Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

video of the top rated d-linemen in this year's draft

sabadahabada

Nice find, especially on a Jet site.:doh:

It made Adams and Branch look superior. However, I still think trading down a few spots and picking Carricker is the best option for the GW defense! Plus a third round additional pick would be welcomed.

Actually, we could trade down and maybe still be able to get Branch if he is indeed dropping in the draft as reported.

Adams looks like a disruptive playmaker...although size is a big issue with him. I 100% behind a trade down, we need two young guys along the DL, imo.
The only thing that bothers me about Adams' highlights is that they all show him getting to the QB untouched. I never really saw him play that much and I am curious as to how he would do bull rushing and in other situations that would require him to take on a OT a little more hands on.

The only thing that bothers me about Adams' highlights is that they all show him getting to the QB untouched.

I worry about the same thing with Adams, but I have worries about all the top 3 D-Lineman... Funny, the only one I don' tworry about is Okoye, and its hard to think about drafting him at 6 over all.

Guys in this draft I am not worried about becoming good players - CJ, Okoye, Landry. Thats it, otherwise I just have an iffy feeling about everyone else for different reasons.

edit: and Patrick Willis, him too I think is a lock to be good. Also thanks a lot for this post, that is one great video

The only thing that bothers me about Adams' highlights is that they all show him getting to the QB untouched. I never really saw him play that much and I am curious as to how he would do bull rushing and in other situations that would require him to take on a OT a little more hands on.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I noticed at least 2 of those sacks where he seemed pretty much unblocked. I remember reading a detailed scouting report on him that said something I hadn't really heard before and hence found it possibly dubious:

"Adams is one of the many excellent defensive end prospects from the 2007 Draft class. His college production is somewhat overrated, as many of his sacks came in pursuit or being unblocked"

http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=25&a=54

After seeing that video I'm now starting to think they were on to something.

I think they made a boo-boo in the Branch portion. He had 2 sacks in 2006, not 9. He also had 25 tackles in 2006, not 61.

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=2982&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=955

I think they accidentally put up his full college numbers as being just his 2006 numbers. I'm sure it was a mistake, but it could be a little misleading.

I have a hard time equating laziness with Branch after seeing this video. I saw a guy making plays, hustling after the ball, stuffing the run, collapsing the pocket and pressuring the QB.

Branch has bust written all over him:whoknows:

Not from what I just witnessed...

3rd down absolutely killed us last year. I would get so angry because every team seemed to convert on 3rd down, it was as if we were just giving it to them on 3rd down.

Teams converted 3rd downs on us at will last year because they were consistently in 3rd and short rather than 3rd and long. Why? Because we couldn't stop the run to save our lives. Plug the sieve that is the interior line and many of these problems go away. Draft Branch.

I have a hard time equating laziness with Branch after seeing this video. I saw a guy making plays, hustling after the ball, stuffing the run, collapsing the pocket and pressuring the QB.

Branch has bust written all over him:whoknows:

Not from what I just witnessed...

Well then again, hightlights are called highlights for a reason. I've read in various scouting reports that he has something of an inconsistent motor, takes off more plays than most would like, sometimes gives up too early in plays, and of course the recent news that he looked out of shape and struggled at his pro day workout. So while he does have the upside of being a space eater and flashes dominance, there are still serious questions about him.

a good run defense is nice and all, but this team is crippled by a lack of a pass rush. we need a stud DE badly to consistently pressure the qb, and when we get that u can bet that the rest of defense will return to dominance. a strong and consistent pass rush is vital to an effective defense. it'll cause double teams freeing up our other lineman, cause turnovers, and improve the secondary play since they will have less time to pass. all that being said i dont think branch will have that effect.

This is not true, see Giants "pincer" style attack. All any average QB has to do is read the defense, three step drop and dump to a TE over the middle and that "pincer" style speed rush becomes "monkey in the middle".

A monster DT creates more disruption than a speed rusher. You see... with a man like Branch on the D-line, offenses have to use a double team to stop him, which in turn leaves our man-beast (Carter) unblocked and free to decapitate the QB.

