Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Simple reason why the Skins will do well this year

congo4269

Because I don't have high expectations for them. After years of careful scientific research, I've come to the conclusion that the success of the Skins in any given year is inversely proportional to the expectations in the off-season. Put simply, the more fired up I am around draft day, the worse we will do.

Take last year for instance: the media was actually giving us some credit, some even listing us as a serious superbowl contender, and this board was chalk-full of posts going into detail about how we would win at least 16 games. We all know how that panned out.

2005: Lot of people doubting Gibbs' second tenure, our draft choices (far as I can remember, only person excited about us passing on Mike Williams was Darnerien McCants), our incredibly stupid trade for an undersized Santana Moss, and the media had us at the bottom of the pack. I for one didn't expect much from us, let alone a playoff run.

I could go on, but I don't want to waste your valuable reading time, and I should probably get back to work. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

-Professor Mike

Wait, so does this just depend on how you feel or eveyone else too? Because if this board is any indication, there are a lot of people that are pretty optimistic about this season, and a lot that aren't. I guess we will go 8-8 then. Now if it's according to the media we should win the Super Bowl, because in most of their eyes we don't stand a chance. By your theory at least.

Its true. The more we fans start running our mouths, the faster the oven gets hot for all the crow recipes we inevitably feast on.

I'll keep my mouth shut, try to be optimistic about the upcoming season, bleed through the eyes on Sundays in September, and hopefully watch my team play in January.

In the offseason, ALL speculation has some sort of merit.

Go Skins, quit breaking my heart.

Jason Campbell will be the difference. Watch what I tell you. If he stays healthy, the Skins are going to definetly be in the playoffs. Along with a much improved defense. Especially if NE trades us their two first round draft pix, and we use both of those picks on the DL.

Yes. Let us start two untested rookies right next to each other in a complicated, new defensive scheme. Then we'll DEFINITELY be in the playoffs.

You all make me so mad because you always forget that a year before, our defense was top ten, and a year before, top five. Our DL was banged up all year last year. The same exact DL (except Andre Carter, a noted improvement) as our top 5 and top 10 defenses. Last year was the EXCEPTION, not the RULE.

This is a clear case where the Redskins need to be looking for instant impact, and trading down isn't going to give us instant impact. I'm not rebuilding for when Cowher gets here, I want to win under Gibbs!

If one desires to see a Redskin D-line gloriously dominate and destroy, watch the 87/88 superbowl. Denver's o-line was "Man" handled courtesy of Charles Mann and Dexter Manley. Grant, Butz and Hamilton had their way with the much heralded denver O-line. They were forced to blantently hold....or these guys would have ripped Elway's head off.

No team last year was forced to make adjustments due to our pass Pressure...the rush was inconsistant at best. Tiki Torched through alot of teams' defensive lines....Travis Henry of the titans did not....but he sure embarassed us in our house...That was the game that spoke volumes about our line to me.

They need help...I hope Joe gets them some.

sorry wrong thread...my bad...tabs suck

All you homers are in denial ... the Skins are a bottom feeder in the NFL ... they have some talent ... but also alot of holes and lousy coaching (especially Gibbs) ... they rank with the other proverbials ... the Cards and the Lions ... 2005 was a fluke and gave everyone a boner. They need a new aggresisve coach and philosophy ... a great QB and fabulous receivers ... to set up the occassional run ... not the other way ... only then will they become competitive.

All you homers are in denial ... the Skins are a bottom feeder in the NFL ... they have some talent ... but also alot of holes and lousy coaching (especially Gibbs) ... they rank with the other proverbials ... the Cards and the Lions ... 2005 was a fluke and gave everyone a boner. They need a new aggresisve coach and philosophy ... a great QB and fabulous receivers ... to set up the occassional run ... not the other way ... only then will they become competitive.
:rolleyes: :doh: :shhh: :insane: , whatever dude go root for another team then.

Saying Gibbs is a lousy coach is punishable by death. :jk: But serious, I have you considered switching to another team. San Francisco maybe? :thumbsup:

So apparently for the Redskins to become successful, they need to re-write the book on how teams have been winning the majority of Super Bowls since the beginning of time.

I'm confused.

i think that we will be better this year than everyone is giving us credit for. if u think about it our team isnt that much different from our 10-6 2005 team. we had such a horrible year partially because of injuries. out of 16 games last year there was only 1 or 2 games that all of our starters played together. players were in and out we couldnt gel together as a solid defense because their were never the same players in. portis missed almost half the year and mark brunell was a bust this year screwing up our QB situation. hopefully this year we will be mostly injury free and we will fix the little problems we had here and there and be atleast as successful as we were in 2005

Boy! I sure hope that draft analyses on the state of our DL is right because if it isn't, and I don't think it is (saying that we'll draft Okoye), then we'll go with some skill position instead of our true need which is DL. And Fletcher will be caught in the wash and loss in the spin cycle. If we don't fix the DL we won't win more than 6 games. BTW, we also have issues on the OL so at minimum we must fix the DL. Yes we do have issues on the OL. Look at our red zone efficiency. Hell, we can't even run the Cover2 with our current DL. As a matter of fact, explain to me what can we do with our current DL? Despite the fact that our DL is in disarray, I think we will draft a skill position. I think we'll take Landry if he's available because he can alo play corner his versatility also gives us nickel power. I base my opinion on Cerrato's philosophy. We'll draft a skill position unless Cerrato is bluffing.

Because I don't have high expectations for them. After years of careful scientific research, I've come to the conclusion that the success of the Skins in any given year is inversely proportional to the expectations in the off-season. Put simply, the more fired up I am around draft day, the worse we will do.

Take last year for instance: the media was actually giving us some credit, some even listing us as a serious superbowl contender, and this board was chalk-full of posts going into detail about how we would win at least 16 games. We all know how that panned out.

2005: Lot of people doubting Gibbs' second tenure, our draft choices (far as I can remember, only person excited about us passing on Mike Williams was Darnerien McCants), our incredibly stupid trade for an undersized Santana Moss, and the media had us at the bottom of the pack. I for one didn't expect much from us, let alone a playoff run.

I could go on, but I don't want to waste your valuable reading time, and I should probably get back to work. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

-Professor Mike

Isn't the very fact that you made this thread, an indication that you DO have high expectations?

Isn't the very fact that you made this thread, an indication that you DO have high expectations?

I have no expectations, which when subjected to the inverse-relationship hypothesis means ipso facto that I indeed subconsciously have high expections, even though I really have no expectations... which when combined with my high expectations evens out to medium expectations... carry the 2... ok I lost myself.

Go Skins! I mean Skins suck...

This year is going to be an adventure to say the least.We have alot of ? to be played out on the field and I cant wait to get it started.I think we will surprise some of these critics that never pass up a cheap shot at our expense to explain why we cant never get to the SB or even the playoffs.

Archived