Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggins vs Taylor

InsaneBoost

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

No there might be two other people in the whole damn world that agree with you.

NFL Hall of Fame, Class of 1992

NFL 1980s All-Decade Team

70 Greatest Redskins

Redskins' Ring of Fame

Next question....

:laugh:

Didnt Riggins have around 160 yards each playoff game?

The closest thing to Babe Ruth pointing where he is sending the next pitch over the wall is Riggo going up the middle. Play after play. The D knows it's coming, but is helpless to stop him. These are playoff/SB teams, not the Cardinals.

If Riggo sees ST coming and gets his head down, Riggo 7 for 10.

There's no question here. Riggins was a powerhouse.

After watching the NFL network program of the story of the 82 SuperBowl Camp Redskins, how could anyone NOT pick Riggins?

I love watching Taylor destroy people... but Riggins wouldn't go down if Taylor hit him.

This is what Riggins in his prime would do to ST in his prime:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487706388084849740&q=sean+taylor+trucked&total=9&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I love 'em both so don't flame me, but I don't even see the question here.

Not the greatest example in the world.....

I'd take my dead grandmother running full speed at a still object much less a college running back....Taylor did bounce right back up from that hit though...

I do still think it would be Riggins

Excuses. Excellent.

Look, Taylor doesn't destroy RBs. Look at his highlight reels. Taylor destroys WRs who are looking at the ball and punters running on 4th down.

You don't ever see Taylor 1on1 open field tackle destroy a RB. He isn't very good at that. In fact, he blew a key tackle that cost us a game last season.

But that is one clip of a power back (like Riggins) 1on1 open field against Taylor. And look what happened.

If you want to argue that Greg Jones is more of an animal than Riggins, then go at it. Feel free to say stupid things.

So you tear down Taylor to build up the case for Riggins?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A885KhBFJwM

There are at least 4 plays in the first minute or so where he comes in and nails an RB while they are moving forward. So now Taylor only destroys WRs who are looking the other way and Punters because of one play at the Pro Bowl? That clip you showed of Taylor getting run over is irrelevant unless you are talking about a scenario where Taylor is pretty much standing still and Riggo is running full speed. I don't think I've ever seen Taylor going for someone, hit them, and then bounce off...be it an RB, FB, WR, whoever. When he is running on all cylinders and he hits people they tend to stop or go backwards or if they are big dudes, maybe a little bit forward. I'm also not taking anything away from Riggo. He was a beast and I think it would be a fair matchup. Both strong, fast, physical guys who have absolutely no fear. I'd give it 50/50.

Well, in that case, jog my memory. I can recall ST clocking many a reciever to the point they grew alligator arms, but I can't recall him blowing up ANY RB. ST has decent tackling skills too, but Riggo is famous for plowing through secondaries after the Hogs cracked the line. Even to the point of carrying them along for additional yardage. I'm not making this up. It's on film.

Look man I love Riggins. But in his time linebackers were 215-225 and the safetys were MAYBE 190-195 if that. I dont think he ever had to run into a secondary where a safety was pushing 230 pounds coming at you with 4.4 speed. It's really hard to compare. But I'm surprised with the amount of people who are just saying Riggins hands down. I even admitted earlier in the thread that if Riggins came at Taylor full speed with Taylor waiting on him, Riggins would get the best of that. Im still sticking to my conclusion that if both are at full speed Taylor would win hands down. There are many scenarios where one would get the best of the other. The people who say Riggins would win 100% of the time no matter what, have a over inflated value of the past.

Stats are a bit misleading at times. If Riggins can get a consistent 3.5 yards per carry and Clinton Portis breaks off a 20 yard run every now and then to bring his average up to 4 ypc, who is going to convert more first downs running the ball 3 times in a row?

What if Riggins was actually a 3.0 ypc guy who broke off 20 yard carries occasionally to bring it u to 3.5?

There are at least 4 plays in the first minute or so where he comes in and nails an RB while they are moving forward. So now Taylor only destroys WRs who are looking the other way and Punters because of one play at the Pro Bowl? That clip you showed of Taylor getting run over is irrelevant unless you are talking about a scenario where Taylor is pretty much standing still and Riggo is running full speed. I don't think I've ever seen Taylor going for someone, hit them, and then bounce off...be it an RB, FB, WR, whoever. When he is running on all cylinders and he hits people they tend to stop or go backwards or if they are big dudes, maybe a little bit forward. I'm also not taking anything away from Riggo. He was a beast and I think it would be a fair matchup. Both strong, fast, physical guys who have absolutely no fear. I'd give it 50/50.

