Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buffalo Bills 2003 Defense

XtremeFan55

Gregg Williams last year as HC of Buffalo, the Bills defense was rank 5th in the league. Jerry Gray was also a coach on that staff..

and this defense didn't play against any patsies...they played the Patriots twice (shut them down the 1st game) with the patriots winning the Super Bowl that year...plus they played the NFC East..the Giants, Redskins, Philadephia and Cowboys..plus Indianapolis ,Jacksonville and Tennesee.

London Fletcher and Nate Clements were on that team.

and when you look at the DL...you see Aaron Schobel as the Bill's sack leader and he's almost the same type and size player as Carter.

the DT were manned by 2 retreads...Pat Williams and Sam Adams...2 older players that seem to move around team to team alot.

the other DE was Chris Kelsay who was just resigned yesterday and whom the Redskins had an eye on. Kelsay is another big Nebraska DE in the same mold as Adam Carriker. And Kelsay started as a rookie. His best year, he only had 5.5 sacks which shows that it wasn't necessarily his main job since sometimes a DE is used to move OL men to allow LB and safties to blitz. Carriker can fill this role.

Once we fix the line then I really believe Carter will have a great year and his sacks will dramatically increase and he could be similar to Aaron Schobel or better.

Alot of good defense use older DT to clog the middle...but since Griff and Salavea are both 30...they aren't old and used up yet....they had alot of injuries last year...give them an injury free year and we see 2004-2005 performance again with Golston and Montgomery as adequate backups.

Adam Carriker can fill the Chris Kelsay role of stuffing the run and opening lanes for blitzes and taking on double coverage to free up Carter.

Fletcher was successful in thaat defense in 2003 and is not used up yet and still has a few more good years in him.

Marcus Washington is equal or better IMO than Takeo Spikes as strong side LB.

our safties with Taylor and Archuleta if he raises his performance level are better than what Buffalo had in 2003..

add Clements and the Redskins are looking at a top 5 defense next year.

the 2003 Bills went 6-10 or 5-11..can't remember..but the had the next to last offense that year and we know our offense will be at least in the top half of the league.

with Gibbs emphasis on running and with 2 quality backs in Portis/Betts and with Campbell stretching the field throwing bombs to Moss and using Cooley as a possesion reciever...we will see dramatic difference next year..

10-6 at the minimum.

Gregg Williams last year as HC of Buffalo, the Bills defense was rank 5th in the league. Jerry Gray was also a coach on that staff..

and this defense didn't play against any patsies...they played the Patriots twice (shut them down the 1st game) with the patriots winning the Super Bowl that year...plus they played the NFC East..the Giants, Redskins, Philadephia and Cowboys..plus Indianapolis ,Jacksonville and Tennesee.

London Fletcher and Nate Clements were on that team.

and when you look at the DL...you see Aaron Schobel as the Bill's sack leader and he's almost the same type and size player as Carter.

the DT were manned by 2 retreads...Pat Williams and Sam Adams...2 older players that seem to move around team to team alot.

the other DE was Chris Kelsay who was just resigned yesterday and whom the Redskins had an eye on. Kelsay is another big Nebraska DE in the same mold as Adam Carriker. And Kelsay started as a rookie. His best year, he only had 5.5 sacks which shows that it wasn't necessarily his main job since sometimes a DE is used to move OL men to allow LB and safties to blitz. Carriker can fill this role.

Once we fix the line then I really believe Carter will have a great year and his sacks will dramatically increase and he could be similar to Aaron Schobel or better.

Alot of good defense use older DT to clog the middle...but since Griff and Salavea are both 30...they aren't old and used up yet....they had alot of injuries last year...give them an injury free year and we see 2004-2005 performance again with Golston and Montgomery as adequate backups.

Adam Carriker can fill the Chris Kelsay role of stuffing the run and opening lanes for blitzes and taking on double coverage to free up Carter.

Fletcher was successful in thaat defense in 2003 and is not used up yet and still has a few more good years in him.

