Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

video of the top rated d-linemen in this year's draft

sabadahabada

I would fix the offense first (Peterson, Johnson) then deal with the defense next year ... the plan is to build a powerhouse around Campbell.

Pass me some of whatever you are smoking. :) Remember offense sells tickets but defense wins games. We already have the ticket sales, we just need to win more games. :doh:

Gaines adams is the real deal

For an OLB in a 3-4 I think he would be fine. But at his weight he would get thrown around like a rag doll by NFL Tackles in a 4-3. He would need to put on at least 10-15 lbs. His game is based purely on speed and agility (even though Anderson, who is 6'6 285 beat him in the short shuttle as well as 3 cone drill...both of which measure burst, change of direction, and lateral movement, which are much more important for a DE than 40 time). How would that weight affect his speed?

I would fix the offense first (Peterson, Johnson) then deal with the defense next year ... the plan is to build a powerhouse around Campbell.

So, after looking at our strengths and weaknesses over this offseason, we should turn our attention to the 13th ranked offense where once JC took over ran the ball at will and should have better passing stats given an offseason of working together.

We'll then in turn ignore the defense after signing LF and Smoot. The defense, which was ranked 31st in the league last year. How could offense possibly have a greater priority than defense? Sure scoring more points would be great, but not that great when you keep giving up more than you can score.

I wouldn't exactly call 6-2 295 or 6-3 304 "massive two gap DTs" and they were the guys why played DT for the Bills last season (Tripplett and Anderson), but Fletcher still managed to log 146 tackles, 2 sacks, and 4 ints. I think one of the things people are overlooking in our terrible run stopping abilities is the simple fact that we had horrible tackling. There were plenty of times we could have stopped long runs or even intermediate ones; we had the guys there to make the stops. But we couldn't tackle to save our lives, and people were very often out of position (ahem, Highway 57). Fletcher has proven that he can shed tackles and get to the ball carrier without having John Henderson in front of him. He has also proven that he has the ability to read plays and make sure everyone is in the right place to make the tackles.

haha you're right. Buffalo's DTs weren't particularly large/good but Fletcher did have a great season with 146 tackles. those individual stats for flecther really made a difference when buffalo had a WORSE RUN DEFENSE THAN US!!! BUFFALO WAS 28TH AGAINST THE RUN AND ALLOWED AN ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC YPC OF 4.7!

meaning.... bum bum bum.... that all his tackles aren't particularly helpful if the DTs playing in front of him aren't effective. What's the point of having him log 100 tackles if they're made downfield? This proves that he needed effective DTs in Buffalo and that he'll need it here or else he'll have to fight off OL and we'll then be doomed to having a terrible rush defense yet again despite having a solid MLB. FLETCHER CANNOT MAKE UP FOR BAD DT PLAY - HE DIDN'T MAKE UP FOR IT IN BUFFALO AND HE WON'T MAKE UP FOR IT HERE. GET OVER IT :mad:

You are not going to build Rome in a day ... the defense has been dramatically improved with Fletcher/Smoot, etc. The offense needs tweaking ... Portis cannot be relied upon ... he may never be the player he once was ... injured shoulders have a habit of turning chronic ... The offense has greater needs at this point. Grab CJ or Peterson ... they are sure things ... the defensive players in this draft are not elite (each has flaws).

haha you're right. Buffalo's DTs weren't particularly large/good but Fletcher did have a great season with 146 tackles. those individual stats for flecther really made a difference when buffalo had a WORSE RUN DEFENSE THAN US!!! BUFFALO WAS 28TH AGAINST THE RUN AND ALLOWED AN ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC YPC OF 4.7!

