Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With the 1st pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select......

Jeremiah_Johnson

I can't get enough of redskins fans telling us we need this, we need that. Fact is, we could've went any way in the draft we wanted too.

I love how Poke fans posted what their draft needs were before Saturday, and all the experts... none had another DE/OLB listed

nor was Spencers name even mentioned as being on the Pokes radar..

do a search in the archives.....

but NOW it was a HUGE need, and Spencer was the logical choice :laugh:

take the homer specs off for a second okay

if you have even a shred of credibilty in you you will admitt that you thought the Pokes were going after Meecham

or Staley, or Weedle, or Grubb, or Houston

Spencer was not even a thought, and save the we are so loaded we could choose any body or position we wanted lie

I can't get enough of redskins fans telling us we need this, we need that. Fact is, we could've went any way in the draft we wanted too. We went OLB because we wanted more pressure. Pressure wins games in the NFL.

You can have 2 Deion Sanders and 2 Ronnie Lotts back there, but if the qb has all day to throw, it just doesn't matter. Someone will get open because NFL qb's know what to do if nobody is forcing them to make a decision.

You will find all this out in Sept when you realize you STILL don't have any rushers, and with Jammal Anderson there, you take a safety???????? Ridiculous. Spin it anyway you want, its flat out RIDICULOUS.

And yet you're here doing the same thing. That makes you a hypocrit. At least this is a Redskins message board, a place where Skins fans should be.

If you had clue one as to how our defense works, or any skill at evaluating talent you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Skins offseason moves.

Very valid points but look closely at what made SD such a nasty defense. Pressure, pressure, pressure. Most can't even name 3 starters in their secondary but most know Merriman and Phillips. Heck, the casual fan doesn't even know Phillips but he had double digit sacks and was a key cog for Wade's 3-4. The fact that we didn't have much of a rush outside of Ware from the edges of our 3-4 especially with Ellis going down was a TREMENDOUS issue for us and caused a strain on our secondary. The key point about Meachem is your talking about relief for NEXT YEAR. That's exactly my point. He wasn't a need NOW and we have two first rounders next year. Truth be told, I really really like Sam Hurd. A young WR already on our roster. We'll only know as the season plays off.

I'm on record as thinking Spencer was a good pick for dallas. The one caveat is that the kid has yet to play a single down at the OLB position. Let's not annoint him the next Merriman, much less the next Phillips yet. Could he be? Absolutely Will he be? Only time will tell.

I think dallas fans are taking alot of heat beacause so many are coming in here and beating their chest at the supposedly great draft they just had while poo-pooing the Skins. In reality only time will tell. Me, I like what the Skins did. I think they'll be just fine.

You will never hear an argument from me regarding the importance of pressure on the QB. You emphasized the guys with the double digit sacks too much though. You must pay attention to the surrounding players. The player most important on the SD defense may very well be the big guy in the middle, Jamal Williams. Also, at CB they have two first rounders with Jammer and Cromartie and a second in Florence. These guys cover well, giving time to the pass rushers to get to the QB. They also tackle very well. Meriweather may be able to cover and hit better than some of these guys and he is a safety!

At WR a guy like Meachem should have never fallen as far as he did. He would have begun taking receptions away from the other Cowboy WR's. He will be a star in the league, just won't be wearing a star!;)

I thought we may have selected Paul Saliai but I think BP's consistent construction of our D the last two years will pay off. I think we have good parts which allowed us to focus on other areas. Picking up Hamlin maybe our biggest addition and you seem to be forgetting we acquired him. I can't deny I think Meachum will be great especially in N.O. however I can't help but think e would have been a wasted pick in Dallas this year.

I love how Poke fans posted what their draft needs were before Saturday, and all the experts... none had another DE/OLB listed

if you have even a shred of credibilty in you you will admitt that you thought the Pokes were going after Meecham

Spencer was not even a thought, and save the we are so loaded we could choose any body or position we wanted lie

Bubba seriously, Spencers name was all over COWBOY message boards. :rolleyes:

I'm on record as thinking Spencer was a good pick for dallas. The one caveat is that the kid has yet to play a single down at the OLB position. Let's not annoint him the next Merriman, much less the next Phillips yet. Could he be? Absolutely Will he be? Only time will tell.

I agree but I agree but I think he could be just as good if not better than any pass rusher in the draft. Ware never played LB either and his primary responsibility will be making plays behind the line of scrimmage.

