Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Potential Surprises

RIDETHEWALRUS

As teams finish the OTA (organized team activity) and minicamp portion of the offseason, let's look at some potential surprises in the 2007 season.

LaRon Landry, S, Washington Redskins

Landry should be a playmaking machine in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' system. He will be productive in coverage versus the run and when blitzing. In college, his forte was making big plays, and he will have more opportunities in Washington.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reese_floyd&id=2901633

How is this a surprise? He was considered the best defensive player in the draft and he fills a need for us.

i was more sold on landry than any other defensive lineman. besides there are some REALLY good lineman coming out next year and i would love to see the skins land one of them. two from lsu and one from miami. i saw on espn that herbstreit thought that both of the lsu guys would be first round picks and the miami guy is projected to go in the first as well. i know that doesnt mean anything at this point because college is still in spring practice but they seem to be better players than any of the linemen that came out this year.

I think Landry is going to put up BIG numbers in this scheme. Keep that in mind, any of you who play in fantasy leagues with IDPs. He's going to be put in position to make a lot of tackles and sacks, with maybe a few picks mixed in as well. That should help him in ROY voting as well.

i was more sold on landry than any other defensive lineman. besides there are some REALLY good lineman coming out next year and i would love to see the skins land one of them. two from lsu and one from miami. i saw on espn that herbstreit thought that both of the lsu guys would be first round picks and the miami guy is projected to go in the first as well. i know that doesnt mean anything at this point because college is still in spring practice but they seem to be better players than any of the linemen that came out this year.

The guy from the U is Calais Campbell and he is an animal. 6'7 285 and quick. He will be a junior next year but if he has a very good year and he comes out early, I think he will be an easy top 10 pick. I'd love to have him but I hope we aren't picking in the top 10 again next year.

a while back i read on here that everyone wanted the next julius peppers. well campbell has that size and tyson jackson from lsu is 6'5" 297. if they are as good as advertised i would gladly trade up in the draft to land one of them.

The great thing is, we are in a position to really be a stacked, loaded team like the patriots

What do we need, a DT, a DE, CB, Guard

I say CB cause Springs is probably going to be gone

We have a full draft, PLUS free agency to secure those four key positions

I'm excited.

As teams finish the OTA (organized team activity) and minicamp portion of the offseason, let's look at some potential surprises in the 2007 season.

Landry should be a playmaking machine in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' system. He will be productive in coverage versus the run and when blitzing. In college, his forte was making big plays, and he will have more opportunities in Washington.

How is this a surprise? He was considered the best defensive player in the draft and he fills a need for us.

I totally agree with your question WALRUS. Landry has done nothing but make big plays since he has been playing football. So how would it be a surprise if he continued to do just that?

IMO a surprise would be if someone like Taylor Jacobs all of a sudden came out of no where and had a Probowl caliber season for the 49ers. :)

The great thing is, we are in a position to really be a stacked, loaded team like the patriots

I'm excited.

depending on how our depth at cb plays this year, we may be able to forgo going after a cb in the draft. i think next years draft should be all about the lines, both defensive and offensive.

It is a surprise to most journalist because they instinctively bash all things skins and we actually picked the bpa available instead of reaching at the best player in a position of need. I was before the draft and still am stoked about this pick.

In college, his forte was making big plays, and he will have more opportunities in Washington.

That's why we drafted LL right there! How bad our D needed some big plays last year.

I think they're saying a big season would be a surprise partly because of how long Williams takes sometimes in putting rookies into the starting lineup but also because rookies having BIG seasons is somewhat rare. He's not saying it'll be a surprise if LL has a good season. He's saying it'll be a surprise if he has a monster season.

I'm excited.

and if Golston and Montgomery, especially Montgomery as he did have a higher ceiling, progress well, DT may not become as much of a need. Montgomery is a pretty big guy, someone who could complement Griffin nicely.

Even if Springs is gone this year, I say we have plenty of good CB's. It seems that at one point they were going to start Butler alongside Springs as insurance for Smoot leaving.

DE and Guard will be our most pressing needs going into the next offseason. Also, we may not have a 4th, but having all 3 first day draft picks definitely helps.

I wasn't too happy with the pick, simply because I think we needed to address our defensive line, but I still can't wait to see him on the field for us.

I wasn't ecstatic either but I too understood the decision.

Besides, we have all of our first 3 picks for next year to address our d-line in possibly 2 of the first 3 rounds.

I'm actually excited about the draft again.

Way I see it, our defense was so bad, that there's no way we could've fixed everything in one off-season. It was better to get a premium player like Landry than a project like Okoye.

]"He will be productive in coverage versus the run"[/color]

Seems like an odd way to say he will be strong against the run. Lets hope he is strong in actual coverage, pass coverage too.

That sounds like a Pittman4Twoism :laugh:

Otherwise, I think it may just be a grammatical error. Perhaps they meant to say "He will be productive in coverage, versus the run, and when blitzing." A misplaced comma can completely change the meaning of the sentence. Sorry, it's the teacher in me coming out. :cool:

It was better to get a premium player like Landry than a project like Okoye.

It's too bad the media is all over Okoye's jock...they use his age as an upside. I use it as a downside. The guy is still growing, but what happens if he cracks a growth plate or something? That could effect him for the rest of his life. :2cents:

Im also excited to see Landry put into Coach Williams scheme. I think he will throw him in the box alot either as a blitz decoy or a off the edge blizter. Basically he will use him how he wanted to use AA last year, but never seemed to work.

"He will be productive in coverage versus the run"

Seems like an odd way to say he will be strong against the run. Lets hope he is strong in actual coverage, pass coverage too.

The few reviews I read on him say he is good in pass coverage too. Here is the NFL eval on him. http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/landry_laron

This guy should turn out to be a good one for a number of years with the Skins. They compare him to Dawkins who I have a healthy amount of respect for.

TheFan

Archived