Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs at GT pro day

lavar1156

I'll admit I only saw one GT game last year, but in it I saw Johnson throwing a mini-TO tantrum on the sideline. He was berating his QB to some teamates. Where did all this "good character" stuff come from?

There is no such thing as a can't miss player. Taking CJ is a huge mistake. We have millions, and millions, and millions tied up in WRs. Have you guys ever heard of Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, David Terrel, Peter Warrick, ect....?

If CJ is on the board when we pick at 1.06 - and that's highly unlikely; perhaps more unlikely for him than any other player - the value he'll have in trade will be ridiculously large. We should be able to clean up in a trade down scenario in much the same way that the Chargers did with Manning.

I still say - great receiver - but teams are built on the lines

we have a very good OL and it got better with Yoder being resigned - like a small tackle out there

but the DL allowed 137 ypg and a 4.5 ypc avg - it won't do a lot of good to have a star receiver on the sidelines when the opponents are controlling the ball all game long because we can't stop the run

I don't care who we have a LB - if the FBs and OL can get free to block 'em because the DL can't contain them, we won't do much better than we did last year.

The safeties will have to continue to come up into run support just like they did last year (which is why everyone is beating up on AA - he was having to play so far up he couldn't help but be out of position and Taylor had a less than stellar year) and the passing of our opponents will not be in any jeopardy

Not to mention that our really super DL only managed to garner 19 sacks (and a bunch of them weren't done by the DL anyway)

If he is there - trade down for several picks and get DE and DT that could cement the line for years to come

I still say - great receiver - but teams are built on the lines

we have a very good OL and it got better with Yoder being resigned - like a small tackle out there

but the DL allowed 137 ypg and a 4.5 ypc avg - it won't do a lot of good to have a star receiver on the sidelines when the opponents are controlling the ball all game long because we can't stop the run

I don't care who we have a LB - if the FBs and OL can get free to block 'em because the DL can't contain them, we won't do much better than we did last year.

The safeties will have to continue to come up into run support just like they did last year (which is why everyone is beating up on AA - he was having to play so far up he couldn't help but be out of position and Taylor had a less than stellar year) and the passing of our opponents will not be in any jeopardy

Not to mention that our really super DL only managed to garner 19 sacks (and a bunch of them weren't done by the DL anyway)

If he is there - trade down for several picks and get DE and DT that could cement the line for years to come

I enjoy watching defense, maybe because in my estimation, defense is a lot harder to play (exception of the QB) because you are in many ways reactionary, there is a lot of instinct going on when the defense is out there, plus defensive big plays are harder to come by. but whatever, I think the offense will run very smoothly, i guess an analogy is like when you drive manual, and you let out the clutch in first, the engine sputters a little bit and doesn't fully rev cleanly, i expect next year, the offense is gonna be purring pretty good. But we need dline bad. you cant win without dominating the trenches. People talk about how Gibbs was a mastermind because he won 3 superbowls with 3 different QBs, what they dont mention as much is how he had a nasty front 4 dlineman and one of the greatest offensive lines ever. If the Skin's had a dline now that was comprable to that of the 80s, I could look like a Pro bowl player. It hurts to watch ****ty defense cause it always seems like you are in come back mode. it's like limiting and opponent to a FG is always a win, in some cases it is, if it's like peyton manning, but if it's oakland or some crap team, it's horrific.

Sometimes you have to overlook what appears to be team needs for a talent like this. I mean sure we need a DE, but we can easily work out something to get one, but I just cannot see passing on this guy should he fall.

Now trading up for him, i.e losing more picks....no way!

There are so many ways for us to get a DE. We can still trade Springs, we can still look at the kid from the CFL(I believe), the one we signed awhile back, or we can look elsewhere. I for one think Carter will be a beast this season, whoever we throw on the opposite side will look better because of him.

Wow. How easily a lot of you are distracted by WRs. The hype machine for this guy is unbelievable. Give me Anderson or Okoye for my money. I'd rather pick up a guy that can stop the run or get to the QB than a guy who we don't really need. We got plenty of ways to move the ball and score TDs. We don't have a lot of ways to stop the run and get to the QB. We need that balance.

