Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just wondering. Anyone else think a rookie DL won't even hit the field for us?

Art

Another thing I forgot to mention, is that today Michael Smith was kind of beating around the bush that Tampa might even be leaning towards not drafting Johnson at 4. If by some snowball's chance in hell he falls to us at 6, do you take him? Or do you accumulate an ungodly amount of draft picks from some team wanting to trade up and get him at 6?

I think you have to take him if he falls to 6. He's just too good.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is that today Michael Smith was kind of beating around the bush that Tampa might even be leaning towards not drafting Johnson at 4. If by some snowball's chance in hell he falls to us at 6, do you take him? Or do you accumulate an ungodly amount of draft picks from some team wanting to trade up and get him at 6?

You really have no choice. It's like the Jacobs pick a few years ago, only writ large. Jacobs was not a guy we expected to see. When he was there we had to take him. He didn't work out. Johnson may not either, but, if he's there, his value to the offense has the potential to make us the best in the league IF he's a successful player. No team would be able to boast the level of skill talent and solid offensive line and young QB that we'd have if Johnson was the pick AND he wasn't a bust. :).

A couple of years ago I thought we should take Winslow for a similar reason. I thought he was a good enough talent that if successful he'd make everything else better. Turns out he's had some problems to keep us from ever knowing how much of that would have been the case, but, if Johnson is a player who lives up to his billing, there is no player in this draft who makes the entire team better like he would.

I just don't believe this is even possible :).

I really hope we trade down and somehow get Landry. That guy is a monster.

I think this could be possible. If Brady Quinn falls to us, which is a good possibility, hopefully Miami will be tempted to leapfrog Minnesta and Houston if they are enamored with him. We can trade our #6 (1600 points) for their #9 (1300), along with their 3rd (200) and 4th (80). Then we still grab Landry at #9 before Atlanta. Then we can spend the picks we acquired on DL prospects instead of wasting the #6 on one of these high-risk guys like Branch or Adams. Or we could even probably still grab Okoye or Branch at #9 if we were so inclined....

I think you have to take him if he falls to 6. He's just too good.

I think so, too. But I am someone who would sacrifice a high pick next year to trade up and get him. I know any pick is a crapshoot, but my gut tells me this guy is going to be a legend. So I think this could be one exception to trading away more draft picks, as we do so often. This guy is going to be too good.

I just think the defense is going to be much better this year even without a stud rookie added in the draft. Our offense needs another weapon I think. :2cents:

I'm going to have to start looking more seriously at Landry than I expected is all I'm saying :).

Doesn't it almost seem like the writing is on the wall?

Why in the world would they ship Arch deluxe out of town, and remain complacent with guys like Pierson Prioleau - who could be a solid starter IF he can stay healthy; solid special teamers and rotational guys in Vernon Fox, and Omar Stoutmire ;) There's got to be some concern there.

The ideal scenario would be to pickup a safety and defensive lineman in the first two rounds, but somehow trading down and accumulating more picks.

I agree with you though, I don't know how much longer Mr. Wynn can hold up; I did use a quote from two years ago.

I've only seen one person mention the possibility that we've already got the run-stuffer we need on the roster - Anthony Montgomery. He was somewhat of a project taken in the 5th round, but the staff has been happy with him. I could see him contribute much more this season, especially if Joe isn't ready to go, or just not the same player anymore.

With a rotation of Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, Salave'a and Bosco, I honestly don't see the need to spend a first rounder on another DT.

DE? That's another story. Wynn and Daniels are solid, but for how much longer? We've been relatively lucky with Daniels the past two seasons, but who's to say the injury bug doesn't strike again this year? Wynn will continue to quietly do his job, but for how much longer? The man will be 33 when the seasons starts. Carter came on strong last year, but which Carter will we see? First half or second half Carter?

For these reasons, I believe we need to take Jamal Anderson. Will he start right away? Probably not, but who does in GW's defense?

With all skill positions being set on the offense and our LB corp starting to shape up, I would say a big body to compliment Carter Daniesl and Giff and possible rotation with Salevea (spelling) would help. Need a big body that can keep those OGs and OTs off of Fletcher and help keep free to go side line-to-sideline.

Doesn't it almost seem like the writing is on the wall?

Why in the world would they ship Arch deluxe out of town, and remain complacent with guys like Pierson Prioleau - who could be a solid starter IF he can stay healthy; solid special teamers and rotational guys in Vernon Fox, and Omar Stoutmire ;) There's got to be some concern there.

The ideal scenario would be to pickup a safety and defensive lineman in the first two rounds, but somehow trading down and accumulating more picks.

I agree with you thought, I don't know how much longer Wynn can last - afterall, I did use a quote from two years ago.

LOL. The writing on the wall? ARCH DID NOT PLAY LAST YEAR. Stodmire will replace Arch.

The Redskins will trade up for Calvin Johnson. Gibbs did not go to Georgia Tech pro day for a " Smokescreen"

And why you draft another safety?

LOL. The writing on the wall? ARCH DID NOT PLAY LAST YEAR. Stodmire will replace Arch.

