Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Could Change One Play in Redskin History, What Would It Be?

radagast5

While the Raiders and their fans might disagree because they thought the Raiders were the better team anyway, that play changed history. Instead of that Raiders team being the 20th ranked Super Bowl winning team according to the producers of America's game, the Skins would probably have garnered a Top 10 ranking. That team had only two 1-point losses that season, won 11 straight games, still own the highest turnover ratio in history (+43, no one else has come close), and fielded one of the most powerful offensive juggernauts, running AND passing, of all time. That was Joe Gibbs' best team, one of the best of all time, yet they will forever be remembered for the embarrassing loss to the Raiders and for Marcus Allen's run.

I think that IF we had won that game...that team would have gone down as the best ever...not just to us, but to the wide majority...they would have been a Repeat Chamion AND they scored a THEN NFL Record 541 points that season...not to mention the 2 losses were just by 1 point each, both on MNF.

And one more.......

Everyone talks about the Turk Brothers messing up the FG in the 1999 playoff game at Tampa. Well, first of all, I had little confidence that Conway would have made the kick even with a clean snap/hold.

But the play that irks me more than any other in that game, is one made by Brad Johnson, and it's why I still regard him as one of the most overrated QB's I've ever seen.

We were up 13-0. We had total control of the game. I believe Tampa had either just punted, turned it over, or something. Either way, we were in control. Late third quarter.

1st down: Brad Johnson lofts one of the ugliest passes I've ever seen down the sideline-- John Lynch intercepts it. Momentum swings. Rest is history. For years and years I've wondered what would have happened had Johnson simply thrown that ball away.

1st down: Brad Johnson lofts one of the ugliest passes I've ever seen down the sideline-- John Lynch intercepts it. Momentum swings. Rest is history. For years and years I've wondered what would have happened had Johnson simply thrown that ball away.

As I stated above, That game, the way we just gave it away, is the exclamation point to Norv's Career!

Our defense was terrible in the regular season, but in the playoffs became dominant. I still think we could have given the rams a run for their money, because their defense was pretty bad also.

Eh, whats in the past is in the past. :D

1. (2005) Hasselbeck dumping it off to his fullback for a huge gain on 3rd and long late in the 4th quarter, pretty much icing the win for them.

2. (2004) Ed Reed blowing by Ladell Betts' whiff, whacking Mark Brunell, scooping up the ball and taking it to the house. We were in control of that game and should never have lost to those punks.

3. (2004) Testaverde going deep. Nuff said.

4. (2005) LT just blowing through Ryan Clark in overtime.

Obviously if I only had one play to change, these wouldn't be it. They are the main plays from the last few years that stick in my craw for some reason.

REALLY surprised no one has mentioned the Mitchell fumble in the 1992 playoff game at SF.

It was late and our offense was ROLLING. It looked like we were going to take a 3 point lead, and then Mitchell/Rypien muffed the hand-off.

You could essentially say that that play was the beginning of the end for that era of Redskins football.

When I first saw the thread title my mind immediately went to the Squirek interception in SB18.

The fumble in the San Fran game was the 2nd play I thought of...I thought we were moving in for the win on that one. Then to have Gibbs retire at the end of the season made it hurt even worse...

The three that immediately came to mind were all from the 70's--Clint Longley's bomb on Thanksgiving, the Mel Gray catch and Billy Kilmer's pass that hit the cross bar.

But if we're taking the term "play" very loosely, maybe I'd go with drafting Heath Shuler or better still Jack Kent Cooke's will.

How about the Aeneas Williams' play? If that 2000 team was 8-3 after the St. Louis game, who knows what would have happened?

Honestly, I think everyone forgets how close that 2000 team was to being - well not successful - but not a debacle either. If that team goes 10-6 and at least makes the playoffs, none of the Danny madness probably hangs over the team. Norv survives to coach another year. Brad Johnson probably sticks around. The Redskins are not mocked every time they sign a free agent.

Of course, we are probably still paying to see training camp, but whatever.

---John Riggins converts a 3rd and 1 late in the 4th vs. Dallas in 1979, thereby allowing the Redskins to run out the clock in a 34-28 victory, pushing the 'Skins into the playoffs.

Not just pushing the Skins into the playoffs but giving them the #1 seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Instead we lose and the Cardinals roll over like dogs against the Bears and we miss the playoffs entirely.

If you could alter the outcome of one play in Redskin history, what would it be?

This isn't an exercise to fabricate something entirely out of thin air, just change the outcome of one play. For instance:

---Carlos Rogers hangs onto the INT in Seattle and takes it to the house.

