Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggins vs Taylor

InsaneBoost

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If Greg Jones does that, I'm sure Riggins would too.

I actually don't think Taylor is that good one on one with a RB. Taylor is an animal tagging unexpecting WRs (and punters). But if a RB is headup running right at Taylor, Taylor won't lay a big hit and is likely to miss.

Riggins would destroy Taylor.

Riggins was a power guy, is in the HoF and has one of the greatest (if not the greatest) plays in Redskins history.

Taylor hasn't really shown a ton, other than potential and a few highlight reel hits. It seems that's all anyone cares about anymore, though.

Highly doubt that. Riggins was no where near as explosive and powerful as the athletes today. I personally think he would get eaten up in todays league.

Put both guys in the same era, playing with and against the same guys, the same training, etcetera and so one.

That's why Jim Brown is regarded as one of the best. You can't directly compare a guy who played 25-30 years ago to someone today, other than heart. I'd easily say Riggins could "out-heart" Taylor on the field.

I actually don't think Taylor is that good one on one with a RB. Taylor is an animal tagging unexpecting WRs (and punters). But if a RB is headup running right at Taylor, Taylor won't lay a big hit and is likely to miss.

You realize Greg Jones is about 260? He is an absolute hammer.

Point blank. Taylor will get trucked if he is waiting for Riggins. If Taylor is on the move as well... then Riggins would be knocked into next year. The explosiveness is something that nobody is taking seriously. Who cares about weight, it means nothing. If Taylor and riggins are both running at each other then I got my money on Taylor 10 times out of 10.

Case in point. Against Cincinatti.. there was a play when the 240 lb Rudi Johnson got the best of Taylor. Kinda knocked him backwards when Taylor tried to scoop tackle. In the same game with Taylor at full speed.. Johnson was completely knocked sideways and ran about 7 yards east/west. Johnson is a powerful back. Who else knocks Lorenzo Neal out?

You realize Greg Jones is about 260 and probably twice as fast as Riggins right?

Excuses. Excellent.

Look, Taylor doesn't destroy RBs. Look at his highlight reels. Taylor destroys WRs who are looking at the ball and punters running on 4th down.

You don't ever see Taylor 1on1 open field tackle destroy a RB. He isn't very good at that. In fact, he blew a key tackle that cost us a game last season.

But that is one clip of a power back (like Riggins) 1on1 open field against Taylor. And look what happened.

If you want to argue that Greg Jones is more of an animal than Riggins, then go at it. Feel free to say stupid things.

am i the only one that thinks riggins is overrated 3.5 ypc behind the most dominant line in nfl history comeon

Can you say "Carry a team on his shoulders"

http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/rigginsjohn.shtml

After gaining 553 yards in the strike-shortened 1982 season, Riggins was outstanding during the playoffs, gaining 444 yards in victories over the Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, and Dallas Cowboys. He was then named MVP of Super Bowl XVII after rushing for 166 yards on 38 carries in Washington's 27-17 victory over the Miami Dolphins. That effort included a 43-yard touchdown run on a 4th-and-one, fourth-quarter play that put the Redskins ahead to stay. Riggins' total of 610 yards amounted to 43 percent of Washington's offense in the four playoff games.

As for the poll I pick Riggins. It would be close but then again Riggo is about to turn 58 years old...

Excuses. Excellent.

Look, Taylor doesn't destroy RBs. Look at his highlight reels. Taylor destroys WRs who are looking at the ball and punters running on 4th down.

You don't ever see Taylor 1on1 open field tackle destroy a RB. He isn't very good at that. In fact, he blew a key tackle that cost us a game last season.

But that is one clip of a power back (like Riggins) 1on1 open field against Taylor. And look what happened.

If you want to argue that Greg Jones is more of an animal than Riggins, then go at it. Feel free to say stupid things.

You cant compare Greg Jones and Riggins physically. Riggins was more productive but you cant physically compare the two and say because Jones did it, Riggins would do it. Greg Jones is listed lightly around 260. Riggins maxed out at 240. Jones was the more explosive athlete. If you put Riggins in that FSU uniform that day its not a given he would run Taylor over.

