Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think Betts is kicking himself?

mojo

I mean an $18.5 million signing bonus for the second best guard on the team. What would a running back who rushed for a 1,000 yards in 9 starts garner in this market? Ladell's got to be wondering.

I'm just glad we don't have to find out. :helmet:

I have to think he is. The FA market is just crazy. He could have made mega-bucks. The worse part for him now is they are talking about trading him. The one reason to sign a contract like that is if you REALLY want to stay in DC.

I have to think he is. The FA market is just crazy. He could have made mega-bucks. The worse part for him now is they are talking about trading him. The one reason to sign a contract like that is if you REALLY want to stay in DC.

And maybe thats why he signed that contract. I think Bettes really likes it here and where the offense is going. I also think he doesn't mind being the #2 guy. Of course this is all speculation on my part so i'll stop.

I think it would make us look bad if we traded Betts. He signed a great deal, that was a great benefit to the team. Dont you think we knew he would have banked? He knew the same thing and still signed with us. Do you think any other player that we tried to sign in the same situation would ever do that again? Its just a bad idea in my opinion.

If the backup tight end for the Giants, Visanthe Shiancoe, signed a five-year, $18.5 million deal with $7 million guaranteed and $8.2 million in the first year, and if the third receiver for the Dolphins, Wes Welker, signed a seven-year $38.5 million deal, then you know Ladell Betts could have received easily $30 million with a $10 million bonus, if not more.

Kudos to our front office for getting some key deals done, in addition to Mike Sellers' 4 years for $4 million, right before FB Ovie Mughelli signed for 6 years and $18 million.

I don't think he is. Either he or his agent knew that he would get more in free agency than he would with the resigning deal he got from the skins. Betts clearly chose to forgo more money. Now, he probably would have gotten more than he thought he would have on free agency, but I don't think he regrets the move. Money was clearly not his priority.

I'm just glad that he's not a free agent...you know the Giants would be all over him!

When you think about it...we have the best set of RBs in our division...the Giants are scrambling to replace Tiki and jacobs isn't a break away back...

Dallas has a couple of average backs...

The Eagles are in the 2nd best shape with Westbrook but other than last year, he has never been too durable...

The eagle were interrested in Ducket last year before we got him...I htink Betts would start for every team in the NFL except for San Diego, Kansas City, Seattle, San Fransisco, Arizona, and maybe Nw Orleans...there might be a few more but it is quite possible, that we have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL behind San Diego.

Let's just fill that left guard position and be done with offensive pickups.

I think he is, I mean he signed after like his 3rd or 4th game starting. I dont think he knew he was going to get over 1000 yards. For all he knew, he was going to get hurt and miss the rest of the season and be the same ol' Ladell Betts. If he really signed because he wanted to stick with the Skins, he should have forced the Skins to put in a no trade clause (if they can do that in the NFL). Or atleast had to have his approval. He would have gotten a fat check if he hit the market. But I guess that is evidence that he wants to stay a Skin, couldnt hurt to hit the market, but gave up the opportunity.

No doubt in my mind. Can you imagine the money he could have made this year. There were at least 3 teams that need a RB and he could have hit the jackpot!!! We were smart to sign him. I wish we could have seen the inevetible(sp?) and signed Dock. We aren't fortune tellers, you know.

The Jets wouldn't have gave him anything.If he went to the Jets wouldn't they have kept his contract the way it was?

I think he meant if Betts hit FA. Considering how badly the Jets need a new franchise back, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them slap Betts with a contract similar to the one we saw Edge get last year in Arizona.

Sure his agent is probably pulling his hair out, and I'm sure Betts knows every well he could've left the team for a starting job and a huge contract. Obviously he likes it here and wants to be here. Let's not screw him over please!

If the backup tight end for the Giants, Visanthe Shiancoe, signed a five-year, $18.5 million deal with $7 million guaranteed and $8.2 million in the first year, and if the third receiver for the Dolphins, Wes Welker, signed a seven-year $38.5 million deal, then you know Ladell Betts could have received easily $30 million with a $10 million bonus, if not more.

He likely would have gotten Portis money this year. If Dockery gets 50M then Betts would have gotten that much I believe since there aren't a lot of available under 30 backs out there.

Oddly enough the market for RB has not been strong the last couple of years. Recall how Edge had some initial struggles to get the deal he wanted. Of the notable FAs visits thusfar none have been RBs.

Teams have shifted the focus from needing a proven RB to other positions. Hence the higher value on O-Line players. Since Denver started it, teams seemed to have adopted the notion that you don't have to spend a lot to have success at the RB spot.

This was in the Wash Post yesterday morning:

Running back Ladell Betts, who has piqued the interest of several teams (the Jets and Broncos among them), has heard nothing of a possible trade and Gibbs has continued to espouse the importance of having Betts and Clinton Portis on the team next season. "I talk to my agent on a regular basis but they haven't mentioned anything like [a trade] to me," Betts said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/02/AR2007030201277.html

Archived