Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disillusioned Front Office: Surprised??

HateYanksDukeCowboys

I wish we could have worked it out with Dock, but not breaking the bank the way Buffalo ultimately did when,our greatest needs are on the defense.NO WAY!! I can think of 4 other offensive players who would be more deserving of that kinda money than Dock --Cooley,Sellers,Samuels,and Thomas. I wish him well and all but he was NOT all that pivotal to the tune of $49 mil for 7 years.

You ever heard the saying "those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it"?

Kind of like the first time we made the playoffs with Snyder as owner and then he got his little fingers into everything, overspent for a bunch of big name free agents, and then we paid for it for many seasons.

Sounds a lot like last offseason and the results were similar. That's ok, they can keep ignoring it and keep making the same mistakes because of fans like you.

Yes, you are the smartest fan that the skins have. We are so proud to have you out there, on our side. Every member on this site should applaud your wonderful insight. In fact every team from here on out should stop spending any money on free agents. Because the draft is a 100% sure thing. You are so right, what have we all been thinking all of this time. We can only hope Joe Gibbs becomes as smart as you. Great job.

London Fletcher: he's small and old. last i checked, not a good combination for ANY football player......much less, a middle linebacker.

after ALL these years, vinny and danny STILL haven't learned. this is Mark Carrier, Deion, Bruce Smith written all over again.

i guess it makes too much sense to pay the huge and young (Dockery), when you can pay the small and old.

i realize its apples to oranges before anyone says anything, and the fact that Dockery was asking too much this off-season. HOWEVER, a SMART front office would have recognized Dockery's upside before it ever got to this, and signed him to a more economical extension a year ago.

Out: Young and Big.

In: Small and Old.

This also reminds me of Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond.

glad we're keeping "the core" together.

Disillusioned Fan: Surprised?? :notworthy :doh:

How are people calling this a bad signing. He was the best player on their defense year after year, and it was a good defense. He got screwed anually by not making the Pro Bowl. 5yr 25M is not that much. It would have been bad if it was 5yr 55M though.

This is nothing like giving an overrated player like Archuleta best of position money last year when everybody knew he wasn't that good.

Also 31 isn't that old. Most good MLB's play excellent football until 35 or even later.

Donnie Edwards is 2 years older and played just as well last year as in the past, hes also 20 pounds lighter and plays MLB. Zack Thomas is also 2 years older and played as well last year as ever. He's 5-11 and 20+ pounds lighter.

This is about as good as getting Pierce back IMO. Fletcher is a couple years older but actually will make less than Pierce even though the contract is 2 years newer.

Quit your ****ing. This was a good deal.

Fletcher is a good pro. He's not a great one, but he's very capable and durable. He certainly improves the position. Losing Dockery is tough, but, the money he got was overwhelmingly out of control. It's just not a deal you can make with a very good guard who simply can't pull to save his life in an offense in need of pulling guards :). Now, if Marty was here, we'd have Dockery back :).

i think you need to stop telling people to STHU. this is a message board to share one's thoughts and opinions is it not? if so, "STHU" is not only wrong, but a terrible argument at that.

to all the people disagreeing with me, let me ask you how many productive years you expect out of a 32 year-old linebacker? are you maive enough to think that London Fletcher has found the fountain of youth and will continue playing at this level until he's 37?

better yet, how many prductive years will 26 year-old Derrick Dockery provide? my humble opinion suggests many more than Fletcher.

Dockery is a mediocre non-pulling offensive lineman. He was also a beneficiary of a great line and great offensive line coaches. We will see what he does in buffalo. He made some crucial penalties time after time. He got way overpaid, buffalo can surely have him for that price.

Sometimes I think people on here that pump dockery up like he is a Russ Grimm or Joe Jacoby. Maybe, they were selling higher leveled beer at Fed-Ex last year.

so let me get this straight. we should have resigned a slow guard who: cant pull, was the weakest link on our offensive line, got overpaid by a team desperatly trying to get an Oline together.

but we should not have signed a MLB who: has never missed a game in his 9 year NFL career, is a proven tackling machine, fills a position of need where we sucked, will be a field general, already knows williams system.

yeahhhh, good call threadstarter.

Very well said.

Fletcher is a good pro. He's not a great one, but he's very capable and durable. He certainly improves the position. Losing Dockery is tough, but, the money he got was overwhelmingly out of control. It's just not a deal you can make with a very good guard who simply can't pull to save his life in an offense in need of pulling guards :). Now, if Marty was here, we'd have Dockery back :).

Art, I love your insights. You are spot on constantly.

Thank you.

eff sports illustrated and whoevers with them. dock can go. hes not worth more than any of our gaurds. we got a great middle linebacker that can tackle. someone who can we rely on. hes was a point gaurd in the game of basketball. he should know how to make reads and adjustment more proper than marshal. cause of fletcher its make this offseason longer. cant wait til august..

Yes, you are the smartest fan that the skins have. We are so proud to have you out there, on our side. Every member on this site should applaud your wonderful insight. In fact every team from here on out should stop spending any money on free agents. Because the draft is a 100% sure thing. You are so right, what have we all been thinking all of this time. We can only hope Joe Gibbs becomes as smart as you. Great job.