---Dan Turk makes a clean snap in Tampa and Conway boots the 'Skins to a 16-14 victory in the 1999 playoffs.

---Brian Mitchell doesn't fumble late in the 4th vs. San Fran in the '92 playoffs.

---John Riggins converts a 3rd and 1 late in the 4th vs. Dallas in 1979, thereby allowing the Redskins to run out the clock in a 34-28 victory, pushing the 'Skins into the playoffs.

---Joe Theismann throws the ball away, preventing Squirek's INT in SB XVIII, and the 'Skins head into halftime down 14-3 instead of 21-3.

Feel free to come up with your own, just nothing completely made-up like: Marcus Allen runs into Jim Plunkett on the first play of SB XVIII and the 'Skins run the fumble back for a TD, while both Allen and Plunkett break their legs and are out for the game.

My vote is for Conway making the FG in Tampa in Jan. 2000. I think that team had the ability to beat the Rams and the Titans. I think the 2005 squad was on vapors by playoff time and couldn't have beaten Carolina even if they had advanced that far.

What's your choice?

Nice post, you got both plays I was thinking of the Riggo 3rd down in 79 and the Super Bowl XVIII disaster. I still have a mark on my forehead from where I slapped it when I saw Theismann's ball float up there and big Jerk Squirek coming for it.

What about Clint Longley's TD in 1974? We might have won the NFC; we would have won the NFC-E that year. I believe that performance helped Dallas get into position to draft Tony Dorsett.
Way overrated IMHO. This just occurred in front of a large TV audience.

I'll go with Billy Kilmer's pass not hitting the crossbar in Super Bowl VII and hitting Jerry Smith wide open in the endzone instead, as it would have had it not hit the crossbar.

Yeah, that one still hurts.

Interestingly, I happened to catch Doc Walker interviewing Brig Owens yesterday, and Brig mentioned TWO Kilmer passes off the crossbar in that game---the Smith one and another to someone whose name I didn't get. The Smith one I remember like it was yesterday, but for the life of me I can't recall another.

Anyone?

The three that immediately came to mind were all from the 70's--Clint Longley's bomb on Thanksgiving, the Mel Gray catch and Billy Kilmer's pass that hit the cross bar.

You mean Gray's NON-CATCH don't you? Man, I was so pissed at that call I couldn't talk about anything else for weeks!! I can't remember what year it was or what our prospects were for the playoffs, but I do know that no other play before or since felt as bad to me.

That said, I'll vote for the Squirek interception. I really felt that Joey T. was washed up as of that moment, yet he started the next season and stayed in until LT settled the matter.

Great choices, all of them. My choices:

All-time: Squirek INT in SB 18. Worst day of my life as a Skins fan.

All-time part B: The night before SB 18, someone on the Skins roster says, "hey guys let's party a little, one drink won't hurt!"

Gibbs II era: Carlos "Butterfinger" Rogers drops the INT against Seattle.

Gibbs II era part B: Opening kickoff of season opener 2006, Pierson Prioleau goes down and forces Arch Deluxe into pass coverage.

Danny era moment: "Hmm, should I hire a GM, or what the heck, maybe I'll give this Vinny guy a call, he seems pretty energetic and he is available."

You mean the Mel Gray non-catch right! ;)

Real quick, I once ran into Pat Fischer about 15 years ago and the first thing I said to him was "Mel Gray did not catch that ball." He lit up like a Christmas Tree and talked to me about that play for 10 minutes or so. He said his wife had just recently made him take his photos of that play down from the basement walls.

You're right, I'd like to take all three of those plays away too (I mentioned the Longley one in my previous post as well).

Hail,

H

I'll go with the referee's call( :nutkick: ) that Mike Alstott got into the end zone at the end of the Tampa Bay game 2 years ago.

Why? That was a regular season game and we got into the playoffs anyway. It would have won us the NFC East if we had won but some of these other plays would have won us the Super Bowl (possibly). Hopefully you're being sarcastic.

You mean Gray's NON-CATCH don't you? Man, I was so pissed at that call I couldn't talk about anything else for weeks!! I can't remember what year it was or what our prospects were for the playoffs, but I do know that no other play before or since felt as bad to me.

I posted before I read your post jfs! The year was 1975 and it was in the middle or so of the season. We were fighting with the Cards for the top spot in the NFC East. We lost that game in overtime and never got back on track after that.

That and the Longley play are ones I'll never get over.

By the way, here's a link to a Thread Tarhog created that includes the video of that "catch" (titled "The Phanton Catch). http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98336&highlight=Pat+Fischer

EDIT: Looks like the link to the video is now bad.

Hail,

H

Archived