Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arch for a 6 rd pick (super mega-merged)

CPstretch

The Washington Redskins have agreed to trade safety Adam Archuleta to the Chicago Bears for a conditional sixth-round draft pick. Archuleta restructured his contract to soften the salary-cap hit the Redskins will have to take this season, and now Washington will get back a draft pick for him. Bears coach Lovie Smith was Archuleta's defensive coordinator in St. Louis and has coveted the safety since he took over as Chicago's head coach in January 2004. He finally has gotten his man.

From http://www.nfl.com

what did you expect?

Some of you folks are clearly delusional homers.

He was one of our leading tacklers while he was starting.. Was he not?

He was a victim of NO PASS RUSH.

Properly used can you honestly say he isnt worth more then a 6th rounder?

Do you not think he is going to make us regret him leaving when we play the Bears this year?

I'm just glad the Arch Deluxe issue has been dealt with--I, like many other ES fans I'm guessing, am just shaking my head that our one year experiment with AA was so costly. I think this reinforces in many of our minds that a true GM is needed to address our sometimes questionable moves in FA. I don't think the FO has done a terrible job overall as I think we've made some positive moves, however, it's these more egregious errors that boggle my mind. A 6th rounder? Not ideal, but 'nuff said. It's done and done and let's move forward to the draft...

Lovie Smith has been trying to get safety Adam Archuleta since he arrived in Chicago. Smith was Archuleta's defensive coordinator in St. Louis.

Adam Archuleta

Archuleta

On Tuesday, the Bears completed a trade that brings Archuleta to Smith and the Bears. The Bears gave a 2007 draft choice, believed to be a sixth-round choice, to get the Redskins safety. Archuleta struggled in his first season with the Redskins in 2006 and was scheduled to be a backup this season in Washington.

To complete this complicated deal, the Bears had to rework his contract. Archuleta had a guaranteed $5 million option bonus that was due last week. With hopes of getting a trade, Archuleta delayed the execution of that option bonus until Wednesday. Faced with the deadline, everyone worked on getting a deal done. The Bears will pay Archuleta $8.1 million over the next three years. The Redskins rid themselves of his $25 million contract. A total of $5 million of Archuleta's new deal in Chicago is guaranteed.

The Bears were looking for a play-maker at the safety position. Smith created defenses involving Archuleta when they were in St. Louis. In Chicago, Archuleta will have more opportunities to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

Looks like a pretty good deal for us...they took his deal and we got a pick. :applause:

Archived