Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You can find interesting stuff via Google Maps.

Baculus

I thought this was an interesting Google Maps image I found while just randomly zooming around Iraq.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&om=1&z=18&ll=33.523768,44.255944&spn=0.00203,0.003648&t=h

(Hopefully the correct image appears.)

I was amazed to see the huge First Cav division symbol - it is so distinctive and really stands out - and it was neat to see the choppers to left the image.

While zooming around south of this area, I often saw traffic jams out of nowhere - I was assuming that these may have been security check points, or maybe traffic jams caused by military vehicles.

Iraq, in this region, appears to be lots of farmland, dirt, random towns and structures.

I was going to post something similar earlier today then something came up

and i put it off , wtg :) Look a little south of this location im postinf for a big clearing in the trees with 2 satellite dishes.

Found this in my neighborhood, after talking with some neighbors, seems

National Airport, aka Reagan Airport in DC, used to use it for planes approaching from the south, it is no longer used said my neighbor. Its all fenced off

and stuff , and i never see any weird vehichles traveling to it, the only road

to it, is a cross street from mine (Locust street) its the horseshoe just north of these satellite dishes if you follow the road that leads to it. Planes still use the approach though and fly almost directly over our house/neighborhood.

Switch to satellite view once the map loads

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=8912+locust+street+waldorf+md+20603&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=26.812565,63.984375&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=9&ll=38.391186,-77.387695&spn=1.670505,3.4552

That is cool, Scottie. Some of those aircraft look like old MiGs. Also, that structure south of the "circles" is pretty crazy looking. It is probably some sort of huge Saddam-era building of some type. That is just a fascinating area to look around.

Also, if you scroll the map west from my house till you hit the water/river, then follow it south a ways along the coast of the river, you'll come to Mallow Bay that Candace posted about, yea im pretty close to that place, i showed my wife and said "hey lets go for a kayake(sp?) ride sometime to here" she looked at me like i was off my rocker :D

• 1 year later...
I was going to post something similar earlier today then something came up

and i put it off , wtg :) Look a little south of this location im postinf for a big clearing in the trees with 2 satellite dishes.

Found this in my neighborhood, after talking with some neighbors, seems

National Airport, aka Reagan Airport in DC, used to use it for planes approaching from the south, it is no longer used said my neighbor. Its all fenced off

and stuff , and i never see any weird vehichles traveling to it, the only road

to it, is a cross street from mine (Locust street) its the horseshoe just north of these satellite dishes if you follow the road that leads to it. Planes still use the approach though and fly almost directly over our house/neighborhood.

Switch to satellite view once the map loads

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=8912+locust+street+waldorf+md+20603&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=26.812565,63.984375&layer=&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z=9&ll=38.391186,-77.387695&spn=1.670505,3.4552

Haha we used to climb up into those dishes and what not and explore that area back when we were teenagers. Probably could have died/been seriously injured but it was crazy all the stuff in that abandoned area. Many a teenager has lost their virginity back there I'm sure.

I've got one for folks......

(replacing link)

Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, PA... home of the Pennsic War. It looks like the photo was taken shortly before Pennsic war XXXV (August 2006) because the field doesn't look that nice and clean AFTER 14000 people descend on the site for two weeks. That weird squiggly line underneath the roman numerals cut into the hillside is the outline of the Castle Frontage.

If you ever wanted to know where you'd end up if you dug a hole straight through the earth and came out the other side, now you can:

http://www.antipodemap.com/

Looks like we'd all end up in the middle of the ocean. :)

Hmm, so we DON'T end up in China. The Looney Tunes cartoons lied.

Out of curiosity, I dug from Beijing. You end up in Argentina, near the Atlantic coast.

Hmm, so we DON'T end up in China. The Looney Tunes cartoons lied.

Out of curiosity, I dug from Beijing. You end up in Argentina, near the Atlantic coast.

Not exactly in the middle of the ocean...I'm damn near Australia...or however far away 1 computer screen inch is.

• 4 weeks later...

Blurred Out: 51 Things You Aren't Allowed to See on Google Maps

IT Security Editors

Depending on which feature you use, Google Maps offers a satellite view or a street-level view of tons of locations around the world. You can look up landmarks like the Pyramids of Egypt or the Great Wall of China, as well as more personal places, like your ex’s house. But for all of the places that Google Maps allows you to see, there are plenty of places that are off-limits. Whether it’s due to government restrictions, personal-privacy lawsuits or mistakes, Google Maps has slapped a "Prohibited" sign on the following 51 places.