Plus, when Branch is not double teamed, he has shown the abitlity to crush the pocket from the front, leaving the QB no room to step up and throw.

All this leads to turnovers via fumble or interception. So... opposing teams just need to choose their poison.

Well then again, hightlights are called highlights for a reason. I've read in various scouting reports that he has something of an inconsistent motor, takes off more plays than most would like, sometimes gives up too early in plays, and of course the recent news that he looked out of shape and struggled at his pro day workout. So while he does have the upside of being a space eater and flashes dominance, there are still serious questions about him.

I had a feeling you would be chiming in Tim:D For the record, I would love to take Anderson, Okoye or Carriker - I guess you can throw Tank Tyler in there too for good measure. If Anderson's name is called as the Redskins pick @ 6 I will have no problems at all. I do think ideally we need two DL. Judging by this video alone, Branch seems like the ideal fit.

The interior of the line is the more suspect and vulnerable IMO. Having a guy like Branch, for instance, that can bring pressure up the middle, clog the middle and collapse the pocket would IMO go a long way toward improving the line and our defense as a whole. I'm no ardent supporter of Daniels mind you or Wynn - we need a DE that can pass rush and stop the run also, but a guy like Branch, if he can play like he demonstrated in the video - would be a very nice fit.

It's just a hunch. Maybe Anderson is the guy that can elevate everyones' game to the next level and not Branch or Okoye.

This is not true, see Giants "pincer" style attack. All any average QB has to do is read the defense, three step drop and dump to a TE over the middle and that "pincer" style speed rush becomes "monkey in the middle".

A monster DT creates more disruption than a speed rusher. You see... with a man like Branch on the D-line, offenses have to use a double team to stop him, which in turn leaves our man-beast (Carter) unblocked and free to decapitate the QB.

Plus, when Branch is not double teamed, he has shown the abitlity to crush the pocket from the front, leaving the QB no room to step up and throw.

All this leads to turnovers via fumble or interception. So... opposing teams just need to choose their poison.

I personally think that a DT and another DE are both needed. What we have to figure out is how to fill both needs with our remaining resources. Assuming that Carter will return to his old form, we definitely need a play maker on the other end. Last year it seemed like quarterbacks had all day to make a play. So, the bottom line is adding either a DE or DT will have benefits for this team. It is simply a matter of who is going to step up to fill the other void.

Trading down is an option but I think trading down will not get us a player that is ready to plan now with the exception of Carriker. So, I think we are going to have to make a move for a vet or pray that the guys we have will play better with the addition of one or the other (either a DT or DE). :)

P.s. I hope this post is not confusing. :)

A monster DT creates more disruption than a speed rusher.

This is true. But a monster DE (not just a tweener speed rusher) can create disruption and help collapse the pocket as well via a bull rush. A pure speed rusher like Adams who is 6'5 259 wouldn't be able to do that, especially in the NFL. A guy like Anderson who is 6'6 285 could do that. If you have that, plus a speed rusher on the other side (Carter) it can be very effective. Another reason I'd rather have a DE is that we, quite simply, only have one and he is 34 years old and not really producing anymore. Yes double teams help, but if we had Anderson, Griff, Golston (now with a year of experience under his belt and perhaps some more weight on his frame), and Carter I'm pretty sure they'd have a hard time single blocking every one of those guys. They'd still have to pick their poison and we would also have ourselves a huge, quick pass rusher who can play the run as well and has nothing but upside.

EDIT: That would also probably make our blitzes more effective as well, but I admit that would be the case with Branch too (if he drew doubles). So finally we wouldn't have to blitz everyone and the kitchen sink to get close to the QB.

Great find with that video. After watching it I'd have to say that I'll be excited with any of those guys.

My personal preference would be to get a DT seeing as how Philly has Andrews at guard, and now Dallas looks to have a beast in Davis at guard. 4 games having a matchup of a 340+ guard against a 300lb tackle would warrant using our pick to try to make a more favorable matchup. Sometimes you have to draft in order to counter what a division rival has added, and adding Branch could benefit us greatly with that regard. Stuffing the run on 1st & 2nd down would allow us to bring the house on 3rd down, let Carter do what he's proven he can do well in rush the edge, and with our tackles taking up more blocks, our blitzes will have a higher success rate and not get picked up as much as they did last year.

