Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

video of the top rated d-linemen in this year's draft

sabadahabada

Adams looked good but really small. He looks like a tall LB even against college players. He'd be exploited when teams choose to run at him.

DING, DING, DING, DING, Adams looks like a great pass rusher, but remember, we play in the NFC East, the nastiest, most physical division in football. What happens in the fourth quarter when teams start pounding it at him at 260lbs when tackles like john Runyan are 6,6' 330. That will be a weak point. I remember the Patriots running at julius peppers in the Superbowl a fews years back, and the holes were huge. Now Pep doesn't have that problem anymore, but he was 290 coming out of colloege, not 260 like GA is. I like Branch a lot, and Carricker seams to have the best motor of the the bigger DE's. Reminds me of the white guy from kansas city (can't remember hsi name, sorry). Either would be fine, but Okoye and GA just seem tooooo small to play in our division. They seem more suited to play in divisions like the AFC South or the NFC West, speedier divisions. :2cents:

Although Adams beat him in the Vertical Jump and broad jump while only had 1 less bench rep and ran a 4.64 in comparison to andersons 4.74. As far as im concerned, all jumping drills are the truest measure of explosiveness.

With that in mind, Carriker had a better vert then Anderson, had the 2nd fastest 20 yrd shuttle time out of all the DL's at the combine, and had 33 bench reps. Carriker also ran a 4.72 40. So what it comes down to is Carriker is stronger then both adams and anderson, faster then anderson, quicker then both, and slightly less explosive.

Lets look at the numbers here. I'll use Carriker's pro day numbers for 10, 20 yard dash, etc, even though it was apparently on a very fast surface. And you like leg explosion. That is fair. Carriker had a 33 1/2 inch vertical, Anderson had a 32 1/2 inch vertical. A small difference but not all that much. Broad jump? That is where things change a bit. Anderson had a 9'8, Carriker had a 9'2. That is a bit more of a difference. From what I've read the broad jump is a better indicator of explosion and burst as opposed to the vertical. Adams beat them both (9'11, 35 inch vertical) in those drills but they both beat him on the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill, which I think is at least as important. All 3 of their 10 and 20 yard dashes were almost identical (Though Carriker's were faster on his pro day than at the combine). And yes Adams did have the best 40 time, im sure that will come in useful when the opposing team uses a 35 yard shotgun formation.

And bench presses really don't mean that much unless he is planning on picking a Tackle up and bench pressing him. Julius Peppers did 24 reps, I don't think anyone would really call him weak.

The DE's in the NFL East

Strahan, Michael DE 6'05'' 255 11/21/1971

Umenyiora, Osi DE 6'03'' 261 11/16/1981

Ware, DeMarcus OLB 6'04" 257 07/31/1982

Cole, Trent DE 6'03" 270

Kearse, Jevon DE 6'04'' 265

And Gaines Adams who some are playing down as if he is some light weight midget is 6'05" 265

Look these are bookend DEs when you are talking about the Giants and Eagles. The Cowboys have Spears or Canty on the other side and they are bigger guys ala Carriker.

Am not argiung against a DT, actually I'd love nothing more than drafting a DT and DE. But I like Adams as a DE on the other side and no I don't think its unusual to have 2 pass rushers on both ends.

My key is trading down if we do that we aren't getting Adams so I'd be happy with Carriker but if we pick at 6 I'd be OK with Adams.

Gaine Adams too small to play in the NFC East? Are you kidding me! Look at DeMarcus Ware's dimensions and then tell me why Gaines Adams doesn't have the bulk and the speed to make the same type of impact DeMarcus did. Get off Jamaal's bandwagon everybody. He had a terrible pro day and is just plain not the best end in the draft, Gaines Adams gave Clemson years of consistency and the fact that he has proven to play at a high level year after year must mean something. Heres Ware's stats... they look pretty respectable I have to say... oh and by the way he 6'4 257, Gaines is 6'5 258.

