Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The past 2 SB winners best players on defense have been safety's......hmmmm.

kingdaddy

The heart of both the Colts and Steelers defenses, the past two SB winners, have been Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders. These guys are studs. And, both are very good at stopping the run. They are ball hawks.

Picking up Landry really makes me think the Skins are ready to feature Sean Taylor and let him attack the line of scrimmage. Plus, with Landry's speed, GW could blitz Laron or ST at any time. Offenses will have to account for both of these guys and it should help out Andre Carter, Marcus Washington and the entire defense.

It's important to remember that the Colts were terrible at stopping the run for most of the season until Sanders got back in there. Stud safety's can drastically improve an entire defense. Polamalu was a one man wrecking crew for the Steelers during their SB run. I think Landry is a great pick and will re-charge this defense because of the flexibility he's going to provide by his presence.

this is actually a good topic, i dont think many people have considered these actual facts. a lot of people here are crying about us not getting d-line help but this contradicts their thoughts.

Really? I suppose the fact that Pittsburgh drafted Casey Hampton (excellent 2-gap DT) and the Colts also have Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, McFarland.... where are the Redskins excellent DT's?

I suppose that contradicts your thoughts?

The heart of both the Colts and Steelers defenses, the past two SB winners, have been Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders.
If Joey Porter reads this, he's going to hunt you down and beat the **** out of you. And not just because he's got an anger management issue, but because HE, and not Polamalu, was the heart and soul of that defense.

I do agree that without Sanders, they probably won't have made it past the first round.

Picking up Landry really makes me think the Skins are ready to feature Sean Taylor and let him attack the line of scrimmage. Plus, with Landry's speed, GW could blitz Laron or ST at any time. Offenses will have to account for both of these guys...

Exactly...there aren't many teams in the league where the QB will have to account for both safeties as much as us. One more thing for the QB to worry about. Which one is coming and from where and when?

And Marcus could be coming.

Not to mention if Carter plays as well as he did towards the end of last season well we will have pressure coming from every and all possible angles with great speed.

Could be something to watch.

Or we'll get constantly torched again. But it'll definetly be one of the two!

Aston makes a point about the Steelers and Colts DLines, but it's a very obvious point that Sanders left a big hole during the period he was injured.

And if Porter was the best player on the Steelers, why would they let him walk? It had to be for more than just money, wouldn't you think?

No, I think the original thread starters points about good safety play is a very valid issue. Maybe it's over simplifying how the two teams' defenses were successful, but it's still a reasonable point to argue.

Really? I suppose the fact that Pittsburgh drafted Casey Hampton (excellent 2-gap DT) and the Colts also have Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, McFarland.... where are the Redskins excellent DT's?

Great post,

This thread is moronic.

How does it contradict his thoughts?? When Saunders was out they were being run over by teams with the players you mention. Saunders comes back they steam roll though the playoffs. Seems to me your agreeing with what he stated, not contradicting it. (at least with the colts)

But why then did the colts D suck when they had Mathis, McFarland and Freeney but no Sanders? Except for McFarland neither of those lineman stop the run much so it is not much of contradiction actually. The steelers play a 3-4 so that is an entirely different defensive stategy alng with completely different responsibilities for each position vs. the 4-3 so I am not really on board with that. The person who wrote this thread made som good points and some of the people on here are ripping him apart when it is not justified. Many defenses in this league are built around position defense where the safties and LB's are just as important if not more than the DL for stopping the run. People here should really learn more about how the game is played and how OUR defense is played rather than how it is watched b/c this is the NFL not madden. Stats and sacks don't stop the run, entire defenses do :2cents:

Landry will attack the line of scrimmage where Taylor will play a centerfield role as Landry runs with a more direct path to the ball and less wasted motion/is a surer tackler, and Taylor has better instincts and ball skills. I'm sure each will do both, but this should be the primary use of their respective strengths.

Dont the colts have this guy named Peyton Manning, he may have been part of the reason for the colts winning the superbowl.............just maybe

I'm sure he was. Perhaps he was also part of the reason the Colts had always choked in the playoffs since 2002.

Or maybe the real reason the Colts won this year was because they dumped "Idiot Kicker" and replaced him with a clutch player (Vinatieri). Replacing an injured Corey Simon with Anthony McFarland probably didn't hurt either.

As you see, any of this can be argued, but the original point about safeties being the best players on the defense isn't that much of a stretch. And it's certainly not the worst thread I've ever seen around here. Not even close.

Quit making sense DH. You know "thinking it, doesn't make it so" :rolleyes:

I can't believe how delusional some 'skins fans are being in regards to the DL. If (and that's a big IF) the line stays healthy it will make a big difference, otherwise I'm skeptical.

Quit making sense DH. You know "thinking it, doesn't make it so" :rolleyes:

I can't believe how delusional some 'skins fans are being in regards to the DL. If (and that's a big IF0 the line stays healthy it will make a big difference, otherwise I'm skeptical.

I think the DL needs help too, but his point doesn't work in my mind.

Archived