1. Government and Military Sites
  2. The White House: Google Maps' images of the White House show a digitally erased version of the roof in order to obscure the air-defense and security assets that are in place.
  3. The U.S. Capitol: The U.S. Capitol has been fuzzy ever since Google Maps launched. Current versions of Google Maps and Google Earth show these sites uncensored, though with old pictures.
  4. Dick Cheney's House: The Vice President's digs at Number One Observatory Circle are obscured through pixelation in Google Earth and Google Maps at the behest of the U.S. government. However, high-resolution photos and aerial surveys of the property are readily available on other Web sites.
  5. Soesterberg Air Base, in the Netherlands: This Dutch air-force base and former F-15 base for the U.S. Air Force during the Cold War can't be seen via Google Maps.
  6. PAVE PAWS in Cape Cod, Mass.: PAVE PAWS is the U.S. Air Force Space Command’s radar system for missile warning and space surveillance. There are two other installations besides the one in Cape Cod.
  7. Shatt-Al-Arab Hotel in Basra, Iraq: This site was possibly censored after it was reported that terrorists who attacked the British at the hotel used aerial footage displayed by Google Earth to target their attacks.
  8. Leeuwarden, Netherlands: This Dutch city is one of the main operating bases of the Royal Netherlands Air Force, part of NATO's Joint Command Centre and one of three Joint Sub-Regional Commands of Allied Forces Northern Europe. Leeuwarden is also one of two regional headquarters of Allied Command Europe, headed by the Supreme Allied Commander Europe.
  9. Reims Air Base in France: This lone building on Reims Air Base in France is blurred out.
  10. Novi Sad: This military base in Serbia is off-limits.
  11. Kamp van Zeist: Kamp van Zeist is a former U.S. Air Force base that was temporarily declared sovereign territory of the U.K. in 2000 in order to allow the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing trial to take place.
  12. NATO C3 Agency: Located in Brussels, Belgium, the C3 Agency supports NATO through scientific support and funded acquisition of C4ISR (Consultation, Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) capabilities.
  13. New American Embassy Location: This site is under construction.
  14. NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen : This is the site of the main operating of NATO's Airborne Early Warning Control Force's E-3A Component, which provides an early-warning radar system to enhance NATO's air- defense capabilities. The base includes 17 E-3A aircraft used for air surveillance and air-operations-communications support. Crews from 14 nations, including Spain, Turkey and the U.S., power the aircraft.
  15. Ramstein Air Base in Germany: Ramstein Air Base figures prominently in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. It's the home of the 86th Airlift Wing and headquarters of U.S. Air Forces in Europe. It is also a NATO installation. Americans, Canadians, Germans, British, French and other nationalities comprise the base's population.
  16. The Royal Stables in The Hague, Netherlands: A division of the Civil Household, the Royal Stables arranges transport for the members of the Royal House and the Royal Household.
  17. Huis Ten Bosch Palace: This address is one of the four official residences of the Dutch Royal Family, also located in The Hague, Netherlands. Queen Beatrix has lived here since 1981.
    Political Pushback on Google Earth and Google Maps' Street View
  18. North Oaks, Minn.: In late June 2008, the St. Paul, Minn. suburb of North Oaks successfully petitioned that street images be removed from Google Maps’ Street View feature. The argument put forth collectively by North Oaks' 4,500 residents involves the fact that the town has private roads that are protected by a trespassing ordinance. Google spokeswoman Elaine Filadelfo said that she didn't know of any other city in the country that has made a similar request.
  19. The Boring Home: Aaron and Christine Boring of Franklin Park Pa. claimed that Google Maps' Street View feature violated their privacy, devalued their property and caused them mental suffering by posting images of a private road in front of their house. The Borings said that the images of their home must have been taken from their long driveway, which is labeled "Private Road."

Click on the link for the full article

Microsoft Live Maps is what I usually use. It doesn't have street view, but then again, Google is pretty limited on the places that have Street View. Live Maps has a Birdseye feature that is way clearer than Google Maps, and it has better coverage for suburban/rural areas that aren't in the middle of a popular tourist destination.

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuZmVkZXgrZmllbGQlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnLjEmYmI9MzkuMDYwNzgyODEyMjE1OCU3ZS03Ni41NjcxNTM5MzA2NjQxJTdlMzguNjk2NzY0NjE0MTM1OCU3ZS03Ny4xNzI3NzUyNjg1NTQ3

Archived