Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

Are you sure this is wood & not Masonite siding?

The inside wall is ply wood. The outside is clearly some sort of laminate that chips away and at least looks like wood underneath. It isn't any sort of siding I'm used to seeing. It is applied vertically on the surface in strips that are about 1 ft. wide so that the surface is smooth. There's no over lapping or horizontal ridges like with what you see with most sidings.

The inside wall is ply wood. The outside is clearly some sort of laminate that chips away and at least looks like wood underneath. It isn't any sort of siding I'm used to seeing. It is applied vertically on the surface in strips that are about 1 ft. wide so that the surface is smooth. There's no over lapping or horizontal ridges like with what you see with most sidings.

Hmmm...it doesn't sound like Masonite siding since it's installed vertically. But, they do have siding that size, that is smooth (i.e., no lip or wood-like texture to it). I guess someone could (incorrectly) install it vertically without overlapping. Did you Google 'Masonites Siding' and look at the pictures?

If it's something else, this is my cure all for anything wood outside that has rotted: pick/cut out the entire area that is no good. Make sure the area is DRY. If not, wait until it is or use a hair dryer on cold to dry it. Get a can of Bondo (yes, the stuff you use on a car), mix a small batch and apply it. I usually have a couple of disposable plastic putty knives handy to mold it into shape while it dries (which happens very fast). Sand & paint and it's as good as new. A big area requires several applications to the same area.

More than likely fiberboard siding,(generically called "masonite". Installed,usually,in panels but can be installed as described above. You can tell by look closely at the siding and look for the horizontal lines going across the material. My house is covered with the stuff and I am not a fan.

More than likely fiberboard siding,(generically called "masonite". Installed,usually,in panels but can be installed as described above. You can tell by look closely at the siding and look for the horizontal lines going across the material. My house is covered with the stuff and I am not a fan.

Oh, it's pure CRAP. My house was built in '92 with the Masonite brand. Shortly after, there was a class action lawsuit filed & settled. But, as usual with most (all?) class action lawsuits, the amount eligible to the homeowner was next to nothing. Well, not enough to fix the problem. We were lucky. Our house wasn't too bad. I think because I kept good paint on it. Some of my neighbors spent $25-30k to put on vinyl siding. Others are still replacing boards. It's not cheap, either.

Google "Masonite siding lawsuit" and look at the pictures. I hate companies that get away with selling ****ty products to people.

Now, the Hardie-plank siding is good stuff. A bit expensive, but it will hold up to the elements and is rock solid. I replaced a bunch of boards on my garage with the Hardie plank.

So it could certanly be that from looking at the pictures from the law suit.

This is just a shed.

Anybody think I can just pry it off, expose the underlying ply wood, seal it and paint it.

That was always my Dad's answer to out buildings (not pry the siding off, but when he built them just use ply wood for the walls and seal and paint).

Edited by PeterMP

The problem will be the edges of the plywood will suck up water real fast. Especially the edge near the ground.

You could try & just paint it after taking off the siding. Use a bunch of clear paintable caulk along all of the seams to help prevent water from getting in.

The other thing u could do is take of the siding. Then cover the plywood with T1-11 & paint it. Guess it depends on the size & how much money u want to spend.

• 2 months later...

Well along with the garden thing,my fiance' and I have been busy with "remodeling" the landscaping of the front yard. We took out the ugly shrub in front of the garage bay window then dug out and sifted a bunch of the ground in front of that part of the house. Planted all kinds of flowers and plants and added fairly hidden border. I'll be changing over the sprinklers in that area to a drip system soon. I added the stepping stone path and the river rock border to that side driveway,(the river rock is repurposed from the back yard). We removed a bunch of the grass under the trees and added rubber mulch to one with the intent of doing so with the other. Plants and flowers will be added as well as a wrap around bench to the tree on the left.  Added the small corner fence and some flowers there as well. The other part of the front yard is a work in progress. Flowers under the bay window will stay but everything else,(including 3 tomato plants),will go,(the grass as you can tell,is already gone). I've redone the irrigation system all over that area including repairing some small leaks.replacing the automatic drain valves,redirecting a few of them,capping a few others,and then turning the rest of them in to a drip system.

