Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Star Trek episodes

mhd24

As a longtime Trek fan, what are your fav episodes?

I recently got the Ds9 complete series for a darn good price ($240 for all 7 seasons, plus Band of Brothers as a gift from Barnes and Noble).

Anyways, I just saw "The Vistor", probably the most emotional tear-jerking episode I've erver seen on TV. If you don't cry during that episode, something is wrong with you.

Regardless, my favs are:

1) In the Pale Moonlight (Season 6 of DS9)

2) Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2 (TNG)

3) The Vistor (DS9, Season 4)

4) Timeless (Voyager, Season 4)

5) Measure of a Man (TNG, Season 2)

6) The Seige of AR-155 (DS9, Season 7)

7) Clues (TNG)

8) Cause and Effect (TNG)

I've forgot many more, but these are some of the best

Sacrilege!

They'll take away your rubber Spock ears if City on the Edge of Forever isn't listed #1. :)

And I was a big fan of Tuvix.

And I really liked The Bonding. (TNG 3) (The episode begins with Worf returning to Enterprise after an away mission which he commanded, in which a crewman died. The episode isn't about the dead crewman or the away mission, it's about the crew's reactions to the death of a crewman.)

(I'll admit that most of the episodes after TOS kind-of run together to me.)

There are so many great episodes, and you mentioned a couple I really like (such as Best of Both Worlds), but a couple that come to mind, in no particular order:

1. "Frame of Mind" - ST: TNG, episode 147.

This is the episode that really made me appreciate Riker's character and Jonathan Frakes as an actor. Riker, while on an undercover mission, is caught - while being interrogated, he believes he is in an insane asylum.

2. "A Piece of the Action" - ST: TOS, episode 49

The crew of the Entireprise on a "gangster" planet: One of my personal favorites.

3. "The Way of the Warrior," I and II - ST: DSN, episodes 73 and 74

The Klingon Empire invades Cardassia - this episode had a lot of good battle scenes and intrigue, and it really set the ground for a lot of the conflict against the Cardassians and the Dominion.

There are so many good episides in each incarnation of Trek, it really is hard to choose!

Sacrilege!

They'll take away your rubber Spock ears if City on the Edge of Forever isn't listed #1. :)

And I was a big fan of Tuvix.

And I really liked The Bonding. (TNG 3) (The episode begins with Worf returning to Enterprise after an away mission which he commanded, in which a crewman died. The episode isn't about the dead crewman or the away mission, it's about the crew's reactions to the death of a crewman.)

(I'll admit that most of the episodes after TOS kind-of run together to me.)

"City..." is an excellent episode and probably one of the classic episodes of TOS. And I always liked "The Bonding" since it showed some of the peons of the crew and their reactions.

TOS "The Ultimate Computer" Doctor Daystrom is one of my personal heroes (how geeky is that?) and William Marshall is one of my favorite actors of all time. Combine that with an incredible story and it's by far my favorite episode of any Star Trek ever.

Second place goes to TOS "Arena". Yeah, the Gorn Captain was just a guy in a cheesy suit, but it was still excellent seeing Kirk going mano a mano with a reptile. It was interplanetary McGyver type stuff. Truly excellent.

Although I am a hugh Trek fan, I can't quote episode number (and very few titles)

However, here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Jean Luc zapped by the probe - learns another culture and how to play the flute

Worf finds a mate - the real development of the Klingon thread

"Trouble with Trebles" - a real tongue in cheek episode

"Guardian of Time?" - Kirk and crew in the Depression - the setup for time travel

Kirk vs. the Gorn

Q gives Jean Luc a chance to relive his life

Q introduces the Federation to the Borg

Jean Luc as Borg

"All good Things"

A lot of episodes with the holodeck - Dixon Hill, Moriarty

Two Rikers

The reappearance of Tasha Yar as a Romulan

The time warp - when the number 3 keeps showing up

I just realized there are way too many for me to list.

:helmet:

Although I am a hugh Trek fan, I can't quote episode number (and very few titles)

However, here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Jean Luc zapped by the probe - learns another culture and how to play the flute

Worf finds a mate - the real development of the Klingon thread

"Trouble with Trebles" - a real tongue in cheek episode

"Guardian of Time?" - Kirk and crew in the Depression - the setup for time travel

Kirk vs. the Gorn

Q gives Jean Luc a chance to relive his life

Q introduces the Federation to the Borg

Jean Luc as Borg

"All good Things"

A lot of episodes with the holodeck - Dixon Hill, Moriarty

Two Rikers

The reappearance of Tasha Yar as a Romulan

The time warp - when the number 3 keeps showing up

I just realized there are way too many for me to list.

