Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

video of the top rated d-linemen in this year's draft

sabadahabada

Nice find, especially on a Jet site.:doh:

It made Adams and Branch look superior. However, I still think trading down a few spots and picking Carricker is the best option for the GW defense! Plus a third round additional pick would be welcomed.

adams looked pretty nice, especially his apparent knack for batting down passes. carricker also looked impressive, and seems like not too much of a step down if we decided to in fact trade down. but i must say if we stay at 6, im still leaning towards the big boy from arkansas (anderson).

Great post.:applause: Awesome video.:applause: All the discussion over the weeks have had me doubt Adams and Anderson at the DE with the No. 6 pick. But football is not played at the combine or in message boards. Watching that film made me remember why I like Adams or even Anderson at DE for us. We need the disruptive youth injection at the DE position especially on 3rd down. We need that youthful explosiveness Demarcus Ware gave the Cowboys. Can you imagine Adams or Anderson using the speed rush (in addition to other techniques that they will improve upon with Greg Blache's coaching) on 3rd down. I can see the interceptions now. DE is a great position to make an impact for a young player. You're playing against older players and to beat them once or twice is such a rush that it becomes addictive and you continue improve until you name is in the same sentence with Shawne Merriman. And that spirit is always found in the younger rather than older players. Adams motor looked the best out of all of them and can easily add a couple of pounds of muscle. Its what football players are bred to do since their freshmen year in college. I'm excited and pray we draft a DE. Watch you will see the Defense play even better than '04 because there will be more turnovers and it all starts at the line and getting to the QB.:cheers: :dallasuck

That's a good video. It definitely got me pumped for the draft. I'm thinking we've got to take Adams or Branch if we decide to keep the 6th pick but I would also not mind trading down for more picks. It should be interesting to see what the team decides to do.

I wouldn't mind us drafting Branch b/c he only helped lead the Wolverines to the #1 ranked run defense in the Nation. I would like to see our run Defense back to that caliber and he seems to be a guy that would help that happen.

I wouldn't mind us drafting Branch b/c he only helped lead the Wolverines to the #1 ranked run defense in the Nation. I would like to see our run Defense back to that caliber and he seems to be a guy that would help that happen.

a good run defense is nice and all, but this team is crippled by a lack of a pass rush. we need a stud DE badly to consistently pressure the qb, and when we get that u can bet that the rest of defense will return to dominance. a strong and consistent pass rush is vital to an effective defense. it'll cause double teams freeing up our other lineman, cause turnovers, and improve the secondary play since they will have less time to pass. all that being said i dont think branch will have that effect.

a good run defense is nice and all, but this team is crippled by a lack of a pass rush. we need a stud DE badly to consistently pressure the qb, and when we get that u can bet that the rest of defense will return to dominance. a strong and consistent pass rush is vital to an effective defense. it'll cause double teams freeing up our other lineman, cause turnovers, and improve the secondary play since they will have less time to pass. all that being said i dont think branch will have that effect.

Branch would have even a greater effect. While he personally would not be earning sacks, he would be drawing consistent double teams, freeing up the DEs to get to the QB. He would consistently stuff the run on run plays, and also collapse the pocket on passing plays, allowing for easier sacks since the QB can't step into the pocket. His massive body consuming the OLine will have a similar effect that Ngata has for Lewis or Harris for Urlacker: Fletcher will be able to command and dominate freely, without being troubled by blockers.

When looking at Anderson, you see a pass rush but the only run defense he prevents is to his particular side. You won't see him collapse the pocket, and he won't free up linebackers as effectively. The added pressure of his presence will definately cause more interceptions, but the same can be said for Branch, except he does it in more ways than one.

With Branch, he 1) pressures the QB by collapsing the pocket 2) pressures the QB by causing double teams, freeing up DEs to pressure (this one is indirect) and 3) when he shuts the run down on 1st and 2nd, being forced to throw on 3rd and long will cause more turnovers, and finally 4) will sack the QB himself on occasion.

We need a DE opposite of Carter, there is no debating that. But in order to return to a dominate defense, Branch would have a much greater impact than any DE in this draft.

I like the idea of trading down and drafting Anderson who might be there or Carriker who will likely be there 10-15.

But if we pick at 6, am starting to prefer Adams and am seeing why pretty much EVERY draft board has Adams going first as to the DEs. Kiper was one of the only holdouts prefering Anderson to Adams but now even he reversed himself and picks Adams as the bigger talent.

You can see it with these sacks he's a beast in pursuit

Adams

"Excellent backside chase speed and can track down backs and close fast to the ball. Can really accelerate when he has a free lane to the ball" "The best pure pass rusher is the draft, Adams has the size, burst, athletic ability and bend to dominate and take over games." (Pro-football weekly draft guide)

"Has an explosive first step; usually starts his second step by the time offensive tackles are through their first strides. Can force tackles into bad spots and beat them inside or outside. Diagnoses plays quickly and seldom gets fooled by tricks and misdirections..is a great pursuit defender with unusual speed, chases down plays all over the field. (Sporting news draft guide)

"A standout based on just his size and athletic ability..he not only shows the speed off the edge to be an instant sack artist, but contributes against the run and with his ability to deflect passes, he could prove to be a real difference maker at the next level." (Lindy's pro draft guide)

Anderson

"Anderson often matched up very favorably with slow-footed college right tackles..Anderson has the potential to develop into a very solid pro." (Pro-football weekly draft guide)

is quick and has surprising speed from the backside..has all the tools to be a dominant end, but he will have to play with more leverage and aggressiveness more consistently. He probably will need a year or two of seasoning to bring out his best." (Sporting news draft guide)

Be wary of -- they pick 5 players, Anderson is one of them:

"Much of 2006 production the results of stunts employed by an aggressive defense." (Lindy's pro football draft guide)

Yes, just about every guide and draft observor likes Anderson, but there seems to be a clear preference for Adams. Some of us on the board say Anderson over Adams is a no brainer. I don't see that. Though I wouldn't mind drafting Anderson becuase he more so than Adams is the player more likely to fall. I think we need TWO PLAYERS in the draft -- a 1st rounder and hopefully 2nd, worst case a third.

With Branch, he 1) pressures the QB by collapsing the pocket 2) pressures the QB by causing double teams, freeing up DEs to pressure (this one is indirect) and 3) when he shuts the run down on 1st and 2nd, being forced to throw on 3rd and long will cause more turnovers, and finally 4) will sack the QB himself on occasion.

true, good points.

:cheers:

Adams looked good but really small. He looks like a tall LB even against college players. He'd be exploited when teams choose to run at him.

I'd go Anderson first, then Okoye then Carracker or maybe Branch but Adams last. He'd be great if all we needed was a situational pass rusher.

Great find man. After watching it it makes me less want to draft anderson. In that highlight reel all the guys apart from him showed sideline to sideline range, even branch made that nice hit on the minnesota qb on the sideline, and amobi was making tackles on screens and catching up to the qb downfield. Adams looked like i expected him to, but Carriker looked alot quicker then someone who weighs close to 300 pounds. As of right now, I trade down to select either Okoye or Carriker, but if we have to stay at 6, then we should pick either branch or Okoye, either one would be fine.

We need the disruptive youth injection at the DE position especially on 3rd down. We need that youthful explosiveness Demarcus Ware gave the Cowboys.

3rd down absolutely killed us last year. I would get so angry because every team seemed to convert on 3rd down, it was as if we were just giving it to them on 3rd down.

Archived