Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imagination thread and trade poll.

Art

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I have no problem with trading for Briggs. I have no problem with trading for a Pro Bowl linebacker. The only problem I have is giving up the sixth pick for Briggs and the 31st. This defense was a very good defense only one year ago. I think people are forgetting that. And the first year of Gibbs 2.0, our defense was unbelievable and much of that was attributed to the stellar play of the linebackers especially Pierce and Washington.

Now we have Fletcher to replace Pierce and Washington has to improve from his hip injury or we have Lamar Marshall or Rocky to take his spot. Briggs would be a great fit - he's a playmaker. I don't know if you guys remember, but last year our problem was creating turnovers. He is great at that.

My philosophy on defense is fill each layer at a time. Do the defensive line one time, or the linebacking core, or the backfield. Our backfield is almost done - we just need a safety opposite Sean Taylor. If we get Briggs, we will not have anything to worry about when it comes to our linebackers. Our only remaining deficiency would be the defensive line.

If I were the Redskins, I would trade back from 31 to the middle of the second and receiver another second or third rounder and from there, pick a safety and a dlineman - either a de or a dt to make sure our defense is stout.

This leaves us with only one hole - LG, which can be filled with a free agent after the draft.

Madd. I asked you to submit another name than Briggs. One you knew was great. If the factors you suggest are there they will impact you no matter the name. Indeed, I have drawn the conclusion it is a GREAT deal to get a Top 5 player at his position for the value of the No. 16 pick in the first round. I think THAT should be NEARLY 100 percent to everyone responding.

The question really to me is whether that's what Briggs is and I don't believe he is, so, I will not be "for" the trade if it were to occur. But, I would be for such a trade -- as I bet you would be if you could be honest for two seconds -- if I REALLY knew the guy was a true great player at the spot.

In spite of two All-Pro seasons, Briggs is not that great of a playmaker. He has only 3.5 sacks and 6 INT's in 4 seasons. He's not going to make that many big plays for us or make that big a difference, yet he will command a humungus contract. And we already have 4 starting quality LB's on our roster - Washington, Fletcher, Marshall, and McIntosh.

Second, Chicago's 31st pick is only 2 spots removed from being a 2nd round pick. The Bears need to sweeten the pot.... like throw in DE Agunleye.

If the Skins make the trade as originally proposed, we still will not have the other pass-rushing DE we need, because they will be gone by the 31st pick.

Briggs is the real deal. I've had to watch him every Sunday for the past several years because my good friend with the NFL Sunday Ticket and big screen tv is a Bears fanatic. Briggs simply jacks people up. He FLIES to the ball, takes care of his zone and has great instincts. I don't want him here though.

I'm worried that if we DO trade for him, that the FO will never learn how to efficiently build a team by squandering away draft picks and cap space with dead money. Joe Gibbs knows better.

I'm more angry that my campaigning for Branch has been pushed aside because of this nonsense.

Well, I think mad might be a little strong for how I feel about this potential move. Confused is a better term. Place me in the “no” camp.

Could we have better LBs? Sure. If we were talking about Ray Lewis 3 or 4 years ago then the answer would be "yes" REGARDLESS of who we currently had on the roster. He was (and still is to a lesser extent) a guy you had to game plan for or he could kill you (make your own obvious joke here). He also is a leader and his will still shapes that defense.

Is Briggs that type of guy? I see no indication that he is. He talented enough to make a lot of money in this league but we have good players at that position as well as solid potential on the roster already. Of any of our real or perceived holes LB seems to be the one where we have addressed that need logically already with Fletcher.

We have some real value with the 6th pick. Unless we found a deal that absolutely knocked us over I think we’d be best served seeing who fell to us there.

Madd. I asked you to submit another name than Briggs. One you knew was great. If the factors you suggest are there they will impact you no matter the name. Indeed, I have drawn the conclusion it is a GREAT deal to get a Top 5 player at his position for the value of the No. 16 pick in the first round. I think THAT should be NEARLY 100 percent to everyone responding.

The question really to me is whether that's what Briggs is and I don't believe he is, so, I will not be "for" the trade if it were to occur. But, I would be for such a trade -- as I bet you would be if you could be honest for two seconds -- if I REALLY knew the guy was a true great player at the spot.

Yeah, but I value some positions more highly than others. I'd do it in a second for a Pro Bowl DT or DE. No question. And for a Pro Bowl corner. But, given the Skins needs, I wouldn't do it for a quarterback, running back, or receiver. Or even safety, guard, or linebacker, which are needs, but I view them as second-tier positions that are more easily filled in free agency. I wouldn't even do it for a Pro Bowl OT, because even though it a very difficult position to fill and we have no depth, we have two good starters and more pressing needs elsewhere.

On the other hand, if you have a shot at a legendary player at a position we don't need, I'd do it. Ladanian Tomlinson, for example. Peyton Manning. At linebacker, it would have to be LT or Ray Lewis in his prime. Or Urlacher. If that's what you're asking, then sure, who wouldn't? But Briggs is nowhere near that level as a linebacker.

When you take a step down to Briggs, and you don't really need a linebacker as badly as you need other positions, I'd say no. Emphatically no. The offer is too poor, the player is good-but-not-great and asking too much, the team needs are too pressing elsewhere. It's an easy decision to make, no matter how much I like Briggs.

Could we honestly get a Urlacher or Lewis (in his prime) for the trade mentioned?