That is the best ST video I've seen yet

Look man I love Riggins. But in his time linebackers were 215-225 and the safetys were MAYBE 190-195 if that. I dont think he ever had to run into a secondary where a safety was pushing 230 pounds coming at you with 4.4 speed. It's really hard to compare. But I'm surprised with the amount of people who are just saying Riggins hands down. I even admitted earlier in the thread that if Riggins came at Taylor full speed with Taylor waiting on him, Riggins would get the best of that. Im still sticking to my conclusion that if both are at full speed Taylor would win hands down. There are many scenarios where one would get the best of the other. The people who say Riggins would win 100% of the time no matter what, have a over inflated value of the past.

First, the question is hypothetical and has no correct answer.

Second, ST isn't 230 anymore anyway.

Third, Riggo has proven he can dominate secondaries at playoff levels. Repeatedly.

Fourth, ST has not intimidated any RB to my knowlege. I don't remember any of his many monster highlight hits coming on a RB. Recievers only, maybe a punter or two.

Fifth, Riggo took hit after hit on consecutive plays, series after series, game after game, and still moved the chains on his own against the best opponents the NFL could muster. Sometimes an OT would pull and help downfield, but usually Riggo handled the secondary by himself. ST is good for 3 or 4 ball breakers per game. Max.

Sixth, I said 7 out of 10, not 100%.

Seventh, posters on this thread seem to agree with me by a factor of greater than 2:1.

Eighth, I've never lied to you. Why are you doubting me now?

Ninth, Riggo was all legs and neck. After absorbing the initial hit (recievers can't), Riggo would drive ST backwards. ST has skinny calves. Good for speed but not mule work like Riggo.

Tenth, if Safetys are such good run stoppers, why don't we put them in front of the DL so they don't have to stop the RB 8.5 yards downfield. Let the DT's and DE's drop back in coverage. GW, are you listening?

Stats are a bit misleading at times. If Riggins can get a consistent 3.5 yards per carry and Clinton Portis breaks off a 20 yard run every now and then to bring his average up to 4 ypc, who is going to convert more first downs running the ball 3 times in a row?

Riggins 6-2, 230

modern day power backs

Jamal Lewis 5'11 245

Deuce McAllister 6'1 232

Ronnie Brown 6. 232

Can you honestly say riggins would even come close to put up those #'s he did in the 80's

not to mention these modern day powerbacks are fast as well running 4.4 to 4.5

i doubt riggins 4.6-4.7 would help him

riggins was a great player in his time but with sean taylor coming at him with his 4.45 speed riggins would get owned

Third, Riggo has proven he can dominate secondaries at playoff levels. Repeatedly.

Fourth, ST has not intimidated any RB to my knowlege. I don't remember any of his many monster highlight hits coming on a RB. Recievers only, maybe a punter or two.

Fifth, Riggo took hit after hit on consecutive plays, series after series, game after game, and still moved the chains on his own against the best opponents the NFL could muster. Sometimes an OT would pull and help downfield, but usually Riggo handled the secondary by himself. ST is good for 3 or 4 ball breakers per game. Max.

Seventh, posters on this thread seem to agree with me by a factor of greater than 2:1.

Ninth, Riggo was all legs and neck. After absorbing the initial hit (recievers can't), Riggo would drive ST backwards. ST has skinny calves. Good for speed but not mule work like Riggo.

Tenth, if Safetys are such good run stoppers, why don't we put them in front of the DL so they don't have to stop the RB 8.5 yards downfield. Let the DT's and DE's drop back in coverage. GW, are you listening?

Agree to disagree :cheers:

^^^What he said.

The people who say Riggins would win 100% of the time no matter what, have a over inflated value of the past.

I think you're over-valuing the heart of a player in 2007 versus that of one 25 years ago.

Let Riggins train with today's methods versus those of his day or put Taylor back in the late '70's and see how the difference is.

Have you seen sean taylor take down rudi johnson with one shoulder?

Rudi Johnson is stronger then riggins hes 5'10 228 despite being 4 inches shorter then riggins, they weight the same and rudis got 4.5 speed.

Archived