5. Please be respectful of your fellow members.

Every registered member agrees, upon registration, not use these forums to post material or topics which are knowingly false, defamatory, deceptive, inaccurate, racist, insulting, abusive, inflammatory, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually graphic, physically threatening, invasive of another's privacy or otherwise in violation of any law, including stalking or otherwise harassing individual members.

Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules.

Every registered member agrees, upon registration, not use these forums to post material or topics which are knowingly false, defamatory, deceptive, inaccurate, racist, insulting, abusive, inflammatory, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually graphic, physically threatening, invasive of another's privacy or otherwise in violation of any law, including stalking or otherwise harassing individual members.

Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules.

twas a compliment.

anyways

Fletcher has NEVER, NEVER missed a game, the guy is like a tree trunk, short and thick, his weight and mass are concentrated, so he should have good pop when it comes to tackling. 100 tackles every year is pretty ridicolous. he knows the system and will give us some stability while we draft a MLB in 2008 to take over from him. He is going to be our on the field coach, directing players, making reads, and improving everyone elses' play.

BTW, grabbed it off foxsports.com section NFL by Adam Schein

It's about the best signings this offseason

3. London Fletcher to Washington — There are three guarantees in life: death, taxes and London Fletcher recording 100 or more tackles. Tackling proved to be a tough task for the Washington defense last year. Fletcher never got the proper due in Buffalo. Book it now — he finally makes the Pro Bowl as a Redskin this season.

I'm one of those guys that thinks getting London Fletcher to play Middle Linebacker was indeed a pretty good move. It allows us, to move Marshall from the Middle over to the weakside where he's a better fit and signing Fred Smoot to fill a corner need was also another good move. However, I also sense that management may have been burnt more from last year's signings than they initially lead us to believe. This year's class of Free Agents is far more talented than last year's class, however because they were burnt by several of their decisions last year, what do the Redskins do? They take a back seat to a better class of Free Agents, this year! They have the money to sign an Adalius Thomas DE-LB, Kris Dielmann G, Brian Simmons LB, Rod Hood CB, or even a Tony Pashos T, but instead chose to show fiscal restraint at the worse possible moment! No Left Guard? Don't worry......we have all season to keep auditioning players for Left Guard! In fact, Left Guard will be this season's new Achilles heel.....

London Fletcher: he's small and old. last i checked, not a good combination for ANY football player......much less, a middle linebacker.
so while we may be getting a very good MLB, we'll be losing a lockdown corner.

You guys should have stopped taking this guy seriously right after he contradicted/played himself.

You guys should have stopped taking this guy seriously right after he contradicted/played himself.

Agreed. And good catch. Though I tuned out after the first statement quoted. Seems as though Fletcher's done a very good job with that combination. Have to wonder if some folks around here actually know or research the player they're bashing at times.

We could have just extended Dockery during last year with the one size fits all 10 million dollar signing bonus.

I like the fletcher signing but lets not act like he is the end all at MLB for the skins.

We still need to have the beef in front of him to operate.

The signing does allow Lemar and Khary campbell flexibility to backup all three spots and two spots respectively

How on earth could you possibly quote all this and not understand what it says? The post against you was an ideal post for this board. I'm only surprised he didn't call you an idiot more directly. But, he did it even more intelligently and well.

How on earth could you possibly quote all this and not understand what it says? The post against you was an ideal post for this board. I'm only surprised he didn't call you an idiot more directly. But, he did it even more intelligently and well.

it was actually in response to another poster's comment. here is the post i found offensive. how YOU can't possibly hear the sarcasm and personal attack in this post is beyond me:

"Yes, you are the smartest fan that the skins have. We are so proud to have you out there, on our side. Every member on this site should applaud your wonderful insight. In fact every team from here on out should stop spending any money on free agents. Because the draft is a 100% sure thing. You are so right, what have we all been thinking all of this time. We can only hope Joe Gibbs becomes as smart as you. Great job."

Calling someone an idiot is what I believe to be a personal attack. one can disagree with another's point of view without slinging an insult, which is what you just did yourself. i thought we all played by the same rules.....

its actually NOT a contradiction since they are two separate points. one can be small and old, as well as very good. i don't believe i EVER said he wasn't any good. don't misconstrue......

the whole point of this thread, which several folks have misunderstood, is about the law of averages. eventually, a body breaks down. even one that has established a track record of durability. it makes me nervous that we're briniging in a 32 year-old MLB to lead our defense on a FIVE YEAR contract. so when he goes down at say, age 34 or 35, there will be cap implications due to his five yeard deal if we're forced to cut him.

it was actually in response to another poster's comment. here is the post i found offensive. how YOU can't possibly hear the sarcasm and personal attack in this post is beyond me:

"Yes, you are the smartest fan that the skins have. We are so proud to have you out there, on our side. Every member on this site should applaud your wonderful insight. In fact every team from here on out should stop spending any money on free agents. Because the draft is a 100% sure thing. You are so right, what have we all been thinking all of this time. We can only hope Joe Gibbs becomes as smart as you. Great job."

Calling someone an idiot is what I believe to be a personal attack. one can disagree with another's point of view without slinging an insult, which is what you just did yourself. i thought we all played by the same rules.....

You're a wuss. "mommy, the mean man used sarcasm to deflate my sense of self-righteousness." At least I'm obvious. ;)

Archived