Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The past 2 SB winners best players on defense have been safety's......hmmmm.

kingdaddy

Have I posted here? I'm not sure.

Buut, to give a nice little bit of optimism towards the thread in a way.

What seemed like a huge turning point for the skins season and their play on defense?

PP going down on the kickoff return is the first thing I think of besides the Clinton Portis play during preseason.

What might have caused a huge drop off in defensive production from 05 to 06?

Yes, it could have been injuries, people getting older yada yada but Ryan Clark? I remember being really confused when he first became a starter for the redskins and he was always one of the top two or three in tackles per game in the stat sheet.

To people that continue to somehow put any faith whatsoever in Vernon Fox, I just don't think you were paying enough attention during the final Giants game. Not only did he take terrible angles all game, but he must have missed 6+ chances on tackling Tiki Barber for short yardage. And the snaps which Troy Vincent got were even worse.

Safeties do play an important role in a Gregg Williams defense as do linebackers. What was the complaint about the defense when we were #3 in 04? The dline. 05 at #9? The dline. I'd rather be a top ten defense than see what happened last year when Marshall had little impact on running plays and dbacks couldn't cover or had to play 10+ yards off of the receiver becuase there wasn't any deep safety support.

Now I'm no expert, and I completely understand the mediocre old dline is injury prone and I'm absolutly terrified, but Laron Landry is hopefully going to be a huge upgrade to a journeyman that got cut by the Lions and, yes, was dismal to watch last season and a guy who is coming off major knee surgery. And if the defensive line is able to stay healthy and atleast engage the offensive line, I have absolutley no problem with a cornerback leading the team in sacks again.

Archived