The Redskins will trade up for Calvin Johnson. Gibbs did not go to Georgia Tech pro day for a " Smokescreen"

:doh: Redskins will NOT trade up for anyone. "Stodmire" will NOT replace Arch - Prioleau will. And you draft another safety because the Strong Safeties we have are old - and we need a playmaker back there.

I've only seen one person mention the possibility that we've already got the run-stuffer we need on the roster - Anthony Montgomery.

I think a lot of people assume that he's been a bust so far - including myself. However, I was thinking about that the other day, and I realized that the reason you don't hear his name very often is because he's the backup for Griffin - he hardly ever comes out of the game.

The jury is still out on Montgomery. We will find out what he's worth this year.

:doh: Redskins will NOT trade up for anyone. "Stodmire" will NOT replace Arch - Prioleau will. And you draft another safety because the Strong Safeties we have are old - and we need a playmaker back there.

We are not staying at 6. I won't agree or disagree with you, but I will say we won't stay put. We are either trading up for CJ or trading down for Landry and more picks. I think the pieces of the draft puzzle are starting to fall in place.

I'm going to have to start looking more seriously at Landry than I expected is all I'm saying :).

Strengths: Possesses good height, decent bulk and the frame to get bigger. Shows good fluidity and top-end speed. He consistently gets a quick break on the ball and diagnoses the run very quickly. He shows good toughness and strength in run support, especially for his size. He fills hard and shows adequate power at the point of attack. Sideline-to-sideline playmaker versus the run. He displays better-than-average range in zone coverage and he also can match up one-on-one versus slot receivers in the NFL. He is an instinctive playmaker with adequate-to-good ball skills. He has a good mental capacity and coaches rave about his ability to pick things up quickly. He is a good leader in the secondary and does a great job of getting everyone in position. He has tremendous experience as a four-year starter at the highest collegiate level. He also has been extremely versatile in LSU's secondary throughout his career.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk. Until he gets bigger he will not be able to match up as easily in-the-box at the NFL level as he has in college. He will misjudge the ball in the air on occasion and he still can improve his recognition skills when playing in deep-middle zone coverage.

Overall: Landry played in all 14 games (10 starts) as a true freshman in 2003 and recorded 80 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions, four pass-breakups, and one blocked kick. He was knocked out of the Arkansas game (11/28) with a concussion. In 2004, Landry started all 12 games finishing the season with 92 total tackles, five tackles for loss, three sacks, four interceptions, six pass-breakups, and one forced fumble. He once again started every game (13) in 2005 registering 69 total tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack, three interceptions, and eight pass-breakups. In 2006 he started all 13 games, earning first team All-American and first team All-SEC honors (both media and coaches), after collecting 74 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, one blocked kick, and three interceptions. Over the past four seasons, Landry has seen time at free safety, strong safety, and cornerback.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10878&univLogin02=stateChanged

Instictive, leader, QB in the secondary, can play corner.....sounds like exactly what we want next to ST. :) Not to mention he ran a 4.37 at the combine. The versatility in the defense would be astounding with that kind of pair deep in the secondary. Can you honestly say PP (coming off an ACL), Fox or Omar are starting caliber SS's? I think that's at least a question mark, makes a lot of sense when you look at the depth of the DL in the draft.

I have a sneaky feeling we'll see Springs playing a lot of safety, mayberotating him & PP at Safty and CB to confuse QB's with whom is covering who, and what coverage we are in

much like PP did in 05

I think a lot of people assume that he's been a bust so far - including myself. However, I was thinking about that the other day, and I realized that the reason you don't hear his name very often is because he's the backup for Griffin - he hardly ever comes out of the game.

The jury is still out on Montgomery. We will find out what he's worth this year.

I don't think you can fairly call anybody, excluding a kicker or punter, drafted in the 5th round a bust. They are called projects.

I doubt if any DL player will start for a couple of years for us.

However, if Thomas or Pederson fall to us I think we have to take them.

AP gives insurance if CP goes down again and adds some new twists to the offense.

Thomas is a necessity up front on the OL and will make our OL solid for years to come.

If Quinn drops and those 2 dont then we trade down a few slots and try for Brown on the OL, or whatever DE is left.

We are not staying at 6. I won't agree or disagree with you, but I will say we won't stay put. We are either trading up for CJ or trading down for Landry and more picks. I think the pieces of the draft puzzle are starting to fall in place.

that is what was said when we drafted Taylor, then the next draft with Rogers, yet we stayed put to get the obvious choice. I think it is more likely the Skins stay put to nab Jamaal Andersen

I doubt if any DL player will start for a couple of years for us.

However, if Thomas or Pederson fall to us I think we have to take them.

AP gives insurance if CP goes down again and adds some new twists to the offense.

Thomas is a necessity up front on the OL and will make our OL solid for years to come.

If Quinn drops and those 2 dont then we trade down a few slots and try for Brown on the OL, or whatever DE is left.