That area in front of the bay window will have a small,winding gravel path with a couple of whiskey barrels with flowers in them in the front and small areas of local plants and such around that path. Along the fence line from the gate to the street will be a 3 foot wide paver pathway,(we're repurposing the pavers from the backyard area. They were put in all kinds of wrong. Going to start over there). The fence itself we painted after I replaced all the nails with coated screws. That fence will have Morning Glorys growing on it and a couple of whiskey barrels will be on the path itself. An arch will go in front of the gate to the back and it will have vines on it as well. :whew:

First pic is of the house just before we moved in.  

post-114727-0-24535800-1375224249_thumb.

post-114727-0-53817500-1375224273_thumb.

post-114727-0-28053000-1375224286_thumb.

post-114727-0-08052200-1375224330_thumb.

Well speaking of crappy driveways,that's one part I forgot. I have one too. Piss poor drainage and bad sprinklers caused pretty good settling on parts of mine. Cracks and so forth. One part I may have to remove,but am going to try a little something different first. Concrete technology,(yes. The two can be said in the same sentence),has come a long way. I've done my share of concrete work before and looking for alternatives to the old jackhammer,form then pour method has been the result. Quickrete makes a product that may help me with the more severe cracking and settling. Make a repair product which they say can bond with just about anything. Going to lay some of that on there then try the Rustoleum repair on it. I tend to rate the driveway materials in this order. Pavers,concrete,then asphalt. Pavers are way expensive,(though making them out of prefab forms could be an interesting option),and asphalt to me,just don't cut it. Concrete it is. Just my two cents. 

Still open to any suggestions from driveway experts, per post #447 above.   :)

(...Less open to suggestions from people who have never actually had to live with a crappy concrete driveway.)

the water based stain would work if you are willing to redo it every couple of years,but if you are wanting black why not just spray it with asphalt sealer?(adhesive first)

the concrete is a much better base

Edited by twa

I bought a lawnmower off craigslist and while I'm still ahead despite the repairs I had to put into it (self-propelled that retails for $250-300+ and paid $60) It's just getting frustrating.

I was cleaning it off with a hose and I suspect I got water in the carb. Now I'm having trouble starting it. 

The good thing is that I'm not the most mechanically inclined but it's proven a good learning environment about how small engines work. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with garage door openers?

On 1 of ours, the opener will only work if you press and hold the button wired in the garage until the door is all the way open.  A quick press and release (which used to work fine) and the door will only go up about a foot, then it stops suddenly.  Pressing and holding the button in the car does not work.  I've unlocked the garage door and manually opened and closed, and it goes smoothly and there aren't any areas where I feel like I'm forcing it.  No obstructions, and the sensors are lined up fine.  Press and release to close the door works fine.

Any suggestions before I bite the bullet and pay someone to come out and try to fix it?

Edited by Bliz

On 1 of ours, the opener will only work if you press and hold the button wired in the garage until the door is all the way open.  A quick press and release (which used to work fine) and the door will only go up about a foot, then it stops suddenly.  Pressing and holding the button in the car does not work.  I've unlocked the garage door and manually opened and closed, and it goes smoothly and there aren't any areas where I feel like I'm forcing it.  No obstructions, and the sensors are lined up fine.  Press and release to close the door works fine.

Any suggestions before I bite the bullet and pay someone to come out and try to fix it?

Hmm, thats weird...quick google search seems to think its the sensors...but also it seems like most people have the problem when trying to close the door not open it. 

It may be an issue with one of the folding panels being bent for some reason or one of the bars connecting the panels.  I had this happen when I accidently pulled out of the garage with my tailgate open.  I bent one of the panels so it wouldn't go down all the way.   I just hammered it out (gently) with rubber mallet.  It worked, just my garage door makes some loud noises when it's closing.

It may be an issue with one of the folding panels being bent for some reason or one of the bars connecting the panels.  I had this happen when I accidently pulled out of the garage with my tailgate open.  I bent one of the panels so it wouldn't go down all the way.   I just hammered it out (gently) with rubber mallet.  It worked, just my garage door makes some loud noises when it's closing.

Interesting.  There is a small dent on the top panel, from when someone with lumber or something sticking out of the back of a pickup truck backed too far into my driveway.  But that happened a few years ago and this is a recent problem.  Still, possible it could have gotten a little worse.  Did that bend prevents yours from working manually?  I can open mine manually without any problem. 

Hmm, thats weird...quick google search seems to think its the sensors...but also it seems like most people have the problem when trying to close the door not open it. 

Yeah, I saw that too.  It is weird.

I'm going to try taking a closer look at the sensors tonight just to make sure that they're clean and that there aren't any loose wires.  I don't think that's the source of my problem though.  I should probably just unplug it and plug it back in.  The classic fix...