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg

2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 58 47.0 11 8 0 0 0.0

2006 Dallas Cowboys 16 71 57.0 14 11.5 1 41 41.0

Gaine Adams too small to play in the NFC East? Are you kidding me! Look at DeMarcus Ware's dimensions and then tell me why Gaines Adams doesn't have the bulk and the speed to make the same type of impact DeMarcus did. Get off Jamaal's bandwagon everybody. He had a terrible pro day and is just plain not the best end in the draft, Gaines Adams gave Clemson years of consistency and the fact that he has proven to play at a high level year after year must mean something. Heres Ware's stats... they look pretty respectable I have to say... oh and by the way he 6'4 257, Gaines is 6'5 258.

But there is the fact that Ware plays outside backer in a 3-4, while, if we do draft an end, we are looking for a guy who can take on the tackle and tight end without losing ground in the run game, and provide a pass rushing boost. I can only see Adams doing the later.

But there is the fact that Ware plays outside backer in a 3-4, while, if we do draft an end, we are looking for a guy who can take on the tackle and tight end without losing ground in the run game, and provide a pass rushing boost. I can only see Adams doing the later.

What about the Giants for example I don't hear people saying their combo of Strahan and Umenyiora not very scary since they aren't studs against the run because they are both around 260 pounds.

I just think there is a big difference between having a VERY good pass rusher which Adams is supposed to be potentially as opposed to a potentially good but more well rounded pass rusher in Anderson. Adams I think would be more likely to cause fear in the opponents. And my draft magazine has him at 265. That's not that small its bigger than a lot of stud DEs in this league, he's tall he can add some weight.

And again I think if we draft a DE that focuses on the run I'd go with Carriker not Anderson. I don't recall reading that Anderson is some stud against the run. And if the run is our biggest concern IMO we should be debating Branch verus Okoye not DEs.

Jamaal had a terrible pro day? How is that? he ran the short shuttle and 3 cone drill faster than Adams did, and Adams is supposed to be the quick, agile one. He ran the 10 and 20 yard dash in almost the exact same times as Adams...at almost 30 lbs heavier. Or are you talking about his 40 time? Oh no! Jamaal ran a 4.75! If teams start using that new 35 yard shotgun formation we are in deep doo doo. Or are you worried about bench reps? 22. Man. 4.75, only 22 reps. Anyone who does that must suck. Wait...Julius Peppers ran a 4.7 and did a whopping 2 more reps than Anderson. Yes, Adams gave them 2 years of consistency. And he has been in college for 5.

Anderson didn't really have the luxury of sitting around and learning over 5 years. He came in as a WR, was asked to move to DE, gained 70+ lbs and by the end of his junior year was the best DE in the toughest conference in college football, while also racking up most of his sacks against some of the best teams in the country. Out of the two, I'd say Anderson has the better learning curve and upside. Not to mention better quickness and agility than Adams, again at almost 30 lbs more. So you'd rather have the smaller, less agile guy who had less sacks and less tackles for a loss than the bigger guy who produced more and has nowhere to go but up?

I apologize for saying terrible... unimpressive is what I heard though and that he may have dropped to the second half of the first round. Oh ok here I found a link... this is not where I saw it though initially.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10070324

Then as I said, Peppers had a pedestrian performance as well. And you didn't respond to my point that Anderson had better numbers than Adams in drills that show quickness, agility, change of direction, body control, and lateral movement which are the most important things for a DE...even though he weighs about 30 lbs more than Adams. Namely the short shuttle, and 3 cone drill. Is there some reason you want a smaller guy who was less productive, is seemingly less agile, and took longer to realize his potential as opposed to a guy who can do the same, did it against better teams, and has nothing but upside?

What about the Giants for example I don't hear people saying their combo of Strahan and Umenyiora not very scary since they aren't studs against the run because they are both around 260 pounds.

I just think there is a big difference between having a VERY good pass rusher which Adams is supposed to be potentially as opposed to a potentially good but more well rounded pass rusher in Anderson. Adams I think would be more likely to cause fear in the opponents. And my draft magazine has him at 265. That's not that small its bigger than a lot of stud DEs in this league, he's tall he can add some weight.