meaning.... bum bum bum.... that all his tackles aren't particularly helpful if the DTs playing in front of him aren't effective. What's the point of having him log 100 tackles if they're made downfield? This proves that he needed effective DTs in Buffalo and that he'll need it here or else he'll have to fight off OL and we'll then be doomed to having a terrible rush defense yet again despite having a solid MLB. FLETCHER CANNOT MAKE UP FOR BAD DT PLAY - HE DIDN'T MAKE UP FOR IT IN BUFFALO AND HE WON'T MAKE UP FOR IT HERE. GET OVER IT :mad:

So then our DTs in 04 were dominant by that rationale, no?

it's like i'm conversing with a child, seriously... :doh:

No, seriously. How about it? What made us such a good run stuffing team in 04 if your theory is that we were so bad last year because we need a huge DT (or 2)? We had Griff and Joe at DT. Did they used to be huge 2 gap run stuffers but got sick and lost 30 lbs each and became a few inches shorter in the past couple of years?

You are not going to build Rome in a day ... the defense has been dramatically improved with Fletcher/Smoot, etc. The offense needs tweaking ... Portis cannot be relied upon ... he may never be the player he once was ... injured shoulders have a habit of turning chronic ... The offense has greater needs at this point. Grab CJ or Peterson ... they are sure things ... the defensive players in this draft are not elite (each has flaws).

So get rid of an elite RB coming off a shoulder injury and in turn draft an unproven RB coming off a collarbone injury, that solves our reliability problems at RB?

CP is not the only RB to ever have a shoulder injury, it's quite common. Julius Jones broke his shoulder as a rookie. Warrick Dunn just had shoulder surgery.

After watching that video, I was always a Jamaal Anderson fan, but now I just leaned my opinion to picking Gaines Adams!!! :helmet:

I'm sure he'll be a good player but we don't need speed rushers on both sides. And he didn't really have the power to bull rush in college so I doubt he'll have it in the NFL as a 4-3 DE unless he packs on some pounds and who knows how that would affect his speed. Another interesting thing is that on at least 2 of those sacks he was completely unblocked. Like nobody even noticed him. From what I've read he didn't play a pure 4-3 DE at Clemson; he played a sort of hybrid between that and 3-4 OLB so he could pick up momentum and rush the passer at speed.

This is crazy. Our offense is ok right now. We dont need to waste our pick on Peterson, (Johnson is welcomed though). Campbell is finally going to be able to have the same playbook for two years. Portis is back, Moss is still here, Els was kinda getting his man in that slot, and I honestly, honestly think that Brandon Lloyd will be better this year. He has some skills I think his attitude just messed him up. Hopefully Gibbs can talk some sense to him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=amlEeXR519E

Check out the first play at the :40 mark. Anderson introduces himself to a Tackle, a TE, and RB. :D

I think Carriker will be a very solid NFL player but I think Anderson can be just as powerful and also has nothing but upside.

The tackle doesn't even touch anderson on that play, he just goes outside straight away. Not taking anything away from him, but Carriker is definetly the more powerful of the two.

For an OLB in a 3-4 I think he would be fine. But at his weight he would get thrown around like a rag doll by NFL Tackles in a 4-3. He would need to put on at least 10-15 lbs. His game is based purely on speed and agility (even though Anderson, who is 6'6 285 beat him in the short shuttle as well as 3 cone drill...both of which measure burst, change of direction, and lateral movement, which are much more important for a DE than 40 time). How would that weight affect his speed?

Although Adams beat him in the Vertical Jump and broad jump while only had 1 less bench rep and ran a 4.64 in comparison to andersons 4.74. As far as im concerned, all jumping drills are the truest measure of explosiveness.

With that in mind, Carriker had a better vert then Anderson, had the 2nd fastest 20 yrd shuttle time out of all the DL's at the combine, and had 33 bench reps. Carriker also ran a 4.72 40. So what it comes down to is Carriker is stronger then both adams and anderson, faster then anderson, quicker then both, and slightly less explosive.

The tackle doesn't even touch anderson on that play, he just goes outside straight away. Not taking anything away from him, but Carriker is definetly the more powerful of the two.

