Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The past 2 SB winners best players on defense have been safety's......hmmmm.

kingdaddy

griff was a pro bolwer in 04. he had 16 stuffs for loss and 6 sacks. i guess thats "just as bad" in your opinion.

Actually he did not make the pro bowl that year. He probably should have over Glover though. Pretty sure we still have Griff and I think we have upgraded both the other DT position and one of our ends. And my point about how "bad" it was was sarcastic. In essence, I was sasying that statistically our line may not be great but we can be a very solid D with out DL and strong LB and Safety play. Think like football...read before you react!!!

We have a good Safety in Sean Taylor. That got us 5-11 last year.

Those teams you mentioned all had good all around defenses. The secondary was just a piece to the puzzle.

Please explain how the colts defense (when healthy) is better than our current one..please.

I hate to break your hearts but Landry, as much as I want him to succeed and as happy I am to have him, will have to overcome some things in his NFL transition. I'm not expecting a pro bowl performance this year. I agree with your assessment on the dynamics this addition gives our D. However.....

Humble request:

I'm an optimist too and I don't see an '06 repeat in '07, but lets not mention SB (or paloffs) with respects to our team until week 10, deal? I'm not doggin' you I'm just saying... pre-season hasn't started yet.

Actually he did not make the pro bowl that year. He probably should have over Glover though. Pretty sure we still have Griff and I think we have upgraded both the other DT position and one of our ends. And my point about how "bad" it was was sarcastic. In essence, I was sasying that statistically our line may not be great but we can be a very solid D with out DL and strong LB and Safety play. Think like football...read before you react!!!

i thought he was an alternate. either way, he was sick that year was my point.

but you forget something.

griffin 04 DOES NOT EQUAL griffin 07

i thought he was an alternate. either way, he was sick that year was my point.

but you forget something.

griffin 04 DOES NOT EQUAL griffin 07

As long as he stays healthy, I don't see why he can't play near that level, he is only 30. Plus, he is only 25% of that line and with upgrades at other positions and improved LB play it can easily be overcomed

Dont the colts have this guy named Peyton Manning, he may have been part of the reason for the colts winning the superbowl.............just maybe

Sorry, I am a huge U of Tenn. and Peyton fan but the D was the reason the Colts won the SB. What was Peyton's record in getting to the super bowl before their D came up big? Like 0-8. Again I'm not saying it had nothing to do with Peyton. But, you have to admit the D is what TRULY made the difference! :cheers:

Griffin was an alternate and a major snub for a name.

The difference is 3 years. That is alot in football terms, great players turn into bums and no names can become all pros in 3 years.

Just because a guy was great in 04 doesnt mean they will be great in 07.

That said i hope Griffin returns to form, however i worry more about BIG JOE

He was great in 04 and 05. He really took a dive last year. He is the only 2 gap player on the team (possibly monty too).

Sorry, I am a huge U of Tenn. and Peyton fan but the D was the reason the Colts won the SB. What was Peyton's record in getting to the super bowl before their D came up big? Like 0-8. Again I'm not saying it had nothing to do with Peyton. But, you have to admit the D is what TRULY made the difference! :cheers:
Hahahah, I agree Peyton had problems in big games before, but you dont win the superbowl just by winning 1 game. You win the superbowl by making the playoffs (hmmm Peyton got them there, how good was the D during the season)

Winning playoff games, how good was the D agaisnt the Pats????

And then finally winning the superbowl.

And as far as the origonal post of the thread goes, The colts had 1 great saftey as did the steelers. Yea i agree. But we have one in ST, so what is the point of the thread again?

Big Joe is done, he was not that great really at any poin IMHO, just a stuffer with little shred ability. I know players can go from great to bad in a short period of time in the NFL, but Griff has been consistantly solid for all of his career and great in stretches throughout. Injuries have really slowed him down but I think he can still be very effective especially with some help from Golston

Hahahah, I agree Peyton had problems in big games before, but you dont win the superbowl just by winning 1 game. You win the superbowl by making the playoffs (hmmm Peyton got them there, how good was the D during the season)

Winning playoff games, how good was the D agaisnt the Pats????