:helmet:

I agree - too many to list!

$240 for all 7 seasons

:thud:

...teach me.

My personal favorite episode: "The Countdown" from Enterprise. --- "With help from Xindi allies, the Enterprise crew attempts to stop the arming of the Weapon aimed toward Earth."

I will note however the episode would not be nearly as awesome without following the series (at least that season).

ST: TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise"

the Enterprice-c jumps forward in time 22 years.

Unfortunately, I'm often in the position of "it would've been even cooler if they'd . . .

What I wanted to happen in Yesterday's Enterprise was for them to realize that "Hey, if we change history, then all of this we're living now won't have happened, and therefore we can do whatever we want."

I wanted Enterprise C and D to go back to the battle.

Enterprise C fights bravely, and dies heroically. Enterprise D really kicks butt, then withdraws somewhere and self-destructs to avoid contaminating the time line. Klingons find the wreckage od Enterprise C and a lot of destroyed Romulan ships, and say "Wow! These folks killed all these Romulans!"

Unfortunately, I'm often in the position of "it would've been even cooler if they'd . . .

What I wanted to happen in Yesterday's Enterprise was for them to realize that "Hey, if we change history, then all of this we're living now won't have happened, and therefore we can do whatever we want."

I wanted Enterprise C and D to go back to the battle.

Enterprise C fights bravely, and dies heroically. Enterprise D really kicks butt, then withdraws somewhere and self-destructs to avoid contaminating the time line. Klingons find the wreckage od Enterprise C and a lot of destroyed Romulan ships, and say "Wow! These folks killed all these Romulans!"

Yeah, I often re-write episodes in my head. Especially if I was seconding guessing Janeway's command decision as Voyager slinked away, once again, from another battle.

"Come on, Chakotay, throw Janeway in the brig and take command!"

A little off-topic, but favorite episodes from two other shows:

Babylon Five:

"Severed Dreams" - Season three, episode 10

Earth Forces attempt to sieze Babylon Five, resulting in a spectacular battle. This is still one of THE most spectacular sci-fi episodes of any series I have ever seen. I believe it was this battle, and the wars that follow, which really pushed Star Trek: DSN's war with the Dominion and some of it's large space fights. They probably saw this episode (which won some Hugos in 1997) and said "Wow."

This episode still gives me chills

"Shadow Dancing" - Season three, episode 21

A battle between the forces of Good and the Shadows. In this episode, Sheridan decides to confront the Shadows and engages them in a pitched battle, with a dramatic finish to the episode. This was another great, episode, and with the great season finale of episode "Z'ha'dum," which is another favorite, Season three of B5 was incredibly spectacular, set the pace for the remaining B5 seasons and will be hard to match for any sci-fi series.

It was simply an amazing season.

Stargate:

Window of Opportunity - Season 4, episode 6

Jack and Teal'c, due to a scientists attempt to go back in time, become stuck in a "Ground Hog Day" series of time loops. They keep appearing at Stargate command, living the same day repeatedly, which results in some plenty funny moments.

Stargate has tons of episodes, but this stands out very well to me. It is probably one of the top rated episodes by fans for Stargate. It is just a great and funny episode for the show. The scene of Jack and Teal'c hitting balls into the Stargate is just priceless.

Oh good, a chance to geek out. :)

I'm just going to do TNG because that was my favorite series.

1. The Inner Light

2. The Best of Both Worlds (part 1 & 2)

3. Yesterday's Enterprise

4. Redemption (though perhaps the best line in the whole series was from Sins of the Father when Worf tells Duras "You are the son of a traitor" and backhands him. Great great line.)

5. Darmok

Oh good, a chance to geek out. :)

I'm just going to do TNG because that was my favorite series.

1. The Inner Light

2. The Best of Both Worlds (part 1 & 2)

3. Yesterday's Enterprise

4. Redemption (though perhaps the best line in the whole series was from Sins of the Father when Worf tells Duras "You are the son of a traitor" and backhands him. Great great line.)