Of course he did. The Tackle was trying to push him more to the side and out of the play while the TE was trying to stop his foward momentum. He bowled over both of them. If the Tackle didn't even touch him what were his hands doing out pushing him? Anderson basically ran past though the Tackle's pushes and right over the TE. How did the Tackle fall if he wasn't trying to put leverage against Anderson to the side? Did he trip over his own feet? What do you base Carriker's power on? His bench reps or watching him play?

Although Adams beat him in the Vertical Jump and broad jump while only had 1 less bench rep and ran a 4.64 in comparison to andersons 4.74. As far as im concerned, all jumping drills are the truest measure of explosiveness.

With that in mind, Carriker had a better vert then Anderson, had the 2nd fastest 20 yrd shuttle time out of all the DL's at the combine, and had 33 bench reps. Carriker also ran a 4.72 40. So what it comes down to is Carriker is stronger then both adams and anderson, faster then anderson, quicker then both, and slightly less explosive.

Carriker ran a 4.9 at the combine. His 4.72 was at his pro day:

NEBRASKA: MARCH 7Nebraska players worked indoors on FieldTurf. 23 teams were there, with about 60 people total viewing. Rams head coach Scott Linehan was there, as were the running backs coaches from Carolina and Kansas City. It was a very fast track, with players regularly putting up better times than they did at the Combine.

I'm sure he'll be a good player but we don't need speed rushers on both sides.

Now that you have said that alot of the good defenses has that one speed rusher, Dolphins and Colts come to mind with Taylor and Freeney.

Since we have Carter for that someone like Anderson is an upgrade from Daniels, but I will be happy with any of the guys except for Adams.

Great vid by the way. The month of April is going to be a slow one.

Carriker ran a 4.9 at the combine. His 4.72 was at his pro day:

NEBRASKA: MARCH 7Nebraska players worked indoors on FieldTurf. 23 teams were there, with about 60 people total viewing. Rams head coach Scott Linehan was there, as were the running backs coaches from Carolina and Kansas City. It was a very fast track, with players regularly putting up better times than they did at the Combine.

Anderson didn't even work out at the combine, so since we don't have a similar field to compare them on (which is all the combine is good for)

And also, Keith Jackson, an Arkansas DT, ran a 4.85 at the arkansas pro day, but at the combine, ran a 5.05. So his difference was .2 seconds, as was Carrikers, so I'm guessing the surfaces were probably similar.

Adams I've read more than once is ready now. Anderson might need some more time to develop. Pretty much every draft guide and observor is on the Adams bandwagon not as much with Anderson. Adams is 6 "5 260 pounds that's not that small and he has a big enough frame to put on another 15 pounds or so.

"Anderson often matched up very favorably with slow-footed college right tackles..Anderson has the potential to develop into a very solid pro." (Pro-football weekly draft guide)

Anderson.. is quick and has surprising speed from the backside..has all the tools to be a dominant end, but he will have to play with more leverage and aggressiveness more consistently. He probably will need a year or two of seasoning to bring out his best." (Sporting news draft guide)

If the main thing we want is someone to stop the run with some pass rushing skills looks like Carriker is the guy. I've read that Anderson can be decent stopping the run but I don't recall reading anywhere that he is a stud run stopper whereas Carriker reportedly is.

We can probably get Carriker and Anderson slightly lower in the draft. If we don't pick Adams at 6, he's likely gone. Which am cool with -- for me the key is trading down and getting another high draft pick.

Anderson didn't even work out at the combine, so since we don't have a similar field to compare them on (which is all the combine is good for)

And also, Keith Jackson, an Arkansas DT, ran a 4.85 at the arkansas pro day, but at the combine, ran a 5.05. So his difference was .2 seconds, as was Carrikers, so I'm guessing the surfaces were probably similar.

Perhaps, but they obviously felt it was enough of a difference maker to note it before showing any of the times for Nebraska's players.

Archived