Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I didn't blame Smoot and won't blame Cooley.

Art

Many people have problems with how our front office operates. Most of those complaints are simply invalid worries of fools.

If your talking about those who feel we won't compensate Cooley to re-sign... yes. I only wish they would make more Cooley jerseys available. Just bought a Taylor retro (before the draft) on eBay, and I have a feeling I have only a year or 2 to wear it as him still being on our roster. :(

Thats how it works around here.We will let Cooley go and then sign another 3 or 4 players.Then all will be fine until we have another losing season.I for one will be really really mad if we let Cooley go.Then again it wouldn't surprise me at all.Nothing surprises me with this team anymore.I don't know if i will ever see them win a SB in my time and i am only 22.
I witnessed my first Skins winning season at 20.

First Skins playoff game at 21.

First playoff win and SB appearance at 22.

Witnessed the first SB win at 33.

We've all "endured" the lull since 91.

So, chin-up bro, it can still happen.....

Many fans have made comments about Smoot since his return that he left to "chase the money". He certainly did leave for more money than we paid, but, the measure of anger we, as fans, should work up for that in the case of Smoot and players like him is less anger than we should work up for other players we come across.

Here's why.

Smoot was a player who fell out of the first round. His rookie contract was modest in comparison to others. As fans, we identified Smoot, as we have Cooley, as a player who'd outperformed the value of his contract. As a player who deserved an early re-up. The team never did. And when his time came to be free, Smoot, having not made much money in four years, took as much as he could possibly make in Year 5. It was the mistake of the team, not a character flaw in the player, that led to the loss of Smoot.

Just as it will for Cooley if the team doesn't act soon. Just as it would have for Betts had the team not DRAMATICALLY overpaid Betts based on his performance to the point of his extension in his career, yet, what very quickly became an apparent bargain.

Many people have problems with how our front office operates. Most of those complaints are simply invalid worries of fools. The most significant flaw we have as a football operation is not identifying the "core" player sooner in his contract, and locking him up at prices that, for the time of extension are more than the player deserves, but, that turn out to be far less than he'd get if his progression remains in line.

This means players like Smoot then, Betts recently and Cooley now need to be resigned well before they enter a contract year. Players who drastically outplay their contract, who are young and popular and epitomize what we're about as a team, need to be identified more rapidly and solidified. You do that, and you find such players don't wind up being free until the end of their prime. At that point, they might take less to simply stay put. See Darrell Green as an example.

Right now there are few enough on the roster who deserve this consideration. Cooley needs money now. Do it NOW. We don't know enough about Rocky, yet, but, if the team believes he's the answer for the next four or five years, sign HIM NOW to a contract like Betts, which is more than he deserves, but far less than a contract for a consistent starter.

If we start doing this, while still enjoying the reasonably solid acquisition rate we have had in the past, we will start being able to really build on something. After this year will be too late to get a good deal on a guy like Cooley. But, Campbell might be the guy you identify next.

Well said Art, well said indeed.

Great post and good points, Art, and I agree if Cooley gets to see free agency he is as good as gone. My worry is that his agent will have seen the market trend from this past off season and demand some outrageous monies and as a result Cooley will hit the open market...

I think cooley will give up some money to stay here..

He doesn't love you as much as you love him. Sorry about that. It's business.

His agent already has 1 foot out the door. I hope he gets an acceptable offer from the Skins before the season starts. It's already getting late to lock down ST for reasonable coin now. Cooley needs to be addressed before camp, IMO.

Nice Post on many levels. I'm certain that we will do everything in our power to lock Cooley up. I'm not sure how the cap will be affected once the season starts and the roster is set, but if we're able to move on locking him up, I can't imagine we'd hesitate. Something tells me before the 07' season is over we'll give him an extension. Hell, maybe we've already started talking to his agent. He is the special, core, player that needs to be here for the duration of his career.

Nice Post Art,

HTTR

Eventually we will have to do what the titans did. Blow the frickin team up and start from scratch. I really just do not see how we can keep avoiding total destruction year in and year out and continue to go after free agents. Eventually it will catch up to us.

Eventually we will have to do what the titans did. Blow the frickin team up and start from scratch. I really just do not see how we can keep avoiding total destruction year in and year out and continue to go after free agents. Eventually it will catch up to us.

Depends. The difference between the Skins and the Titans is that the Redskins have an owner who's willing to constantly give out large signing bonuses and pay players to redo their contracts. And as long as he continues to show a willingness to do that, it's what seperates our situation from most teams in the league.

Now, if they'd just sign and keep the right players... we'd be on to something.

Depends. The difference between the Skins and the Titans is that the Redskins have an owner who's willing to constantly give out large signing bonuses and pay players to redo their contracts. And as long as he continues to show a willingness to do that, it's what seperates our situation from most teams in the league.

Now, if they'd just sign and keep the right players... we'd be on to something.

Agreed. I think next year we should have some old veterens getting off of their big contracts from 04.

Last years spending spree btw was atrocious. I think everyone can agree with that.

It is painful that something so patently obvious to everyone else may need to be spelt out to the Front Office. Otherwise why start a thread on it?!

We need to identify which players we want to keep for the next five years and Cooley surely has to be one of them. :applause:

The player needs to make money. Doesn't matter (money wise) if it's spread over his career or comes in chunks when he hits FA. I'm sure most players would like it to be spread over though - boom and bust sucks.

It also works out cheaper for us if we do it (and get it right) without cheating the player. A few million extra early that the guy can invest versus straight hard cash later. Then there is the warm fuzzy feeling they get from knowing the team values them and are taking care of them. It's that warm fuzzy feeling that keeps players at the club.

Cooley needs money now. Do it NOW.

:applause: If there is one thing every Redskins fan can agree on it's that quote right there.

He's as important to us as Gonzalez is to KC and Gates is to SD so it's time we compensate him as such.

I agree with Art's idea. I think we could have / should have done the same thing with both Dockery and Pierce. It's no suprise that our FO can't pick good FAs or succeed in the draft when they can't even identify good, worthy players that they get to see EVERY DAY!

Yes, they did the right thing by NOT signing Dock for the incredible price that the Bills paid for him, but who was offering that kind of cash a year ago? Nobody.

I agree that this is the single most glaring deficiency with our FO.

I seriously doubt you mean to go for as doltish as you appear, so, if you don't mean to, understand, you're achieving the unexpected. Archuleta was not, ever, expected to be a reserve. He played his way into that role very quickly. He wound up starting because Prioleau was out so fast, leaving us with three safeties. Obviously, once his limitations were apparent, it was equally apparent he was getting more money than a player who was going to be so limited could be said to earn.

Never doubt the coaching staff or FO. Wasn't it readily apparent that Archuleta was limited LONG before he came to the Redskins?

The offer we made for Clark was for being a backup, which is the reason why he signed on with Pittsburgh for more money, because they wanted a starter. We wanted him back, just not as the starter.

Arch was signed to be the starter. It just happened it didn't work out as planned.

Clark signed with Pitt for something like 5 years 7M right?

Thats not exactly big bucks. I'd say that 40M for Archuleta was the bigger stretch.

Archived