Um......Riggins. How is this even close? Who would you take? A franchise running back who is in the Hall of Fame or a guy that hits people really hard? Riggins might have to pause to think to himself how hard he's just been hit as he's stomping down the field with said player on his back for a flipping touchdown! HONK!!!.....HONK!!!.....HONK!!!.....DIESEL!!!

And then they get mad at LaVar for not living up to the hype. Stop building up Sean Taylor to something he's not otherwise he's an injury away from wearing out his welcome and being trashed on this board for being a freelancer, undisciplined and a wasted draft pick. He's good but good enough to even consider next to Football Hercules? No way.

Um......Riggins. How is this even close? Who would you take? A franchise running back who is in the hall of fame or a guy that hits people really hard. And then they get mad at LaVar for not living up to the hype. Stop building up Sean Taylor to something he's not otherwise he's an injury away from wearing out his welcome and being trashed on this board for being a freelancer, undisciplined and a wasted draft pick. He's good but good enough to even consider next to Football Jesus? No way. This post should be closed on principle alone.

:laugh: what does hall of fame have to do with two athletes running at each other? No one is debating who is the better franchise player. The question is who would win head up. In this case, I believe people are hyping Riggins up. He was awesome in his day and an all time redskin great. But back then if you were to put him against someone with Taylor's explosiveness hed get knocked out.

I'm a BIG ST fan, but this isn't even close. Riggo and the Hogs carried the team. All the way to the summit. Riggo was SB MVP. ST has made a few game changing plays and intimidates some recievers. He made the pro bowl because somebody else got hurt.

You children out there should go back to your Madden game and not ask stupid questions.

Most likely it would be Taylor coming out on top, but if Riggins had good leverage while Taylor didn't he would plow right through him. Logically, Taylor usually makes the tackle no matter who the person with the ball is. You would have to take Taylor. The defender usually has the advantage.

EDIT: Wait, this is a question of whether Taylor would make the tackle right?

That's just leverage. Taylor made the mistake of getting his feet set a second too late, and Jones took full advantage of it.

I'm a BIG ST fan, but this isn't even close. Riggo and the Hogs carried the team. All the way to the summit. Riggo was SB MVP. ST has made a few game changing plays and intimidates some recievers. He made the pro bowl because somebody else got hurt.

You children out there should go back to your Madden game and not ask stupid questions.

again, this has nothing to do with MVP's or the offensive line. It is a matter of if Riggins and Taylor were running at each other head on, who would win. Unless Riggins uses the MVP trophy to throw at Taylors head, then Taylor wins the head on collision.

again, this has nothing to do with MVP's or the offensive line. It is a matter of if Riggins and Taylor were running at each other head on, who would win. Unless Riggins uses the MVP trophy to throw at Taylors head, then Taylor wins the head on collision.

Well, in that case, jog my memory. I can recall ST clocking many a reciever to the point they grew alligator arms, but I can't recall him blowing up ANY RB. ST has decent tackling skills too, but Riggo is famous for plowing through secondaries after the Hogs cracked the line. Even to the point of carrying them along for additional yardage. I'm not making this up. It's on film.

am i the only one that thinks riggins is overrated 3.5 ypc behind the most dominant line in nfl history comeon
Highly doubt that. Riggins was no where near as explosive and powerful as the athletes today. I personally think he would get eaten up in todays league.

you 2 guys are clueless.

I voted for Riggins, but I need to know, is Riggins drunk or sober? I think ST is no match for a drunk Riggo, but if he's sober, then it may be a contest. But given that Riggo was drunk most of his prime, I'd think that there is a high probability that he'd be drunk at any encounter with ST.

Riggins was big and strong, but lets be honest, he didn't blow up defenders on every single play. He did it more often then other runningbacks, but you guys are making it sound like he was impossible to tackle. Even the most powerful runningbacks go down more often then they plow through someone. I'd say Taylor would win at least 70% of the time, and that's being generous.

Archived