Wow. How easily a lot of you are distracted by WRs. The hype machine for this guy is unbelievable. Give me Anderson or Okoye for my money. I'd rather pick up a guy that can stop the run or get to the QB than a guy who we don't really need. We got plenty of ways to move the ball and score TDs. We don't have a lot of ways to stop the run and get to the QB. We need that balance.

we need youth on the defense, especially the dline, we have never had a front four that gets pressure since Gibbs 1, a dominating front 4 means you control what the other teams offense can do.

It is truly significant that DS and Gibbs both attended the Calvin Johnson workout yesterday at GT. I can't remember when ... if ever ... Snyder went to one ... apparntly Snyder and Gibbs agree that getting a No. 2 receiver of the likes of CJ is even more important than the defensive needs at this point. My faith has been confirmed.

Now if some offers a Ricky Williams type deal in a trade up for Calvin Johnson, we would be stupid not to take it

Depending on the deal of course would determine the course of action

But for those who have seen Johnson play several times, you realize what a special talent he is and how amazing it is what he did with a subpar QB and playing against very good ACC defenses

I agree. It is possible for us to find very good, or at least decent defensive lineman later in the draft...however there's nobody in this draft with the skills of Johnson.

In order to get CJ the Skins will have to trade with Oakland and assure that Oakland gets the guy it really wants. This is how it will go down: Raiders take CJ; Detroit trades No. 2 to Skins for CPortis (or Betts) and this year's No. 6. Skins select JMarcus Russell. Skins then trade Russell and next year's No. 1 to Raiders for CJ.

It would be a nice luxury to have a guy like CJ in this offense...imagine Moss, CJ, ARE and Cooley with Portis/Betts out of the backfield as the short, medium and deep threats for Campbell while being protected by our O-line!

*slap*

Uhh, oh. Sorry. Fantasizing there for a minute. Fact is, CJ would be a fantastic "luxury" but there is no way this team can afford to overlook the D-line AGAIN this year...especially after the troubles it had against the run last year and the overall negative affect it had ont he rest of the defense. Just go back and watch the replay of the Titans game or the last Giants game.

If CJ were to somehow fall to the Skins at #6 (there is NO way he will get by the Bucs, IMO) then I say we draft him and then trade him in order to absolutely fleece the living daylights out of another team for the rights to him ala Eli from SD to NY a couple of years ago.

:logo: :logo: :point2sky

If he drops to 6, the best case is that it opens up a ton of possible trade partners.

Of course, it could be more smoke and mirrors.. maneuvering and keeping people guessing what we're doing,,, maybe seeing if Mike Shanahan tips his hand a little.

And, should we pick him, I wouldn't be very happy considering other needs, but I won't be disappointed in him either (I hope.)

Whatever their motivation, it's a productive little walk around the workout. I like them playing head games, Shows me they're getting shrewder. I think the Bly deal is not dead, just on hold. In past years we'd have thrown the kitchen sink at Denver to get what we want. Now it looks like we're playing it a little closer to the vest.

~Bang

It is truly significant that DS and Gibbs both attended the Calvin Johnson workout yesterday at GT. I can't remember when ... if ever ... Snyder went to one ... apparntly Snyder and Gibbs agree that getting a No. 2 receiver of the likes of CJ is even more important than the defensive needs at this point. My faith has been confirmed.

well supposedly yesterday we were talking about trading up to get jamarcus russell, so im sure thats gonna happen too!

It's moves like this that have gotten us in this hole we're in now. How does anyone know how "special" he will be. If he is still there at 6 (which he won't) trade down for more picks to fill the immediate needs. All his stats are nice, but how do you know he won't be a bust? Get the right pieces to this puzzle,(de, dl, secondary help) and get back to the Super Bowl. It's been way too long.

Yeah although we have bigger needs . . . it sure would be hard to pass on a talent like this. The guy is unreal. And he is potentially the biggest impact player at this position to come into the league since Randy Moss was a rookie and had 17 tds . . .

for every Randy Moss, there's a Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Koren Robinson et al. these guys were also dubbed "biggest talent @ WR in decades" when they came out. even when drafting VERY high its still a gamble. that's why we need to draft where we NEED help (DL). how would we feel a year from now if we wasted this pick on a position we did not need, and the guy turned out to be a bust?

if we draft a DL, and he turns out to be a bust, we can at least say we made the smart pick at the time.

Archived