Edited by Bliz

Well it worked.  Didn't find any loose wires and the sensors were plenty clean.  I unplugged it (apparently these problems are sometimes electrical and fixed with a reset), increased the force with which it opens the door, plugged it back in and it worked fine.

Unplugging and plugging back in is the duct tape of the 21st century.  Fixes just about anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to get some feedback from Asphalt Experts.  I had my driveway sealed yesterday by the same company who paved my driveway years prior.  I would of needed almost $200 in just sealer alone because my driveway is very large and they did for $300.  My question is they finished at around 1:00PM yesterday and we had some light rain at about 9:30PM last night for about 15 minutes.  I went out and slid my finger on the driveway at about 10:30PM and no black residue was anywhere on my finger.  Do you think it's okay?  It doesn't look out of the ordinary or anything but driveway is a tad wet this morning still (rain wise, not asphalt wise).  Do you think it's okay?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Our old thermostat didn't seem to be working properly anymore so I popped over to Lowe's and bought a new one. Installation went smoothly and the airconditioner and furnace fired right up when I was done. Now, the system doesn't seem to be responding to changing the temperature, the fan won't even come on. 

The only question mark I had during install was that I had a Tan wire and the new thermostat didn't have a slot for Tan but had one for Orange. But it worked after I fired it back up, so I didn't give it much thought.

What's the best way to trouble shoot this type of problem?

thanks

Our old thermostat didn't seem to be working properly anymore so I popped over to Lowe's and bought a new one. Installation went smoothly and the airconditioner and furnace fired right up when I was done. Now, the system doesn't seem to be responding to changing the temperature, the fan won't even come on. 

The only question mark I had during install was that I had a Tan wire and the new thermostat didn't have a slot for Tan but had one for Orange. But it worked after I fired it back up, so I didn't give it much thought.

What's the best way to trouble shoot this type of problem?

thanks

I would go back to Lowe's and talk to someone in that department. If that doesn't work, try going to Home Depot. I've been surprised by the knowledge of some of the people at both places (usually Lowe's).

Check the circuit breakers, you may have tripped it when you disconnected or installed the new thermostat. Re-read the install instructions. You might have missed a step or connection. See if the new thermostat has a help line to call. If it's one of the name brand thermostats, it probably has an 800 number to call.

If none of that works, I'd take the unit back to Lowe's and exchange it. The thermostat could be bad.

Edited by GoSkins0721
  • Like 1

If the thermostat is a digital one (as most new ones are), trying Googling it. An awful lot of digital devices have troubleshooting codes built into them and you might be able to find some advice out there in the void to help you out.

I had to bring a guy in to check out the thermostat. I did everything correctly BUT whoever wired the house set BLUE as the AC wire when it was supposed to be Stage 2 Heat. So when it got warm here last week and the AC kicked on, it was shorting the connection. Yep, would not have figured that out on my own. 

I called the hotline and scoured online sources, but short of them knowing that BLUE was wired incorrectly, it wouldn't have helped.

I am new homeowner and very much a DIY newbie.

Today I replaced a broken electrical box in the wall holding up a light fixture above the bathroom vanity. Wasn't so bad - first time ever attempting anything elctrical. Took me an hour or so.

I know that is pretty basic - but I was proud of myself :)

Now that I got my feet wet, next weekend I am going to replace one of my porch lights with an outdoor ceiling fan.

Edited by Duckus

Electrical stuff scares me. I need a course in it to make sure I can't do any major damage (to myself or the house). 

Today I replaced a broken electrical box in the wall holding up a light fixture above the bathroom vanity. Wasn't so bad - first time ever attempting anything elctrical. Took me an hour or so.

Now that I got my feet wet, next weekend I am going to replace one of my porch lights with an outdoor ceiling fan.

But don't you just love being a new homeowner? I'm getting my feet wet (pun intended) in electrical work, repairing small engines, landscaping, pest management...

That's how we all get hooked and end up with a kings ransom in tools.

Just be sure you have something secure enough to hold a ceiling fan, more weight and vibration, a plain old light box won't hold it (for long).

That's how we all get hooked and end up with a kings ransom in tools.

Just be sure you have something secure enough to hold a ceiling fan, more weight and vibration, a plain old light box won't hold it (for long).

Yeah, I want to tackle most home improvement things but sometimes, the cost of getting the right tools for the job and doing it myself vs hiring a pro—the cost is a wash. 

I told my wife that it might cost more for me to do it, but just chalk that up as the cost of my education.