Really? We already have Betts and Thomas is an OT........I'm pretty sure we'd be looking for an OG on the line. :whoknows:

You may not have heard me say this, but I also think we're overdue for a defensive end; I would prefer one over a safety.

I think you take Calvin Johnson if he falls to you, but in no way does it make any sense to trade up (and get rid of more picks) to get him. We have way too many other needs at this point.

Arch didn't play last year? You mean he didn't start. But they had every intention in starting the guy when they signed him; he had the contract to prove it. I think you are overvaluing Stoutmire's value. I don't think he's a starting strong safety.

that is what was said when we drafted Taylor, then the next draft with Rogers, yet we stayed put to get the obvious choice. I think it is more likely the Skins stay put to nab Jamaal Andersen

Aren't all the DL stocks falling? I heard Carricker and Okoye were studs during their workouts, but haven't all the other ones not impressed as much? I can't see us staying put for a DLineman this year. I think Gibbs and Williams think the D will better this year no matter what. PP being out all season ruined everything our D was supposed to do this year. He was the most underrated injury loss I have ever seen in a Redskins uniform. He instantly makes our defense middle of the pack next year, and not bottom 2.

Basically, to sum it up since I ran off course, the more and more I think about it, I see us moving up to get CJ. But I have been wrong plenty before. I am just enjoying the ride right now. I love this time of year.

You may not have heard me say this, but I also think we're overdue for a defensive end; I would prefer one over a safety.

I think you take Calvin Johnson if he falls to you, but in no way does it make any sense to trade up (and get rid of more picks) to get him. We have way too many other needs at this point.

YOU do not fill needs in the draft. Draft picks do not start for a playoff team in their rookie years.

You will needs through free agency. Getting cheap guys that will fill the role.

The draft is to get prospects for thhe future.

The Redskins made that mistake of drafting for need once with Rogers. We did not need a Merriman at the time because we had Lavar. But how good would Merriman look now?

You needs today might be different next year. Thats why you draft the best prospect. Espically when you are this high in the draft.

So I remain in the camp of wanting to take a defensive lineman with our first pick. I think we need another beefy interior tackle to shore the run game up, free the ends up, free the linebackers up and allow us to play defense without bringing an 8th man in the box against the run.

You take Branch, who is the player I most covet for us, and, honestly, I can't say for sure he starts for this team. A healthy Salave'a does the dirty work necessary to make the defensive line better. No rookie will beat out Griffin. I don't know that you can say such a player would do anything but increase our depth and rotation while helping protect against injury.

If say Branch is actually a good player (and I have serious doubts about him right now) I think he starts over Joe in a heartbeat. Golston beat him out last year even when Joe got healthy. And Golston is not a 2 gap DT that we really need, he is a 1 gap DT that would be better playing with a bigger DT. So Branch, if he is not a lazy guy and works and play hard, starts over Joe right off the bat.

If you take an end, any end, it's also very unlikely he starts. Carter is entrenched and really started to play GREAT for us down the stretch. Daniels and Wynn are seasoned, proven pros who actually do their job -- i.e. holding the line and edge against the run -- as well as any doing that job at their spot. I doubt any end we pick does anything but come in on third down for most of the year.

Totally disagree. Carter is going to start, no doubt. However Wynn and Daneils are real liabities right now. Even moreso than our DT's at this point IMO. Neither one of them can get any pressure on a QB, and Daniels is 34, and showing it in run support. Wynn hasnt been decent in years. Basically I dont think these guys can do much ot stop the run or create pressure. A DE drafted might now start on day 1, but if he didnt it would be more of GW hanging on to the old guard instead of playing the better player. Rumors coming out at the end of the season pointed to Rocky being ready by game 4 to start, but he was backing up Holdman all season. Not because Holdman was playing better, but because we had a idiot as a position coach. This might happen, but as bad as those 2 played last year and being way over the hill it ownt because they're better players.

And I get to thinking about this because Landry likely starts the moment he hits the field, barring a holdout at the start of camp. Johnson likely starts at receiver. You take Joe Thomas if he falls and he likely starts, or, you move someone to guard to start him. While I understand why we go defensive line, I can't help but wonder if the other areas are more clearly improved by a player in this draft than would the line be for the upcoming season.

Maybe there is more than smoke to our interest in Landry, even with Omar back.

I doubt Landry starts for the same reason Taylor didnt start, or why a DE might not start the opener. CJ probably would start though over BL and ARE, Gibbs will play a rookie there..

The thing is, this

A DT/NT wouldn't start until someone goes down......
is guaranteed to happen. Neither Salave'a nor Griffin are going to last the whole season. They have both missed at least two games each of the past three years, and Big Joe has missed significantly more.

They will get dinged up, and a rookie will get a chance to step in. Most importantly, of the 8 games that Griffin has missed, we have won only 1 of them. Golston is good and Montgomery has potential, but there's still a huge dropoff when Griffin goes out. Having a quality player that we can even just rotate in when the inevitable injury comes will be worth at least 2 wins this year. Just having healthy bodies up front to occupy blockers and let London Fletcher make tackles will be the key to our defense this year.

Archived