Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pope: Other Christians not true churches

China

I will be VERY interested to see how other religious groups respond to this. Especially the Protestant denominations, but also the Jewish clergy and other religious groups that interact with local RC Churches.

It really doesn't effect me, since I'm Pagan (and NO, Druids don't worship trees); but as a former Lutheran I'll find it interesting to see how the different groups react to this.

The hypocrisy of the Catholic church is astounding. They actually have Bernie "the pimp" Law in the Vatican voting on the pope and living life in style, instead of getting ramrodded in jail where he should be. What an asshat this douche bag is, quite fitting for the RCC if you ask me.

There are a lot of things that the church can be nailed for, not putting a man in jail is NOT one of them. Sorry to burst your bubble chomerics but the church has no power to jail anyone. You want him in jail? Call the prosecutor.

BTW - I love how the church gets slammed for this but the protestant churches that reguarly seperate Catholics from "Christians" and try to "save" catholics get no heat for it. Those christians offended by this that belong to the very churches that act this way can bite me.

I will be VERY interested to see how other religious groups respond to this. Especially the Protestant denominations, but also the Jewish clergy and other religious groups that interact with local RC Churches.

It really doesn't effect me, since I'm Pagan (and NO, Druids don't worship trees); but as a former Lutheran I'll find it interesting to see how the different groups react to this.

As Germany is nearly split in half between Protestants and Catholics, it will be interesting to see how his own country deals with this.

I was raised a Lutheran and have been for my thirty one years so, if you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to become a Pagan? I'm not going to damn you or anything, lol, I'm just genuinely curious how that happens. Was it just one day you decided that Lutheranism wasn't for you or was it events that happened over a long period of time?

As Germany is nearly split in half between Protestants and Catholics, it will be interesting to see how his own country deals with this.

Yes, that will be very interesting to see. Just as it will be exceptionally interesting to follow how many American RC Churches go back to the Latin Mass and stop allowing non-Catholics to attend their schools, services, etc...

I was raised a Lutheran and have been for my thirty one years so, if you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to become a Pagan? I'm not going to damn you or anything, lol, I'm just genuinely curious how that happens. Was it just one day you decided that Lutheranism wasn't for you or was it events that happened over a long period of time?

I was raised a LCMS Lutheran. My maternal grandfather was a Lutheran minister and both sides of my family have been devoted Lutherans for many generations. For me it was a matter of things in Christianity that just didn't add up. The idea that none of the payout for being a good person was in this lifetime. The idea that some of the paranormal/supernatural things I'd seen and experienced in my lifetime couldn't exist in that belief system. Things like that.

The ultimate straw that broke the camel's back was the death of my father in 2001. He was the most faithful and good man I've ever come across in my entire life. He put everyone else ahead of his wants and needs. His reward... a two year battle with skin cancer that eventually moved into his brain and killed him. It dawned on me that if the reward for my father's life was that, I didn't want to know what my reward would be.

I was raised a LCMS Lutheran. My maternal grandfather was a Lutheran minister and both sides of my family have been devoted Lutherans for many generations. For me it was a matter of things in Christianity that just didn't add up. The idea that none of the payout for being a good person was in this lifetime. The idea that some of the paranormal/supernatural things I'd seen and experienced in my lifetime couldn't exist in that belief system. Things like that.

The ultimate straw that broke the camel's back was the death of my father in 2001. He was the most faithful and good man I've ever come across in my entire life. He put everyone else ahead of his wants and needs. His reward... a two year battle with skin cancer that eventually moved into his brain and killed him. It dawned on me that if the reward for my father's life was that, I didn't want to know what my reward would be.

I guess I've never been taught that paranormal/supernatural things couldn't exist in the Lutheran belief system. Granted, it's not something that is out and out discussed during the Sunday sermon, but it seems a bit hypocritical to expect people to believe in the Holy Spirit or in the many miracles that Jesus performed but not to believe that other things can happen to us today as well. My grandmother and I have both experienced things that couldn't just be nicely explained, but I never felt that that took away anything from our Lutheran upbringing or made anyone look at us any differently.

I know your struggle in understanding how bad things can happen to good people. I struggle with that too. But I just have to have faith that there is a purpose to everything that I may not understand right now but will one day. That maybe those people have a greater purpose to serve in heaven.

I hope that whatever spiritual or religious path you choose, today or in the future, brings you peace. :)

I'm Catholic and I think the Pope is headed in the wrong direction on this one. I enjoy it when our Priest says we need to love Christians of other denominations as Jesus taught us to love one another and that we should pray for a unified faith. Now I won't be hearing that anymore.

This has been the position of the Catholic Church since the beginning. It's not anything new. Of course it's not biblical in any way shape or form, but it's not a surprise either.

"The church" is not a religion, an organization or a building. It is merely the sum total of all believers. "The church, which is Christ's body".

