Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Drive Safe, Friend Was Killed

InsaneBoost

UPDATE VIDEO: http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=131760

Wow, I just got a message from a friend over aim, a buddy we knew from HS was killed last night in MD. Like, you never expect this stuff to happen to your friends, especially after you just saw them the other day. Like you never think about not seeing them again, but like, I don't even have words to say, this is a bad day for me. Dude was a great car buddy of mine, almost like a brother, always gave me rides home, or to school back then, chilled on weekends, good guy, it just shows, speeding does not help at all.

Here's the info from WTOP

ROCKVILLE, Md. - Two men are dead and a third injured after a crash Monday morning on the Capital Beltway near River Road.

Maryland State Police say a Dodge Neon was traveling too fast around a curve on the Outer Loop when it flipped over and slammed into the back of a trailer.

The accident happened around 1:30 a.m., but the investigation and cleanup lasted until after 5 a.m.

The driver and the passenger who were killed were in the front seat. Police identify them as as David Patricio Castro of Alexandria and Mateo L. Rios of Falls Church. Both were 21.

Melvin Martinez, 22, of Falls Church, Va., was in the back seat. He is expected to survive.

All three men in the car were wearing seat belts.

The trailer was being pulled by a Ford F1-50. A husband and wife were in that truck. They were not harmed and were parked legally on the shoulder of the road.

Police say alcohol does not appear to be a factor at this point.

RIP David, you will be missed man.

Truely, truely sad. Things like this need to teach people to value life. Every day on 495 I see people going 80 or 90 in and out of traffic only to h ave to slow down again 3 minutes later as traffic slows down. All that speeding to only get to where you need to go by a matter of minutes. We need to all stop driving recklessly and remember that there basically is no difference in arriving at a place at 8:00 and 8:05. I see this all to often. A young man or womans life ended over speed. May he rest in peace man, I'm sorry for your loss.

R.I.P. to your friend David. I kind of know how you feel. I lost one of my closest friends earlier this year to a car accident. I just saw her the week before she died, she died 2 or 3 days before her birthday.

The part that gets me is, I still have to remind a lot of my friends and family to do little things like wear seatbelts. Something tells me my friend would be here today if she had on a seatbelt. I dont understand how people can lose somebody and not learn from it.

Man, that turn is very dangerous - I'm surprised there aren't more accidents there. Not sure why they put it in like that. :(

I frequent that stretch of road and I've taken that turn at speeds much higher than the posted speed limit and have had no problem (I drive a station wagon). They must have been really screaming to roll the car.

Regardless, sorry for you loss InsaneBoost.

Wow thats horrible. About a week ago, a friend of mine got in a serious accident. They were coming back from AC and his friend fell asleep at the wheel and crashed. My friend was thrown from the car, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt by the way, about 50 feet. The amazing part it is he survived with no broken bones or any serious damage. Just a couple of cuts and bruises. His friend was also not hurt. I still can't understand people who don't wear it when they drive. Sorry for your loss man.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. My prayers to you and to the families of the young men. I agree w/another poster(TLC I believe)...don't avoid his parents..they need you to be there for them. Just a simple "I'm sorry for your loss, is there anything I can do" will suffice. You don't have to give a speech..just let them know you care and cared about their son. That will bring them comfort. It may not seem that way..but they will remember your condolences once they come out of the fog of shock.

Peace

The strange part, is they were all wearing them, I'm guess maybe it was such a bad crash it really didn't help, I don't know. I don't even know how to talk to his parents, I don't know what to say or anything, it's so hard.

I lost my brother in a car accident on the beltway and my parents always really appreciated any kind of gesture from his friends. Be it a word, or a card or any kind of thing letting them know you are thinking about their son and their family, you'd be surprised how much it is appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

I just read your post. Sorry for the loss of your friend. I was on the Beltway over the weekend coming back from Rockville. There were a couple of cars that flew on by me. Yeah those turns are sharp. I don't like changing lanes on any curve whether it's the Beltway or the County parkway. And now with the new VA driving laws, I heed to the speed limit, maybe 5 over.

I drive by there almost daily. That's the same spot where a trucker dumped his load over the edge of the overpass last year and killed a motorist down below because he took the curve too fast...

http://www.gazette.net/stories/030206/bethnew154502_31999.shtml

Sorry for your loss, Insane

Guess it wasn't at the curve above. It was on the other side of River Rd. Had to be on the inner loop though, if they were coming from VA like they say in the vid.

Archived