5. Darmok

Actually one of my favorite lines from that series (there were a bunch):

In Unification, Picard needs a cloaked ship so he can to to Romulous to see Spock. He goes to the Klingons. Gowron, whom Picard helped become Chancellor, won't speak to him, and foists him off on underlings. After asking for a cloaked ship, and no, he can't say what he needs one for, Picard simply wants to be given a ship "as a favor". When he's told "no", Picard starts to end the conversation. The flunky stops him, and asks what he's doing. Picard explains:

"Well, if you cannot help me, then I will have no choice but to contact some of the other Klingon houses and throw myself on their mercies. (pause). And then, I will owe them a favor."

(The flunky glances off-camera, and announces that Picard will have a ship.)

Actually one of my favorite lines from that series (there were a bunch):

In Unification, Picard needs a cloaked ship so he can to to Romulous to see Spock. He goes to the Klingons. Gowron, whom Picard helped become Chancellor, won't speak to him, and foists him off on underlings. After asking for a cloaked ship, and no, he can't say what he needs one for, Picard simply wants to be given a ship "as a favor". When he's told "no", Picard starts to end the conversation. The flunky stops him, and asks what he's doing. Picard explains:

"Well, if you cannot help me, then I will have no choice but to contact some of the other Klingon houses and throw myself on their mercies. (pause). And then, I will owe them a favor."

(The flunky glances off-camera, and announces that Picard will have a ship.)

Great scene. But I won't be out-geeked. :)

Here it is:

B'IJIK: Greetings, Captain. I regret to inform you that Gowron and the High Council are quite busy and won't be able to speak with you today.

PICARD: Is he aware that we've been transmitting messages for three days?

B'IJIK: (feigned surprise) Messages? I'll have to inspect the logs... but I'm sure we haven't received any...

PICARD: It is of the utmost importance that I speak with Gowron...

B'IJIK: Captain, Gowron wishes it were possible to talk with everyone who wants an audience. But he is one man... the demands on his time are formidable. If you would like me to take him a message...

PICARD: A message. Very well ...

Tell Gowron, Leader of the High Council of the Klingon Empire, that his Arbiter of Succession, Jean-Luc Picard, needs a favor.

B'IJIK: A favor?

PICARD:I require a cloaked vessel.

B'IJIK: (faint smile) A cloaked vessel. This is no small favor, Captain.

PICARD: It is for a mission that could have repercussions throughout the quadrant.

B'IJIK: How would it benefit the Klingon Empire? I'm sure Gowron will ask...

PICARD: The only benefit to the Klingon Empire... would be our gratitude.

B'IJIK:That's what you want me to tell Gowron... .?

PICARD: Yes. And please add that if he is unable to provide a ship, I am sure there are others in the Klingon Empire who would be willing to help me. And then they would have our gratitude.

B'IJIK: I see.

PICARD: Also please tell him that I am immensely gratified that he is prospering so well. It is a tribute to his skilled leadership.

I love that last line. And Stewart delivers it so well, with that placid smile on his face like he's talking about the weather. Brilliant stuff.

Although my favorite TNG line is "Commander, I must inquire as to your intentions towards my daughter".

And my favorite scene was from The Dauphin (aka: Wesley in love) Wesley is asking the crew for advice in wooing a woman.

The scene opens with Worf on the bridge, screaming at the ceiling.

Wesley looks dubious "I should scream at her?"

Worf: "No, men to not roar. (begins to look wistfull) Women roar. And they hurl heavy objects. (begins smiling) And they claw at you."

Wesley still looks dubious: "What does the guy do?"

Worf, still gazing into space and smiling: "He reads love poetry. (Comes back to the present, notices Wesley again.) He ducks a lot."

Wesley: "I don't think that would work for me."

Worf looks dismissive, goes back to work: "Then go to her. Beg, like a human."

Although my favorite TNG line is "Commander, I must inquire as to your intentions towards my daughter".

And my favorite scene was from The Dauphin (aka: Wesley in love) Wesley is asking the crew for advice in wooing a woman.

The scene opens with Worf on the bridge, screaming at the ceiling.

Wesley looks dubious "I should scream at her?"

Worf: "No, men to not roar. (begins to look wistfull) Women roar. And they hurl heavy objects. (begins smiling) And they claw at you."

Wesley still looks dubious: "What does the guy do?"

Worf, still gazing into space and smiling: "He reads love poetry. (Comes back to the present, notices Wesley again.) He ducks a lot."

Wesley: "I don't think that would work for me."

Worf looks dismissive, goes back to work: "Then go to her. Beg, like a human."

Worf and Data had some of the best deadpan, funny as hell lines. Great writing!

And Balance of Terror is great - it definitely one of the classic Trek episodes in any list of "Best of" episodes.

Archived