And again I think if we draft a DE that focuses on the run I'd go with Carriker not Anderson. I don't recall reading that Anderson is some stud against the run. And if the run is our biggest concern IMO we should be debating Branch verus Okoye not DEs.

How is Anderson a "good but more well rounded pass rusher" and Adams is a "VERY good pass rusher" when Anderson had more sacks against better teams along with having more tackles for a loss? At the combine Adams was 258. Anderson may not be a "stud" against the run, but he is very stout against it for a guy who is also a big time pass rusher. That combo is pretty hard to come by.

A push up the middle does count for alot(Branch) and allows your ends to make plays..I remember Daryl Gardener doing it that one season for us. But watching the video I like what I saw from Adams. I also like Carriker. Anderson seems more the Julius Peppers type freak, which is a good thing, tremendous upside. I just hope after all the homework our coaches do...we get the best guy we can at our pick and they pay off big time.

Branch woud be a welcome sight for us inside.Even if he didnt start for a few games he looked great there,I bet GW likes him.However, is he a game changer like Adams or Anderson?I think he is,but at #6(if no trade down occurs)I bet our guys go with a DE.It looks good for us with either guy from what I saw.

Here is some video from the Michigan defense that I found - one thing to notice about Branch - for someone who's motor isn't supposed to be good and for someone who doesn't "make the whole defense #1 against the run" check out the double and sometimes triple teams he gets.

I still like him better than Okoye due to his size and strength - look at him in that video again - very first part shows him being pushed backwards quite badly one on one. *That* is what worries me about a DT in the NFL that is under 300 pounds. Combine the 6' 6" frame and the 330# and the strength he has demonstrated and I think Branch (after a trade back a few spots) would be worth the pick. Yes, he got manhandled by a top DT from the old school because his hand use wasn't that good - but the hand use can be taught.

Check out the videos I had posted elsewhere:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3601403&postcount=75

I wouldn't mind selecting Branch, Adams, I'm just apprehensive about Anderson. He is a great athlete who's pass rushing ability was helped alot last year by stunts and twists and other forms of trickery and tomfoolery.. on the contrary.. Gaines is just a straight pass rusher and was not involved as much with misdirection and mismatching. Jamaal Anderson lined up against right tackles; this means he is not facing the best pass blockers and though he seems to look great against the run, I am not sold on his pass rushing skills. He does not have consistency, nor experience at the position.. and if we want someone who can start immediately we need both. Now someone said Gaines was less productive as if this is a blatant fact and I find that to be a flat out joke. Productivity is not measured in a year's dose, because if it was Jamal Lewis would be considered the best running back in the league and Walt Harris would indeed be a Pro Bowl Quality CB, two things we both know to not be true. Gaines looks better on tape and Jamaal should have in turn shown that he looks better with his physical prowess at pro day... since this is his sole upside as compared to Gaines. But..... he didn't and it best it was a draw, and so what is it about Jamaal, potential? The word potential is very dangerous because it implies that we are basing the pick on something we have not seen yet. The fact that we have to say this word so much when we talk about Anderson worries me.

How is Anderson a "good but more well rounded pass rusher" and Adams is a "VERY good pass rusher" when Anderson had more sacks against better teams along with having more tackles for a loss? At the combine Adams was 258. Anderson may not be a "stud" against the run, but he is very stout against it for a guy who is also a big time pass rusher. That combo is pretty hard to come by.

If Anderson is the better pass rusher than Adams as you imply and a stud against the run, and the makings of being another Julius Pepper -- how come virutally no one else is saying that? Why aren't people saying Anderson is a sure fire top 5 pick? While at least some are saying Adams can crack the top 5 but no one is saying about Anderson? What is everyone getting wrong?

If Anderson is both on par or better than Adams as a pass rusher and he has better run stopping skills, too. Wouldn't he EASILY be ahead of Adams on every draft board? How come its the reverse? And how comes about 90% of the draft magazines and sites say Adams is the better pass rusher?

The only major draft analyist that had Anderson ahead of Adams that I can recall was Kiper. And now even he has reversed himself and has Adams first.

