Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Redskins draft Analysis

skinsfan07

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analyzer/WAS

Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt broke down our draft and did a pretty good job. They seemed to like our picks for the most part.

Personally, I liked this draft alot, and thought we did a very good job at filling holes. Other than not getting TE Ben Patrick from Delaware, I think this was one of our best drafts in a while. Even though we didn't get a d-linemen, I don't think it's that bad.

Keep in mind that this was the same D from the 05 seasonthat finished top 10 in total Defense and top 5 in rush defense. With everyone healthy and having bolstered our weak secondary, I think we are going to be back to a top 10 defense. Especially with Golston and Montgomery getting more PT b/c of the rest of our d-line aging.

thoughts?

i completley disagree, picking up 2 LBs was a bad move. we could have gotten a quality DE in the 5th and then picked up Blades in the 6th. Also taking Jordan Palmer over Ben Patrick was a horrible mistake.

Yeah we could have gotten Palmer in the 7th.

I wanted our final 2 picks to be........TE Ben Patrick in the 6th andDT Walter Thomas as the final pick in the 7th. What can ya do though?

i completley disagree, picking up 2 LBs was a bad move. we could have gotten a quality DE in the 5th and then picked up Blades in the 6th. Also taking Jordan Palmer over Ben Patrick was a horrible mistake.

Dude have you looked at our roster lately

Guys who have played with us before:

Marcus Washington

Lemar Marshal

Rocky McIntosh

Kary Campbell

We added

London Fletcher-Baker

The only other LBs on our roster are

Anthony Trucks (1 year out of Oregon)

And that is it.

We had 6 guys on the roster. We just added two, so if the both make it that would put us at 8

We have more DT's on our roster then Linebackers.... and Behind Rocky and Marshall, we aren't sure if Campbell is going to be healthy enough to make the team so yeah we needed LB even worse then i thought.

A quality DE? How would you know, are you a scout? These 2 linebackers may turn out to be great for us.

Passing Ben Patrick a mistake? I doubt you will hear his name more than once over the next 5 years.

Dude have you looked at our roster lately

Guys who have played with us before:

Marcus Washington

Lemar Marshal

Rocky McIntosh

Kary Campbell

We added

London Fletcher-Baker

The only other LBs on our roster are

Anthony Trucks (1 year out of Oregon)

And that is it.

We had 6 guys on the roster. We just added two, so if the both make it that would put us at 8

We have more DT's on our roster then Linebackers.... and Behind Rocky and Marshall, we aren't sure if Campbell is going to be healthy enough to make the team so yeah we needed LB even worse then i thought.

Dont use logic on them dude. They refuse to listen.

I sure am glad they dont run our team. We would be sucking halfway down the season if 1 of our linebackers got injured.

Linebacker was a very thin spot for us last year in terms of talent and depth.

We improve on that vital weakness and people *****. :doh:

Drafting has become too political. Everyone has their own pork-barrel projects they want to see. Fans base their decisions on opinion and emotion.

The NFL guys who make the actual picks, base them on needs and measurable facts. They also have 1000 times the info on each prospect, including hiring private detectives to sniff out character defects.

I think I'll back the pro guys.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analyzer/WAS

Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt broke down our draft and did a pretty good job. They seemed to like our picks for the most part.

Personally, I liked this draft alot, and thought we did a very good job at filling holes. Other than not getting TE Ben Patrick from Delaware, I think this was one of our best drafts in a while. Even though we didn't get a d-linemen, I don't think it's that bad.

Keep in mind that this was the same D from the 05 seasonthat finished top 10 in total Defense and top 5 in rush defense. With everyone healthy and having bolstered our weak secondary, I think we are going to be back to a top 10 defense. Especially with Golston and Montgomery getting more PT b/c of the rest of our d-line aging.

thoughts?

I dont get you man. I am trying to, but I dont. You were spewing out all kinds of negativity when we picked Sartz, and how he was GARBAGE and didn't need a LB at all. Now you are saying you loved the picks and we did a great job. You should choose a side and stick with it.

No complaints about our selection.

I wanted our first to be "Branch and a 2nd rounder". But I assume we didn't get any offers. (Or, somebody offered us, say, the #25 pick, but we didn't want to drop that far.) So we went "BPA" which isn't a bad choice.

