfora on WPL that Portis has been at Redskins park a lot lately, looking at film as well as running 100 yard dashes. Apparently he is back to prior form seeing that he matched his best ever time.

I guess I don't care if they win the preseason games or not. What I do care about in preseason is execution... maintaining blocks on offense, making good reads from our QBs, solid tackling, coverage and (please God) pass rushing from the defense..

oh yeah, and no more quotes from players like "it's only preseason.." that leads into "it's still early" in the regular season, which turns into "our backs are against the wall" and ultimately becomes "we're building for next year".. ugh.

Archived