I posted some of the comments from some NFL draft magazines that say he will be very "solid", one saying he can be one of the 5 potential busts and his sack #'s where inflated based on stunts and mismatches against slow RTs. A guy on NFL network said some scouts have been so unimpressed with him that he's now to them a late first round pick.

Yeah plenty of people like Anderson but he has his detractors. Adams doesn't seem to have them. I can see the argument well maybe Adams is the better pass rusher but Anderson has the tools to some day be as good or better and is better against the run.

But to say that Anderson is CLEARLY the better player. Well, you don't have too many draft types backing you up. If you like what you see on tape and think that we all are missing the boat here, good enough, that's cool. But you not me at the moment are in the MINORITY that Anderson is the better player.

Look I've read your posts. And I love your idea of who Anderson is -- some sort of huge beast who stops the run and is unstoppable pass rusher and an athletic freak. Cool, and I wish. He defintiely based on reports seems to be athletic but a speed and strength freak he doesn't seem to be at least not yet and in terms of being an unstoppable pass rusher who got the better of elite OTs -- isn't how he's described.

I have not scouted him personally so what the heck do I know. But watching that feed on this thread to ME it confirms what MOST other people are saying about Adams which is that he is a natural pass rusher with a super fast quick step and locks on the QB and gets the sack quickly. Anderson on that tape to me didn't seem to have that same burst. And that's consistent with the draft sites/magazines.

Who knows there is always a crap shoot element to this. Maybe Jarvis Moss ends up being the best DE ultimately. And if you LOVE Jamal Anderson, cool. But am just saying virutally every draft site/magazine picks Adams.

Good news is if we draft down we have a shot at Anderson as opposed to Adams. If other teams are in love with Anderson they are keeping it real quiet. Right now Kiper has him going #10. But more recently he did his scouting ranking and if I recall Anderson was in the teens.

Personally, I'd be happy if we get Anderson around that spot, just not at #6.

Some people say we need a DE to put pressure on the QB. Some say we need a DT because we need to upgrade at that position. Well both are somewhat true. We could use a big stud runstopper like Branch or Okoye or Adams and we also could use someone like Anderson or Carriker to pressure the QB. What i think we should do is get a guy like Branch or Adams to go alongside Griffin, Golston, and Montgomery to take the pressure off the DE. The push up the middle will make teams double team the inside guys and free up the DE's to get pressure on the QB. Look at when we had Griffin and Darryl Gardner (FA from Miami).They created all kinds of havoc in the backfield because teams couldn't block them both so they double team them and our DE were free to get pressure on the QB. That is what we need. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind selecting Branch, Adams, I'm just apprehensive about Anderson. He is a great athlete who's pass rushing ability was helped alot last year by stunts and twists and other forms of trickery and tomfoolery.. on the contrary.. Gaines is just a straight pass rusher and was not involved as much with misdirection and mismatching. Jamaal Anderson lined up against right tackles; this means he is not facing the best pass blockers and though he seems to look great against the run, I am not sold on his pass rushing skills. He does not have consistency, nor experience at the position.. and if we want someone who can start immediately we need both. Now someone said Gaines was less productive as if this is a blatant fact and I find that to be a flat out joke. Productivity is not measured in a year's dose, because if it was Jamal Lewis would be considered the best running back in the league and Walt Harris would indeed be a Pro Bowl Quality CB, two things we both know to not be true. Gaines looks better on tape and Jamaal should have in turn shown that he looks better with his physical prowess at pro day... since this is his sole upside as compared to Gaines. But..... he didn't and it best it was a draw, and so what is it about Jamaal, potential? The word potential is very dangerous because it implies that we are basing the pick on something we have not seen yet. The fact that we have to say this word so much when we talk about Anderson worries me.

Which Arkansas games did you watch? Do you really think that no other teams ever do run stunts? A run stunt doesn't always = a sack, otherwise nobody would do anything else. You have to have a talented guy to get to the QB. And yes I read that same scouting report that mentioned that...the one that did. Did you watch the video from the beginning of this thread at all? Every single sack they showed came from the edge, not from a stunt. So even your assertion that that is the only reason he got his sacks is silly on its face. If by consistency you mean he hasn't been playing in college for 5 years, then I guess you're right. If, however, by consistency you mean consistently getting sacks against the best teams they played then no you aren't right.

