Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carr for Portis

tonyriggins

First off, the "Portis is a top 5 back" statement is meaningless. There are only 2 "top" backs: LJ and LT. After that, there are a lot of good backs. At this point, Portis is just one of ten or so second tier running backs.

Second, the trade--as I understand it--is Carr and their 2nd round pick for Portis. That is a good deal in my mind. S. Alexander and E. James were on the block in the last few years, and a 2nd round pick was about the market value. So you are getting a 2nd for Portis AND a former #1 draft pick QB with good experience to come in and compete with J. Campbell. A trip out of Houston might be just what he needs. He could very well beat out J. Campbell in a qb competition. Regardless, he would be a very good backup.

The second round pick could be Brandon Merriweather at S, which would make Taylor better. Or it could be Anthony Spencer who is going to be an AWESOME linebacker in the pros. Or Buster Davis at the ILB spot. Or it could be a legit CB like Chris Houston. Or a legit #2 WR like Sidney Rice or Anthony Gonzalez. Or it could be much needed line depth/replacement for Dockery.

I'll take any of those guys and David Carr for Portis. That's a deal.

The benefits to that trade:

1. Get a good, young, cheap starter at a key spot with the 2nd round pick.

2. You get a better, young QB with experience to come in and push for the starting job.

3. Can cut Brunell and clear his cap number off the books.

4. You get out from under Portis' very large contract.

The downside to the trade:

1. You have Betts instead of Portis at RB. Which is a step down, but not as much as most people think here. You can be a contender with Betts.

For one, Clinton wouldn't even work for you, you have no O-line. Why would we trade our franchise back who is proven a RB. For a 2nd rounder which may be a bust and at best decent backup quarterback. So we would be trading Portis a starter who makes our offense what it is; For a backup QB and a possible good player in the second round. Yeah that makes alot of sense :doh: :doh: :doh:

I've been living in Houston for a few years and have to occaisonally watch the Texan Train Wreck. David Carr is basically Mark Brunell, except not "Super-Smart." He's noodle-armed, shell-shocked QB who lives on the dump-off to the flat. He doesn't know how to throw it away, and lobs tons of picks right into the DB's hands. He's a disaster as a QB, and the originator of this rumor clearly is frankly delusional.

I'm a pretty steady listener to Houston sports radio. The local fans here are pretty out of touch and silly, but I've not heard anything this dumb before...

I've been living in Houston for a few years and have to occaisonally watch the Texan Train Wreck. David Carr is basically Mark Brunell, except not "Super-Smart." He's noodle-armed, shell-shocked QB who lives on the dump-off to the flat. He doesn't know how to throw it away, and lobs tons of picks right into the DB's hands. He's a disaster as a QB, and the originator of this rumor clearly is frankly delusional.

I'm a pretty steady listener to Houston sports radio. The local fans here are pretty out of touch and silly, but I've not heard anything this dumb before...

Well thats a direct result of the Texans ingnoring there problems on the o-line year in and year out. Kinda sucks for Carr.

Carr just isn't good. Everyone blames his offensive line, but the fact is Sage Rosenfels came in and the line looked just fine because, unlike Carr, he doesn't hold on to the ball forever. Carr, though more talented, actually has a lot of the same problems Ramsey has -- and we all know how little Gibbs thought of Ramsey.

2. You get a better, young QB with experience to come in and push for the starting job.

1. You have Betts instead of Portis at RB. Which is a step down, but not as much as most people think here. You can be a contender with Betts.

You stated what the downside to that trade is. I'll add a couple more for you. Betts fumbles alot and is not durable. If you trade CP, we take the hit from his bonus, not to mention the hit from Brunell's contract. You essentially are telling JC he is not good enough to be the #1 if Carr comes in. And you still haven't addressed the d-line.

First off, the "Portis is a top 5 back" statement is meaningless. There are only 2 "top" backs: LJ and LT. After that, there are a lot of good backs. At this point, Portis is just one of ten or so second tier running backs.

Second, the trade--as I understand it--is Carr and their 2nd round pick for Portis. That is a good deal in my mind. S. Alexander and E. James were on the block in the last few years, and a 2nd round pick was about the market value. So you are getting a 2nd for Portis AND a former #1 draft pick QB with good experience to come in and compete with J. Campbell. A trip out of Houston might be just what he needs. He could very well beat out J. Campbell in a qb competition. Regardless, he would be a very good backup.

The second round pick could be Brandon Merriweather at S, which would make Taylor better. Or it could be Anthony Spencer who is going to be an AWESOME linebacker in the pros. Or Buster Davis at the ILB spot. Or it could be a legit CB like Chris Houston. Or a legit #2 WR like Sidney Rice or Anthony Gonzalez. Or it could be much needed line depth/replacement for Dockery.

HA! HA! LMAO! Laughing so hard! NO! NO! NO! Too Big of a cap hit. Yeah sure we get a second draft pic but there would be no room to sign him. Carr? We might as well have kept Ramsey. Carr isn't a starter.

And hello! Portis our best offensive player!

Betts isn't Portis. Also did you notice that Betts fumbles the ball. Our offense has what it needs. There is no need to fix something that isn't broken.

NO! NO! NO!

Ah, the offseason wowes continue!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Are you kidding me? Carr is not even on the same level as JC. Portis for a second round pick?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . I want what you are smoking and a sip of what you have been drinking.

Archived