If we did go with DE, since our D completely lacks a good pass rush also, I wouldn't mind seeing Carriker in B&G. Anderson also looks like a great prospect, but for some reason I just see Carriker as being the work horse that gets it done against the run and pass which we desperately need. It's been said the system he played in didn't allow him to have favorable matchups to get pressure on the QB due to always being lined up against the tackle and tight end and plugging the gap for the LB to make the play. However he had 7 sacks and 12 passes deflected. Carter and Daniels combined with 9 sacks and 5 passes deflected last year. It would be awesome to have a DE that would demand a TE to help block, which would also be a great pick to counter division rivals weapons in Witten, Shockey, and Smith.

Teams converted 3rd downs on us at will last year because they were consistently in 3rd and short rather than 3rd and long. Why? Because we couldn't stop the run to save our lives. Plug the sieve that is the interior line and many of these problems go away. Draft Branch.

London Fletcher will help out with this too.

If we did go with DE, since our D completely lacks a good pass rush also, I wouldn't mind seeing Carriker in B&G. Anderson also looks like a great prospect, but for some reason I just see Carriker as being the work horse that gets it done against the run and pass which we desperately need. It's been said the system he played in didn't allow him to have favorable matchups to get pressure on the QB due to always being lined up against the tackle and tight end and plugging the gap for the LB to make the play. However he had 7 sacks and 12 passes deflected. Carter and Daniels combined with 9 sacks and 5 passes deflected last year. It would be awesome to have a DE that would demand a TE to help block, which would also be a great pick to counter division rivals weapons in Witten, Shockey, and Smith.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=amlEeXR519E

Check out the first play at the :40 mark. Anderson introduces himself to a Tackle, a TE, and RB. :D

I think Carriker will be a very solid NFL player but I think Anderson can be just as powerful and also has nothing but upside.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=amlEeXR519E

Check out the first play at the :40 mark. Anderson introduces himself to a Tackle, a TE, and RB. :D

I think Carriker will be a very solid NFL player but I think Anderson can be just as powerful and also has nothing but upside.

I definitely cannot argue that Anderson would not be a great pick up. I'd be excited for either one.

I was thinking that Carriker could be a great option in a trade down scenario allowing us to get another day 1 pick and still getting a much needed upgrade to the d-line, possibly getting 2 upgrades with the extra pick. I still feel that getting a big DT should be very high on our to do list.

I think Adams or Branch would be a great fit. Anderson reminds me of a young Phillip Daniels. (not bad though)

How so? Anderson is 3 inches taller, has a longer wingspan, is quicker (Daniels has never been much of a sackmaster, doesn't have the speed to edge rush much) and is a consensus upper 1st round draft talent, whereas Daniels went in the 4th. I know, that doesn't necessarily mean anything but I think Anderson has more of a chance of becoming a true stud than Daniels ever has, though he has been a serviceable starter.

London Fletcher will help out with this too.

True. But his job will be much easier provided he doesn't have to shed blocks by 330lb guards. That's where having a guy like Branch comes in to play. Eat up space and occupy blockers so that our LB's are free to make plays.

True. But his job will be much easier provided he doesn't have to shed blocks by 330lb guards. That's where having a guy like Branch comes in to play. Eat up space and occupy blockers so that our LB's are free to make plays.

I wouldn't exactly call 6-2 295 or 6-3 304 "massive two gap DTs" and they were the guys why played DT for the Bills last season (Tripplett and Anderson), but Fletcher still managed to log 146 tackles, 2 sacks, and 4 ints. I think one of the things people are overlooking in our terrible run stopping abilities is the simple fact that we had horrible tackling. There were plenty of times we could have stopped long runs or even intermediate ones; we had the guys there to make the stops. But we couldn't tackle to save our lives, and people were very often out of position (ahem, Highway 57). Fletcher has proven that he can shed tackles and get to the ball carrier without having John Henderson in front of him. He has also proven that he has the ability to read plays and make sure everyone is in the right place to make the tackles.

Archived