Gaines is just a straight ahead pass rusher? No trickery? Are you kidding me? He didn't even play pure 4-3 DE at Clemson; they also had him line up as a roaming OLB so they could create mismatches and make it so he didn't get swallowed up by blockers. Did you happen to see that on at least 2 of those sacks he literally didn't get touched on the way to the QB? You really think he is just so talented that he becomes invisible when he wills it? From a scouting report on Adams:

"Adams is one of the many excellent defensive end prospects from the 2007 Draft class. His college production is somewhat overrated, as many of his sacks came in pursuit or being unblocked. However, has excellent potential as a pass rusher in the NFL. Has the athletecism to stand up in a 3-4 as a rush linebacker."

How does a guy not get blocked at all? That is trickery and gimmicks and creating mismatches. Either that or you are playing against a horrible horrible O line.

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=25&a=54

A draw at pro day? He beat Adams in every agility drill! And he is 30 lbs heavier. Plenty of people have used the word "potential" with Adams as well. And when you have a guy who played for 5 years in college at the same position and then a guy who had to put on weight and only got to play it for 2 years and by his second year had better numbers against better teams...and is at least as agile but taller and heavier then I'd say that is more potential than a guy who takes 3 or 4 years to start to produce a lot. Neither one of them are sure things, but I think I'd rather go with the guy with more upside.

Lets say Adams is as good a pass rusher as some people are saying he is. Think of it this way if someone said to you guys that we can have DeMarcus Ware but actually this guy is a little taller and weighs a little more and can handle some more weight to boot. Would you guys say, no way, we don't need Ware on the other side of Carter.

Let the Eagles and the Giants be the teams with TWO stud pass rushers on the edges but that's not for us.

If Anderson truly has Gaines pass rushing skills with the ability to stop the run, am all over him. Just has me concerned that a lot of people aren't saying that this is the case.

Personally, am not in love with any DE at 6. I'd trade down I'd be thrilled to come out with a DT AND DE.

EDIT

Mistertim

Don't recall if you said we should draft Anderson at #6. if you are saying that we should take him trading down, I am with you, I wouldn't grab him at 6. Adams would likely be a moot point grabbing trading down because he will be gone. Then the debate really turns Anderson versus Carriker. We should start that one next! LOL. I don't think at least based on what I read EITHER Adams or Anderson is a can't miss stud DE.

Neither one of them are sure things, but I think I'd rather go with the guy with more upside.

I luv your passion to get Anderson in the B&G, and if we get him, the first thing I want him to do is work on his arms. That pic you got of him doesnt make him too intimidating. ;)

The other thing I wonder about Anderson is if his drill is potential and that's what we are banking on with him -- how come he doesn't get the buzz that Okoye has been getting? Okoye eveyone hypes his potential. And he has been climbing up the draft boards.

If Anderson is putting on a big show at the NFL combine how come at least 2 sources -- the link that was posted on this thread and the NFL network are saying the opposite?

And my bigger question how come Adams is holding steady on most draft boards while Anderson is dropping on most?

Look I got no dog in this fight, we want the same thing, a great DE for the Skins, and early on I was on the Anderson bandwagon but it concerns me that unlike Carriker, Okoye and Adams who for the most part have climbed in the boards after displaying their skills in person -- Anderson at best has held steady but often has dropped. And as said the Kiper thing concerns me because he was one of the few on the bandwagon of him being the best DE but now he's off it too.

I'd love to love Anderson, i just need some convincing, sorry to put you on the spot! But since you seem to be the most passionate Anderson fan, you probably are the best shot to put the detractors to rest.

Lets say Adams is as good a pass rusher as some people are saying he is. Think of it this way if someone said to you guys that we can have DeMarcus Ware but actually this guy is a little taller and weighs a little more and can handle some more weight to boot. Would you guys say, no way, we don't need Ware on the other side of Carter.