Well...I'm not catholic...don't really understand that stuff at all. I don't "believe" in organized religion although I do attend church. I don't claim a denomination. The bible clearly states how one "attains" salvation and it has nothing to do with church(as in a building w/4 walls). It has everything to do with what you believe in and whom you choose to believe in. It doesn't say b/c I don't attend a catholic church I and all others like me are going to hell. If it does then I apparently missed that part and would invite someone to direct me to that particular scripture.

I thought Jesus said..don't judge others and you won't be judged...and He also said.."By this one thing will they know that you are my disciples and follow me...LOVE in your heart towards others" (or close to that) This doesn't sound like a very loving person saying these things..it actually sounds pompous and self serving imo...but I ain't judgin!..:silly:

Silly Pope! Give folks a little power and they b/c drunk with it:doh:

Well...I'm not catholic...don't really understand that stuff at all. I don't "believe" in organized religion although I do attend church. I don't claim a denomination. The bible clearly states how one "attains" salvation and it has nothing to do with church(as in a building w/4 walls). It has everything to do with what you believe in and whom you choose to believe in. It doesn't say b/c I don't attend a catholic church I and all others like me are going to hell. If it does then I apparently missed that part and would invite someone to direct me to that particular scripture.

There also isn't anything in the bible that says you have to confess your sins to someone sitting in a box, or that you can pay your way into heaven or anything of that sort. Hence the Protestants said, "Now, wait a minute!" ;)

There also isn't anything in the bible that says you have to confess your sins to someone sitting in a box, or that you can pay your way into heaven or anything of that sort. Hence the Protestants said, "Now, wait a minute!" ;)

You are correct!..It only says you have profess your belief in Jesus and that he is the Son of God & that he died on the cross for your(excuse me..our)sins & that he arose on the 3rd day and now sits at the right hand of the father making intercessions for us:)

You are correct!..It only says you have profess your belief in Jesus and that he is the Son of God & that he died on the cross for your(excuse me..our)sins & that he arose on the 3rd day and now sits at the right hand of the father making intercessions for us:)

It also says faith without works is dead. You see, it's just as easy for a Catholic to tear down Protestant ideaology too.

It also says faith without works is dead. You see, it's just as easy for a Catholic to tear down Protestant ideaology too.

More then just that, Jesus himself hits the topic directly. What does Jesus say is the difference between the sheeps and the goats? It's not belief that he points out, it's action. He seperates them based on what they DID.

The works grace debate is one I'm extremely familiar with.

You're correct it does say that...but it doesn't say that in conjunction w/salvation. Tear away...we live in a free country. Believe what you want...I can agree to disagree or agree w/you.:)

And I add b/c I read the post after yours..after I posted this...so I wanted to add on to this...the faith/works thing is important...And this is purely MY OPINION...I'm no expert and I'm far from educated enough to argue w/anyone...I only speak my opinion....and interpretation...and my interpretation may be flawed in others' eyes...and that's ok w/me...anyhoo....I feel(believe) that your faith saves you and gets you into heaven...and IF we proclaim such faith then we should be willing to do the works...in other words....proclaiming faith in Jesus should bring about change in us...to know what's right and not do it is sin...so while we say we follow Jesus...we should live as closely to his teachings as possible. I usually don't discuss religion or christianity with other people b/c to me its a very personal thing. I like to hear other ppl's views on Christ and such...and I don't have to agree w/them..and they don't have to agree w/me all the time either. Normally tho...religious discussions cause riffs between folks..so I stay away from them.:)

This has been the position of the Catholic Church since the beginning. It's not anything new. .

Exactly

It has been soft soaped at times and at others enforced with sword and fire,but it has always been the position.

I am surprised he is accepting the Greek orthodox...coward :laugh:

Benedict, who attended Vatican II as a young theologian, has long complained about what he considers its erroneous interpretation by liberals, saying it was not a break from the past but rather a renewal of church tradition.

Apostolic succession my ass.

Nothing new, Vatican II declared that other "Christian" churches outside Catholicism were, I believe the terminology is, "seperated brethren". But, hey that's ok Pope Bene we'll see you in heaven just the same.

The only thing that a statement like this will do is flare up more anti-Catholic sentiment.

The other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have apostolic succession - the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles - and therefore their priestly ordinations are not valid, it said.

Dang, looks like I'm out of a job. Anyone hiring?

Church Fight!!!!!!

Catholics are the best athletes in the world. Football we have Notre Dame and Basketball we have Xavier, Georgetown, St John.

We would crush any other religion in pugilism.

Besides that our Pope is a former Nazi.. How can you get more bad ass than that?

Nothing new, Vatican II declared that other "Christian" churches outside Catholicism were, I believe the terminology is, "seperated brethren". But, hey that's ok Pope Bene we'll see you in heaven just the same.

The only thing that a statement like this will do is flare up more anti-Catholic sentiment.

That's an interesting point. Church council is the highest order of Catholic law. Vatican council II did in fact say other "people of faith" could assend to heaven. ( which was pretty big of us.. ). How exactly can the Pope go against church council?

As for Anti Catholic sentiment. Take a number.

Archived