Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buges on Redskins Lunch Just Said...

SkinsNoles21

Their philosophy in the pre-season is going to be different this year. He said they dont want to lose in the preseason and start out 0-4 and 0-6 like last year and are going to play the regulars a little more in the preseason and are coming out to win.

They also arent going to keep as much of their offense hidden like they supposedly did last year and are going to run more of a full offense.

I have mixed feelings on this one...on one hand I dont want to come out flat against Miami, on the other hand I dont want to lose many key players.

thoughts?

Buges just keeps talking about how things are going to be different, coaching different...everything different.

"5-11 is so unacceptable in Redskins tradition....you almost made me throw up Larry."

Buges

Their philosophy in the pre-season is going to be different this year. He said they dont want to lose in the preseason and start out 0-4 and 0-6 like last year and are going to play the regulars a little more in the preseason and are coming out to win.

They also arent going to keep as much of their offense hidden like they supposedly did last year and are going to run more of a full offense.

I have mixed feelings on this one...on one hand I dont want to come out flat against Miami, on the other hand I dont want to lose many key players.

thoughts?

Buges just keeps talking about how things are going to be different, coaching different...everything different.

I think this is a good thing. Preseason isn't like reg. season obviously, but things do need to be approached differently than last year.

i like it if the mentality behind it is "we don't care if they know what we are bringing because we are going to keep bringing it." i didn't hear it, but i can see buges thinking that way..."50 gut 50 gut 50 gut, you know what we're running now stop us." that type of mentality works for me; however, if this is more like "we don't know what we have and want to run everything to be comfortable, then i'm concerned.

thoughts?

Campbell needs the reps, so I'm in favor of him playing as much as possible. Of course that means that the starting Oline needs to be out there for all his snaps. I'd also like to see Campbell get it going with Lloyd and Randel El. The only starters on offense I'd limit are Portis and Moss.

I think this is very good, glad to see we actually are making changes. Anyone ever noticed since the Gibbs era during pre-season the teams we play have their starters in for much longer then ours.

yea this kind of goes back to how they said they are going to review everything they did last season. Im sure they watched the film and talked with some people and realized they gotta keep their starters out there a little longer.

And thats good for us fans we get to watch our players play a little longer.

The fact is, the Redskins have really started out flat every year under Gibbs. If they are going to go out and win, they need to do better than that. They can't depend on coming from behind at the end of the year every year.

Jason

I wouldn't say we started out flat in 2005. I believe we were 3-0.

We struggled offensively against the Bears and until the end of the Dallas game, we were seriously getting outplayed. We could have very easily been 1-2.

Jason

Well, you're focusing just on offense. Our defense came out of the gates just fine.

Even still, one of the reasons we struggled offensively in the first couple of games is because we played good defenses. Chicago was going to be terrific that year - it's just that most people didn't know it yet. Seattle and Dallas were solid that season as well.

Were we playing our best football in September? No. But it was better than the football we played in October and November.

I hate the "Vanilla" excuse. This is an offense that is in the second year of its system and scheme with very little turnover as far as players on offense. They should be clicking at this point. Sucks that Campbell and the WR's never got together, but thats what training camp and preseason is for.

Last year, I didnt expect what a lot of people expected. It was like starting from scrap with a new offensive system and a huge turnover in the player dept. We had to bench Brunell and Campbell got his frst start and seven games of invaluable experience.

This is year two of the same offense, with the same players and Campbell running the show. This is also the first time in seven years that Campbell has been in the same offensive scheme, two years in a row. Every year he was in college he had to learn a new offense.

My hope is that he is ready to roll, and so is the rest of the offense. I have expectations this season. We stacked our secondary with quality depth and with teh addition of LFB, it puts Lemar Marshall as a versitle back up at any of the LB positions. If our D-Line can overachieve, or if we pick up one more quality depth lineman FA, (offensive of defensive ) we should be set.

I dont see how we can underachieve like we did last year. I just dont see it.

ITP!

ITP!

Remember that?

Its important for a young QB to get alot of reps in the preseason games and you do not want him behind the 2nd string offensive line! You do not want a 3rd string HB picking up the linebacker blitz when your franchise QB is on the field. Its live action, the more the better I say.

The defense is a different story, we have alot of older guys that we know about, and what they bring to the table so they need to keep them healthy. The youngsters need to play, like Landry and a few vets that were on different teams a year ago like Macklin.

Playing scared and not wanting to risk injury, is just that risky. Injuries happen, thats why depth is so important. The NFL draft after the first 2 rounds is just for that, picking depth at areas of need....well.....I will not get into that discussion here

Holding back plays was a big part of our disgusting performance early in the season last year. Great teams run there stuff and dare you to stop it, you are not gonna fool many defenses in this league with trick plays. When its 3rd and short, nobody is fooled, you are gonna run the ball 95% of the time, can the defense stop you? Same with 3rd and long.....

I support this decision. The only way to make it work in the early season is to run it against teams in preseason. Joe Gibbs Football was always based on this premise:

"You know what we're gonna do. Let's see you stop us."

I like this philosophy.

Here's my problem with the whole Vanilla thing. A good team should be able to run an offensive play and gain positive yardage even if the opposing defense knows aprox. what is coming. Back when the Redskins and the Hogs were good, Riggo could run the same play over and over and get yardage/win games. If we can come out and practice those plays that are going to work for us all season, we might as well start in the pre-season to figure out which ones work and which are most effective given our personel.

With a 700 page playbook, you should be able to fit the playbook to the players, not the players to the playbook.

Archived