Let the Eagles and the Giants be the teams with TWO stud pass rushers on the edges but that's not for us.

If Anderson truly has Gaines pass rushing skills with the ability to stop the run, am all over him. Just has me concerned that a lot of people aren't saying that this is the case.

Personally, am not in love with any DE at 6. I'd trade down I'd be thrilled to come out with a DT AND DE.

That is a fallacious argument because we already know what Ware ended up doing. Ware could have been a bust. Not like it has never happened before. Saying that Adams is going to be a STUD is complete guesswork. My point is that I think Anderson, at this point, simply has more potential and upside as a 4-3 DE. People keep talking about how Adams lined up against the RT, or he is a pure pass rusher without gimicks or stunts. That is nonsense. Hell, even in one of the sacks they show of his he is lined up on the left side. They also switched him around to hybrid OLB positions to make mismatches and confuse defenses. Notice a couple of those where he came full speed from the side and didn't even get blocked? You really think he did that from the trenches? Very unlikely. That is trickery and gimicks.

Come to think of it, did you see a single sack in that group of Adams clips where he obviously just beat the RT one on one and got to the QB from the edge? I saw him come unblocked from the backfield, unblocked from LDE, up the middle from downfield (the one where he got cut blocked), etc. Maybe they just didn't show those. At least in Anderson's there were at least 3 clips where he clearly had beaten the Tackle from the LOS and picked up the sack. My point here isn't to just bash Adams or something. I'm just responding to this argument that Adams is some sort of "pure pass rusher on the RDE side" whereas Anderson is just some guy who got lucky because of run stunts or some other nonsense.

And regarding why many scouts have Adams above Anderson: experience. They wonder if he is a one season phenom whereas they know Adams at least has been a relatively known commodity. That, however, doesn't mean that he is going to be a better DE in the NFL. Just that he got more college experience. Even scouts that have Adams before Anderson generally say that his upside is very possibly through the roof, but that he is still raw in areas. However, he obviously has a hell of a learning curve and he can continue that way at the next level then I'd be willing to take that chance instead of just go with the guy everyone else is more hyped up about.

The other thing I wonder about Anderson is if his drill is potential and that's what we are banking on with him -- how come he doesn't get the buzz that Okoye has been getting? Okoye eveyone hypes his potential. And he has been climbing up the draft boards.

If Anderson is putting on a big show at the NFL combine how come at least 2 sources -- the link that was posted on this thread and the NFL network are saying the opposite?

And my bigger question how come Adams is holding steady on most draft boards while Anderson is dropping on most?

Look I got no dog in this fight, we want the same thing, a great DE for the Skins, and early on I was on the Anderson bandwagon but it concerns me that unlike Carriker, Okoye and Adams who for the most part have climbed in the boards after displaying their skills in person -- Anderson at best has held steady but often has dropped. And as said the Kiper thing concerns me because he was one of the few on the bandwagon of him being the best DE but now he's off it too.

I'd love to love Anderson, i just need some convincing, sorry to put you on the spot! But since you seem to be the most passionate Anderson fan, you probably are the best shot to put the detractors to rest.

The main reason Carriker and Okoye began their rise up the draft boards was because of the Senior Bowl and how they performed in it and how they looked in practice. It was right around that time. And obviously Anderson didn't get to participate in that, being a junior coming out. Why is Adams holding steady? No clue. His 40 time maybe? A lot of the time that is all that people who do mocks really look at as far as workouts. Maybe it is groupthink?

I don't know, but Anderson hasn't done anything to be ashamed of certainly in workouts. He beat Adams in all of the agility drills, had a 9'8 broad jump which is impressive for a guy his size, and was neck and neck in terms of number with Adams in the 10 and 20 yard dash. But people tend to focus on 40 times or bench reps. But neither of those are nearly as important for a DE as the others. As I've said before, Peppers ran a 4.7 and he was the same size as Anderson. He also did 24 reps on the bench press...not much more than Jamaal. I'm not saying this means he is Peppers. I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily mean as much as some want to say it does.

Archived