Am I wrong, or is the only deal we made this draft was to pick up another 6th?

The LB picks weren't glamorous, but what 6th round pick is? (Maybe the kicker? Or the Heisman? Still, no complaints.)

I disagree with you totally. Depth at LB was way more important than depth at DE. You can see that just looking at the roster. What we need at DE is a starter, and we werent getting that in the 5th round. And I personally like Jordan Palmer a lot. Ben Patrick is a nice player, but obviously was not very high on our front offices board. Big whoop, I'm not going crazy over a 7th round TE, that's silly. The TE we did get seems to have some pretty good potential, and is a betetr blocker than Patrick.

When in hell did our need to draft D-line turn into a need to draft depth at LB. We have linebackers, we don't need 2 more! TE? i guess chris cooley sucks right. And why waste a pick on a qb when Jason hasn't even had a chance yet. And Landry? we should have taken anderson or carriker. Landry is a stud dont get me wrong but come on. Terrible draft IMO

When in hell did our need to draft D-line turn into a need to draft depth at LB. We have linebackers, we don't need 2 more!

No, we realistically had no depth at LB.

No one seems certain with Marcus' health right now. The only real depth we have is on Rocky's side with him & Lemar. Who backs up Fletcher? Fletcher maybe has a couple good years left, but that's it. Would you be happy with Lemar Marshall in the middle again? Marcus doesn't have an infinite timetable, either.

When in hell did our need to draft D-line turn into a need to draft depth at LB. We have linebackers, we don't need 2 more! TE? i guess chris cooley sucks right. And why waste a pick on a qb when Jason hasn't even had a chance yet. And Landry? we should have taken anderson or carriker. Landry is a stud dont get me wrong but come on. Terrible draft IMO

Well its always good to have a second option at TE and now that fuiria is gone we were left with Yoder. And i think all hes good for pretty much is his last name sounds funny. And we dont have depth at linebacker. See "veretax's" post about that one.

Depth. and HB Blades is gonna be a stud. As is Landry. We are set. we had a top 10 defense and top 5 rush D a couple years ago with the exact same people healthy. And now we have Golston, and Montgomery to rotate to make sure that every one stays healthy. We didn't need that much help along the d-line.

I think the orignal post is right about the defense being the same one that was tops in league ranking lists 2 years ago if healthy. The problem is that is only IF we can stay healthy. With most of the starters being over 30 and aging as we speak, that is a grave concern for me. Especially for guys like Springs whom over the coarse of his career has gained a rep for being injury prone.

I think the Redskins were not at all looking at need for the draft one iota. I believe they were just sticking to their board and picking the best player available according to the grades they gave them. And that's not so bad. It's the same way Ozzie Newsome built a Superbowl champion with the Ravens.

I would still feel alot better if they had upgraded they're defensive line or depth on the offensive line though. Especially how I know that nothing else gets done in the backfield/back 7 during a play if your guys in the trenches can't do their jobs.

There is a lot I disagree with. While we can use help on the D-line, we are paper thin at LB. Did you see how bad our defense was without Washington? Not to mention that the LB core has the same age problem that the DL has, in fact, more so.

And yes, we did need a TE, since we only have two right now.

We could use a young guy to develop as Jason's backup, since none of the current backups are going to last much longer.

Jason

I put trust in the coaching staff alot more than I do the so called coaches on this sight. Gibbs, Williams and this staff arent' idiots. If they truly thought line was a huge weakness, they would have gone after some linemen. I really think they are super high on Golston and Montgomery, for those of you who blast these guys, there were rookies last year, lets just wait and see. I think for what the Skins have, this draft was fantastic. We have great lb depth now, and we drafted guys that played well in school, not workout wonders. As far as the young QB, smart move, does anyone remember Rypien holding the clipboard in 87? Did anyone know who Jay Schroeder was before he came in that Monday night. They drafted bloodline, and the worst thing that happens is a 6th round pick doesn't make our team. :2cents:

Yes because we drafted a TE in the seventh round to take Cooley's starting spot this season, and the same goes for Palmer.....look out JC! :rolleyes:

Archived