And then finally winning the superbowl.

And as far as the origonal post of the thread goes, The colts had 1 great saftey as did the steelers. Yea i agree. But we have one in ST, so what is the point of the thread again?

Oh, I definately agree Peyton got them there but he could only carry the team on his shoulders but so long. Yeah and I also too forgot about the thread? Too much :cheers: ? :cool:

I don't think it's a matter of hating "the pick." It's the failure to address an aging oft injured line.

Count me in that group as well.

The thing about this thread isn't that 2 good safeties make you great,

it's that the best player is a safety.

I'm not sure that wasn't already the case before we drafted Landry.

Count me in that group as well.

The thing about this thread isn't that 2 good safeties make you great,

it's that the best player is a safety.

I'm not sure that wasn't already the case before we drafted Landry.

The point of this thread is that by drafting a stud safety, it'll free up Taylor to be even more of a monster than he already has been. He won't have to worry about covering the other areas as much as he has had to in the past. We'll be able to use Taylor in more ways because of Landry.

I still believe Polamalu was dominant during the Steelers SB run. And the Colts D sucks without Sanders.

Not a single safety has been the SB MVP. I agree that defense has won some SB's but in the case of Pittsburg and Indy, it wasn't only the defense that made plays. I think we're expecting too much from our secondary. When we blitz, the opposing QB lobs easy passes over the blitzer's head to a RB or TE. Last year the opponents were getting 10, 15, and even 20 yards on those simple plays. We NEED a pass rush from the front four so the LB's can do their jobs.

Not a single safety has been the SB MVP. I agree that defense has won some SB's but in the case of Pittsburg and Indy, it wasn't only the defense that made plays. I think we're expecting too much from our secondary. When we blitz, the opposing QB lobs easy passes over the blitzer's head to a RB or TE. Last year the opponents were getting 10, 15, and even 20 yards on those simple plays. We NEED a pass rush from the front four so the LB's can do their jobs.

There's no doubt you are correct about this. But I think the focus has to be on stopping the run before stopping the pass. Remember how loose our corners played last year? It was painful to watch. With Landry and Taylor back there, our secondary is going to make our d line better. I have no doubts about this.

kingdaddy,

Despite the inability and/or unwillingness of many to see this team in any light other than it's defensive line, and apparently feel the need to hijack any and every thread that doesn't deal with that issue, the point remains that the Redskins are in a unique position to do things from the safety position over the coming years.

GW has to be having a ball designing blitz schemes, for instance, where both guys stunt toward the line pre-snap, back off, then one or both time the snap and charge, etc. I can't recall there ever being a safety tandem in the league with the physical potential (speed, power, athleticism) that this pair looks like it's going to bring.

I can pretty much guarantee GW will use that potential to his advantage by showing certain things early in the year to get them on film for the league to see. If they hit of just a couple of big plays early, part of the battle will have won going forward simply by forcing teams to have to prepare for the possibilities.

It won't happen right away, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for some early fireworks.

Can't wait. :)

But why then did the colts D suck when they had Mathis, McFarland and Freeney but no Sanders? Except for McFarland neither of those lineman stop the run much so it is not much of contradiction actually.

Hey bro. It's not like the Colts defense suddenly became elite against the run with Sanders. For the most part teams chose not to run on them in the playoffs and Jones was successful against them in the SB. The Colts have a great offense, the running game isn't that big against them since they score 30 consistently.

kingdaddy,

Despite the inability and/or unwillingness of many to see this team in any light other than it's defensive line, and apparently feel the need to hijack any and every thread that doesn't deal with that issue, the point remains that the Redskins are in a unique position to do things from the safety position over the coming years.

Do you really believe that the Redskins will resign Taylor? Or is Landry his replacement at safety?

Guest RideorDieChic
There's no doubt you are correct about this. But I think the focus has to be on stopping the run before stopping the pass. Remember how loose our corners played last year? It was painful to watch. With Landry and Taylor back there, our secondary is going to make our d line better. I have no doubts about this.

The only way I see that happening is if some how the skills of the players in the secondary is able to be subliminally transmitted to the Dline. But hey, anything is possible :whoknows:

Archived