I thought we may have selected Paul Saliai but I think BP's consistent construction of our D the last two years will pay off. I think we have good parts which allowed us to focus on other areas.
Which is why I was surprised with the Spencer pick. BP has set up the Cowboys nicely, especially if players like Spears can play to potential. BTW, I thought Canty was the steal of the 2005 draft and beleive he has more to show.
Picking up Hamlin maybe our biggest addition and you seem to be forgetting we acquired him. .
I remember, but he isn't a force in coverage.
I can't deny I think Meachum will be great especially in N.O. however I can't help but think e would have been a wasted pick in Dallas this year.
Wasted pick? I am having a hard time with that one. He would have been able to contribute quickly no matter where he was drafted. Heck, maybe Dallas would have been able to cut TO if they drafted Meachem. That would have improved them with addition by subtraction with TO gone!

Bubba seriously, Spencers name was all over COWBOY message boards. :rolleyes:

Really? Because I couldnt find a single pre-draft quote that said his name. Almost all of the dallas fan regulars around here were talking about DB, OL, and WR as the players they wanted most, with front 7 as an after thought.

Wasted pick? I am having a hard time with that one. He would have been able to contribute quickly no matter where he was drafted. Heck, maybe Dallas would have been able to cut TO if they drafted Meachem. That would have improved them with addition by subtraction with TO gone!

I don't know if Meachum is that talented to trump T.O. outright even considering the attititude and everything else T.O. brings. I think Meachum will flourish in N.O. with all the weapons they have. Once again, I really like Meachum. He was the "sexier" pick but I think we addressed an important area at the same time. Can't hav'em all.

Really? Because I couldnt find a single pre-draft quote that said his name. Almost all of the dallas fan regulars around here were talking about DB, OL, and WR as the players they wanted most, with front 7 as an after thought.

I'll admit alot of Cowboy fans were thinking defensive back and WR but I think the our pick makes sense. You might laugh at this but I really don't think we had too many glaring holes entering into the draft. Besides, my statement was that other Cowboys boards (as in not ES) had heavy talk of Spencer.

I'll admit alot of Cowboy fans were thinking defensive back and WR but I think the our pick makes sense. You might laugh at this but I really don't think we had too many glaring holes entering into the draft. Besides, my statement was that other Cowboys boards (as in not ES) had heavy talk of Spencer.

You keep on contradicting yourself buddy . . . You say that he was on all the boards, yet here claim that many fans were hoping for a DB or WR. And I dunno about cowboy boards, but I can tell you that the people whose job it is to discuss the draft had you guys drafting a WR or DB . . . I think OLB was an afterthought at best.

I can't get enough of redskins fans telling us we need this, we need that. Fact is, we could've went any way in the draft we wanted too. We went OLB because we wanted more pressure. Pressure wins games in the NFL.

You can have 2 Deion Sanders and 2 Ronnie Lotts back there, but if the qb has all day to throw, it just doesn't matter. Someone will get open because NFL qb's know what to do if nobody is forcing them to make a decision.

You will find all this out in Sept when you realize you STILL don't have any rushers, and with Jammal Anderson there, you take a safety???????? Ridiculous. Spin it anyway you want, its flat out RIDICULOUS.

Ok . . . to claim that you are so stacked at every position is a bit much . . . if you were so stacked, you would've had a better fg holder to beat Seattle . . . :D Didn't you JUST draft Carpenter, who hello, plays outside as well? Come on now, put away the homer glasses and realize that in the grand scheme of things, Spencer was an unnecessary pick.

Jason Campbell is not. :(

I can assure you that Mike Sellers, Jon Jansen, and Randy Thomas are all very happy . . .

Can't hav'em all.
That is why I didn't mention Joe Staley in the 1st for Dallas. They made a good attempt at covering OT in the 2nd and 4th. I see Free in the 4th round as a value pick.

Prior to the draft my gut was Dallas would take one of the Texas DB's Ross or Griffin, or grab Meriweather. If either of the Texas kids were available, do you think they might have pulled the trigger or were they sold on Spencer?