Marcus Washington is equal or better IMO than Takeo Spikes as strong side LB.

our safties with Taylor and Archuleta if he raises his performance level are better than what Buffalo had in 2003..

add Clements and the Redskins are looking at a top 5 defense next year.

the 2003 Bills went 6-10 or 5-11..can't remember..but the had the next to last offense that year and we know our offense will be at least in the top half of the league.

with Gibbs emphasis on running and with 2 quality backs in Portis/Betts and with Campbell stretching the field throwing bombs to Moss and using Cooley as a possesion reciever...we will see dramatic difference next year..

10-6 at the minimum.

To be honest with you Marcus Washington ain't better than a healthy Tikeo Spikes. Washington is a beast but Spikes at the time was compared to Ray Ray!

i have a bad feeling clements will sign with the 49ers by this evening, and that we are going to draft a CB. im very concerned, and i really hope im way off.

In the long run, I think giving Clements a 20 million bonus could do more harm than good. Too many holes to fill and too many young players to extend.

Wait...what? According to a lot of people on this board, players hate Greg Williams and his defenses get progressively worse the longer he stays! His act wears thin on people! He's an ego maniac! :)

Actually, the talent you mentioned on that 2003 defense is much better than ours - especially on the Dline.

Schobel, Williams, Adams, Kelsay is like the Steel Curtain compared to what we have. Pat Williams is damn good (currently the best run stuffer in the league) and Adams was still motivated back then. We know that Kelsay and Schobel are pretty active in the pass rush.

London Fletcher and Spikes is a nice LB combo. Can't remember who their 3rd backer was.

I'd say their D backfield was better than ours too: Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee at the CBs and Lawyer Milloy at safety?

Here's the issue with your theory; Sam Adams and Pat Williams at that time were not re-treads. They were actually having some of the best numbers of their careers in 2002-2003. Adams playing the 2 gap DT position was actually on a string of 13 sacks in 3 years in Buffalo!

You need a solid DT crew to have any hope of your DE's applying any pressure to the QB. Griffin is a 1 gap DT and Montgomery cannot command a double team.

While I applaud your optimism and your creative use of deductive reasoning, I'm afraid to say I disagree with a few points.

1. We can't afford Clements

2. Pat Williams and Sam Adams were both effective DTs. Ours are our glaring weakness.

3. Are you suggesting we take Carricker with the #6 pick?

4. Takeo Spikes in 2003 - 126 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 picks / Marcus Washington in 2006 - 86 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 0 picks

5. To induct that we'll finish 10-6 "at the minimum" because our (in your expectation) future squad loosely resembles a decent defense from 2003, and because our offense is 'guaranteed' to finish in the top half of the league is, well..... a stretch.

You are GROSSLY overlooking the D-line factor. First, Daniels and Wynn ain't Kelsay in terms of run stuffing ends. Second, Pat Williams and Sam Adams ARE IN NO WAY retreads. Yes, Adams has moved around and is older now but they have what our DTs lack.......overwhelming size and power. Sam Adams was 30 at the time, 6'3" and 350 lbs. Pat Williams was 31 and 6'3" and 320 lbs.

Now, compare that to the 6'3", 300lbs Griffin, 6'3" 295 lbs Salave'a and the 6'4" 292lbs Golston. You see the difference? The difference was, that extra 75-100lbs of DT kept blockers off the Linebackers and allowed them to stop the running game. That, in turn, allowed the safeties and corners to focus on the pass game and not get killed by play action. It allowed the pass rushers to come more freely and with less to think about. It's a cascading effect. What we don't have, what we need dearly, is a big space eating DT who eats up space and blockers. DT is the foundation of any good defense. You really can't be a good defense without good DT play. You are VASTLY under estimating the contributions of two EXTREMELY good DTs in Williams and Adams on that 03 Bills defense.

I don't know if I would classify their DT's at the time as 'retreads.' Adams and Williams are darn good DT's. The Vikings lead the league in rush defense thanks in large part to Pat Williams.

I do agree about Carriker - trading down for him and possibly Tank Tyler top of the second would catapult this defense from mediocrity to pretty **** good skippy quick.

Archived