Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vet files claim after wrong testicle removed

rumpshakers

I'm speechless, damn people dont know left from right

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/05/botched.surgery.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- An Air Force veteran has filed a federal claim after an operation at a Veterans Administration hospital in which a healthy testicle was removed instead of a potentially cancerous one.

Benjamin Houghton, 47, was to have had his left testicle removed June 14 at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center because there was a chance it could harbor cancer cells. It also was atrophied and painful.

But doctors mistakenly removed the right testicle, according to medical records and the claim, which seeks $200,000 for future care and unspecified damages. He still hasn't had the other testicle removed.

"At first I thought it was a joke," Houghton told the Los Angeles Times. "Then I was shocked. I told them, 'What do I do now?"'

Houghton, his wife, Monica, and their attorney, Dr. Susan Friery, said they hoped to get the VA's attention by going public with the situation.

Dr. Dean Norman, chief of staff for the Greater Los Angeles VA system, has formally apologized to Houghton and his wife.

"We are making every attempt that we can to care for Mr. Houghton, but it's in litigation, and that's all we can tell you," he said. The hospital changed practices as a result of the case, he added.

I'm speechless, damn people dont know left from right

This doesn't surprise me. About 18 years ago I went to Georgetown Univeristy hospital to have a right tympanomastoidectomy. While they were setting up in the operating room they put the arm support for the i.v. on my right side (which would block access to my right ear). A nurse came in and told the person setting it up that it was on the wrong side. Fortunately someone was paying attention and they moved it to the other side.

We were talking about this yesterday at work. If I ever have to get a limb amputated, I'm taking a sharpie and writing on the other limb "THIS IS THE GOOD LEG!"

(Imagining a doctor seeing that and saying "So, we're good to operate on this one?") :)

This reminds me when I had my hernia operated. The surgeon asked me about 20 times which side it was on before the pre-op chat and this after he physically examined me...I thought he was a moron, but in fact those are the good surgeons. They don't leave any room for error. Then in the pre-op he marked it with two black arrows with a permanent marker which side it was on. Is that so hard? Marking it with an arrow? :rolleyes:

This reminds me when I had my hernia operated. The surgeon asked me about 20 times which side it was on before the pre-op chat and this after he physically examined me...I thought he was a moron, but in fact those are the good surgeons. They don't leave any room for error. Then in the pre-op he marked it with two black arrows with a permanent marker which side it was on. Is that so hard? Marking it with an arrow? :rolleyes:

funny you mention that.

When had shoulder surgery, I wondered how they made sure. Then the nurse came in, asked which shoulder. She marked it with a pen. then the Dr. came in, acted like he didn't see the mark, asked the same question and marked it again.

We were talking about this yesterday at work. If I ever have to get a limb amputated, I'm taking a sharpie and writing on the other limb "THIS IS THE GOOD LEG!"

Isn't that what Candace did when she had her knee operation?

Archived