Bubba seriously, Spencers name was all over COWBOY message boards

sure it was

5 minutes after the pick :laugh:

again do a search on this board..... find a quote for me BEFORE the draft from any poke fan (since that was what I said...)

or show me where OLB was listed as a top 3 area of need

all I ever read was how the Pokes front 7 was set, and the most talented in the NFC East, NFC, NFL stuff :rolleyes:

here was Scouts Inc Top 5 needs for the pokes

Dallas Cowboys

1. Corner: Anthony Henry has lost a step with age, and his inability to hold his own on an island limits the Cowboys defensively. Since Aaron Glenn and Jacques Reeves are strictly subpackage players, Dallas would be wise to draft a corner capable of competing for the starting role opposite Terence Newman.

2. Wide Receiver: Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn form a dangerous starting duo and Patrick Crayton is an above-average No. 3, but both Owens and Glenn will be 33 at the start of the season. It doesn't help that Owens dropped several passes last year and Crayton doesn't have a great deal of upside.

3. Safety: The Cowboys did well to sign Ken Hamlin, but there are concerns about his ability to stay healthy. After all, he fractured his skull during an off-the-field incident in 2005. Hamlin doesn't have elite cover skills either and Pat Watkins lost his starting job last year because he had problems staying healthy. SS Roy Williams is at his best playing close to the line of scrimmage, so adding a safety who has the range to play a center fielder-type role and improve depth makes sense.

4. Offensive tackle: Dallas re-signed ROT Marc Colombo, and versatile free agent acquisition Jim Molinaro can back up both sides. However, Flozell Adams, who turns 32 in the offseason, is on the downside of his career and free-agent addition Leonard Davis is expected to play guard. If Davis ends up playing tackle, then guard will become the greater need.

5. Defensive end: Marcus Spears and Chris Canty are good fits for the 3-4 scheme, but they are better run defenders than pass rushers and there isn't great depth behind them. With that in mind, Dallas should draft a defensive end big enough to hold his own in this scheme and athletic enough to get to the quarterback.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/news/story?id=2847485

sure it was

5 minutes after the pick :laugh:

again do a search on this board..... find a quote for me BEFORE the draft from any poke fan (since that was what I said...)

So are you saying the Cowboys had the worst draft in the NFCE? Knowledgeable Cowboy fans everywhere realized our problems with Ellis going down. My point is that on real Cowboy forums Spencers name was tossed around frequently.

And this Redskins board had heavy talk of every player in the top 32, of course with hundreds of fans someone is bound to mention his name, so really, what's your point?

It seems to me it's gone from, "we had Spencer on our radar from day one" to "well, not really, but hey we like the pick in hindsight".

I was going to make a few posts in this thread, but after reading all this garbage I figured it was a waste of time. I thought the Giants fans on their board were stuipd, bit this tr1 guy takes the cake. That guy knows absolutely nothing about Dallas' roster, yet all he does is run his mouth about our needs. He's about as bright as a two watt light bulb.

I was going to make a few posts in this thread, but after reading all this garbage I figured it was a waste of time. I thought the Giants fans on their board were stuipd, bit this tr1 guy takes the cake. That guy knows absolutely nothing about Dallas' roster, yet all he does is run his mouth about our needs. He's about as bright as a two watt light bulb.

Welcome to the board!

Now go away if you dont like it.

:dallasuck

I don't know you, but I think I like you...

Have a nice day.

oh the irony

poke fans, gotta love 'em... for nothing else

comedy relief

And this Redskins board had heavy talk of every player in the top 32, of course with hundreds of fans someone is bound to mention his name, so really, what's your point?

It seems to me it's gone from, "we had Spencer on our radar from day one" to "well, not really, but hey we like the pick in hindsight".

Not to mention when the Cowboys selected Spencer - there were a lot of groans and quizzical looks on Cowboys fans faces at Radio City Music Hall...but I guess the star on the side of the helmet makes the player instantly better doesn't it?

or show me where OLB was listed as a top 3 area of need

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3723023#post3723023

Post #4

I predicted Jarvis Moss. A DE/OLB I figured Spencer would be taken by Denver. They took Moss instead.

In fact, I wanted so much D line help, I wanted them to take a DT in the second too.

So there you have it. Now pipe down about it.

Cowboys fans all over cowboys forums were saying Spencer should be the pick, there were also WR and CB people no fan base ever agrees on one player. But to pretend it wasnt a need and no cowboys fan wanted him is just making you look silly. Hell my mock draft on cowboyszone had Spencer going to Dallas at 22 and I stated on this boartd before the draft he would be a good pick after tr1 said he would be a mistake

Archived