Before we picked up Fletcher sure I'd take it......but I doubt that trade would occur, this is all BS what ifs anyway- so sure I'd take it for somebody of that caliber.

Briggs ins't in the same level as the above (or throw in another top OLB).

And what was Lewis' primary complaint to the Ravens last year-- They lacked at DT that allowed him to get minimally toched by the O-line.

We still lack that dominating tackle that can be healthy 14-16 games a season (Griff and Big Joe get banged up alot).

So, in order for this to work. We would need a) a linebacker that would excell in this system (not sold Briggs would), (B) a DT available at #31 to fit the above needs (I'm talking a solid starter)

What is your goal, are you trying to make one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL, THE worst? ;)

Freeney gets a bad rap as a run defender. He is actually quite solid there. In no way is he to blame for Indy blowing at run defense. I would be ecstatic to land Freeney and Indy's #1. Paying him a 25 mill signing bonus on the other hand might sting. :)

I dont think it could hurt to wait until draft day to make a deal. Who's to say someone unexpected doesnt fall to the 6th spot and teams would be leap frogging each other with deals to take the 6 spot. Playing our hand now would be a little foolish to me.

I don't like the trade simply because of the values associated with the draft picks being mentioned.

If the Bears were to sweeten the pot some, and throw in a 2nd rounder, then I think the deal becomes more lucritive for us, and both sides benefit. Right now it's too one-sided in favor of the Bears. Especially considering Briggs is a player who wants out of Chicago. According to Briggs he isn't going to suit up for the Bears regardless, so we'd be doing them too many favors by taking a disgruntled player off their hands, meanwhile letting them move up to #6.

I'm not liking the deal because it's Briggs. We keep tossing around first round picks for guys who are not worthy of first round picks, in my opinion. I also don't believe linebacker is our most pressing need, assuming we didn't blow it on the Rocky deal that cost us picks last year. Even so, I wouldn't give up the sixth for a guy like Briggs.

Also for me, I've gotten to the point where I think the league sees us as fools who can be easily had. So it makes me nervous that we're going to get oversold on a guy that we overpay who again underachieves. Every agent worth their salt these days tries to get the Redskins involved in their games because they know we overpay and drive up the price for their clients. I think Rosenhaus has The Danny right where he wants him.

Hail,

H

I wouldn't be upset with the trade as is. I wish we could get another pick, but even as is, I'm fine with it. The best thing for me was reading that Snyder was looking for Gibbs so he could sign off on it.

Of course, I wanted to keep Ramsey and Arrington too. My football knowledge ends abruptly at "fan".

On second thought, the one thing that would change the equation for me is if the Skins needs changed. If, for example, we know that Marcus Washington isn't coming back from hip surgery, then we suddenly have the worst linebacking corps in football. Not just NFL football, either. Then the 'need' criteria climbs and you start to take this trade more seriously. I'd still lean on the Bears to offer more, and I'd still wait until draft day, but it gets more interesting.

But right now? No way.

I really want this team to built thorugh the draft, I think either getting a big time prospect at 6, or building depth through trading down would be better than getting another big name veteran. I'm happy with our LB's being Washington, Fletcher and Marshall/Rocky.

For me, it just seemed like our FO was turning the corner -- finally! They weren't sacrificing our future for the present. Which has burned us too many times. I'd like to see some semblance of a long term strategy.

If Rocky couldn't pass the mental test of being an NFL backer then just stop testing draftees. Didn't he score over 30 on the wonderlic? If that's truly the case Art then it's time for Cerrato to move back to ESPN. While we've had some hits in free agency and the draft; we've had more misses.

I know the coaches have played a big part in selecting players. But to me that goes back on Cerrato. We need someone to save a coach from himself. Someone who can look at the big picture. A coach will almost always be concerned with the present. That's all he can be guaranteed.

This move just smells bad man. Especially when we probably have the option to trade down to the middle of the 1st (still get a quality DLineman) and pick up a 2nd in the process. Atlanta has two they could deal. The way we draft? We need as many chances as possible. Cause probably only 1/3rd of the players we select will actually contribute.

Didnt we just get rid of Urlacher's last sidekick (highway 57)? how'd that work out for us?

Better yet we should ask New England about Rosevelt Colvin and has he lived up to that massive contract he got after looking so good playing next to Urlacher. Because if he was so great there wouldnt have been a need to bring in another athletic do it all linebacker (Adalius Thomas) that Rosie should have filled.

Its the system

And what was Lewis' primary complaint to the Ravens last year-- They lacked at DT that allowed him to get minimally toched by the O-line.

We still lack that dominating tackle that can be healthy 14-16 games a season (Griff and Big Joe get banged up alot).

:applause: :applause: And that was Ray freaking Lewis talking there. Not Lemar Marshall, not even London Fletcher. But Ray freaking Lewis.

For me personally it's about Briggs and the fact that we've already helped our LB corps by signing Fletcher as our MLB. I understand that Briggs is a good OLB but so is Washington, and Marshall to some degree.

I can say that if we were trading for Urlacher, Ware or Merriman, then I would think a little differently about the situation.

To me it's just not worth dropping to the same number our total defense was ranked last year, but in the draft not in rankings.

I'm satisfied with what little first round selections we've made in recent years (Campbell, Rogers, Taylor) and I think that having a pick at #6 will give us a great opportunity to put a defensive player on the field that will be with us for the long haul and can hopefully make an immediate impact next season.

With that being said, the draft is deep with defensive lineman and there's a possibility that there could be some great players left at #31.

Archived