Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

`Dog Chapman' loses extradition battle in Mexico

prophet

As I understand it, yeah, there's a long-standing tradition in the US that our justice system pretty much ignores crimes committed by bounty hunters in this country. (At least as long as the only people who get hurt are fugatives.)

(And I don't necessarily disagree with that tradition. Yeah, I'd rather that work got done by cops. But I'm willing to say that the current system seems to work OK.)

I'm just pointing out that just because the US wouldn't have prosecuted him if he'd done the same things here, doesn't mean he's immune from Mexican law.

yiou understand it wrong. bounty hunters are legit. ever hear of the term "citizens arrest"?

if mexico won't extradite fugitives to america, why should we extradite for them. why the **** should we extradite a man that extradited a very bad man BECAUSE mexico refuses to extradite? **** mexico.
Where did it say that Mexico refused to extradite anyone? A lot of people seem to be making up facts so they can criticize this case.

How would we all feel if a Mexican rapist crossed the border and was hiding out in Los Angeles, but instead of waiting for the FBI or the LAPD to do their jobs, Mexican bounty hunters just crossed the border, grabbed the guy, and brought him back to Mexico for a TV show. Do you think the Feds and the police would just say "Thank you, please come again." Do you think we might be a little uncomfortable with Mexicans coming into the U.S. to arrest people?

It's not a "citizen's" arrest when a foreign national is doing it.

The Mexicans aren't trying to throw Chapman in jail - he's probably just going to have to pay a fine. They're just trying to make a statement here. They don't want Americans to think that anytime there is an American criminal in Mexico, any American can just cross the border and try to apprehend him.

Maybe that's what we all want to be able to do ... go down into Mexico and do whatever we want because we're Americans, but we shouldn't be surprised that the Mexicans aren't exactly happy about that prospect. Do you honestly expect the Mexican police to say to us, "Please Americans, come and do our job for us because you think we are completely incompetent?"

This is something that probably has a pretty easy political solution. Chapman can plead down to some fine, someone from the State Department can make an appearance for him down in Mexico, and everyone will go home happy, but for some reason, everyone seems to want to use this thread to rant about how all foreign countries are evil and how America should never do anything to cooperate with them.

DjTj

He didn't catch the dude for his TV show... I believe the show was not on air at that time.

Okay, but that's not really important to my argument.
He could serve 4-5 years in Mexico... thats a crock!
But he won't - all he'll have to do is pay a fine ... that's the REALITY.
He didn't even get paid for geting luster.......

He is getting screwed anyway you put it.

I will be surprised if he has to go to Mexico, and extremely surprised if he stays one day in jail. In REALITY, he is not getting screwed, and everyone is trying to get upset about nothing.

DjTj

He didn't catch the dude for his TV show... I believe the show was not on air at that time.

He could serve 4-5 years in Mexico... thats a crock!

He didn't even get paid for geting luster.......

He is getting screwed anyway you put it.

Except that this is all excellent publicity for his TV show.

We have a hard time getting Mexico to extradite the people who flee there after murder. Let alone people who flee to Mexico after committing lesser crimes.

www.escapingjustice.com - This is only for LA County cases...

That site is about Mexico's refusal to extradite criminals who are facing the death penalty because under Mexico's Constitution, the death penalty is illegal. That's a more complicated issue, but it doesn't have anything to do with Chapman's case.

Unless, of course, the criminal who broke Mexican law and fled to the US was popular[/u], or if he broke a law we disagreed with.

Then, we'd

This is just senseless.

Can you give me even one instance of a rapist/ murderer foreign national who fled to the US and we protected him because he was popular?

Does Mexico disagree that rape and murder are heinous and illegal?

~Bang

Except that this is all excellent publicity for his TV show.

Yeah, ummm, I'm sure the risk of spending 4 years in a Mexican **** hole prison is worth the publicity...... You're not suggesting that this whole thing is intentional, are you? If you watched the show, you would've seen the episode on this where his wife is pleading for viewers to write letters to congressman helping to keep Dog from being extradited. I mean, he's only 50 something years old. He's got plenty of time left to spend with his kids.

That site is about Mexico's refusal to extradite criminals who are facing the death penalty because under Mexico's Constitution, the death penalty is illegal. That's a more complicated issue, but it doesn't have anything to do with Chapman's case.

Comon, you're not going to let me use my red herring?

I like the idea of using bounty hunters to go after Americans who flee into other countries... saves taxpayers a lot of money in both places.

Just because I like it doesn't mean it's legal though.

and under america, bounty hunting IS legal. so if they don't give a **** about our law, whey should we give a **** about theirs?

and under america, bounty hunting IS legal. so if they don't give a **** about our law, whey should we give a **** about theirs?
Huh? When did anyone say that the Mexicans don't give a **** about our law? The guy wasn't in America, so American laws didn't exactly apply ... When in Mexico, obey Mexican law. When in America, obey American law. Is that so hard?

Huh? When did anyone say that the Mexicans don't give a **** about our law? The guy wasn't in America, so American laws didn't exactly apply ... When in Mexico, obey Mexican law. When in America, obey American law. Is that so hard?

your saying they don't extradite because their law is against capital punishment. so they are harboring criminals because they dislike our laws. so i say we harbor a "criminal", if that's what you'd want to consider dog, becuase we don't agree with mexico's anti-bounty-hunting laws. also, as i said earlier, if mexico refuses to extradite real criminals, why should we give a **** and extradite a man who is helping to serve justice? if mexico wants us to start extraditing, they should have thought about that before they decided to harbor all of our criminals who hop the border.

your saying they don't extradite because their law is against capital punishment. so they are harboring criminals because they dislike our laws. so i say we harbor a "criminal", if that's what you'd want to consider dog, becuase we don't agree with mexico's anti-bounty-hunting laws. also, as i said earlier, if mexico refuses to extradite real criminals, why should we give a **** and extradite a man who is helping to serve justice? if mexico wants us to start extraditing, they should have thought about that before they decided to harbor all of our criminals who hop the border.
Aah ... that argument makes more sense.

Like I said, I expect the government will do exactly as you suggest - they won't agree to extradition without some reservations. I'm sure the State Department is talking with Mexico right now to try to resolve this situation amicably. Like I said, I would be surprised if Chapman actually has to go to Mexico.

The same thing generally happens with the death penalty cases. What Mexico does is they ask the American prosecutors to not pursue the death penalty and they then deliver the accused criminal. They don't like to keep extra murderers in their country any more than we do. International relations doesn't usually involve telling each other to **** off.

By the way, Chapman also violated America's bounty hunting laws when he went into Mexico because he didn't have approval from the bail bond agent and in any case, he wasn't authorized to pursue his quarry into Mexico (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/09/national/main535821.shtml). This really isn't a case where I think the government would stand up to make a political statement.

...we would negotiate here on Chapman's behalf because it has become a media story and because the punishment he is facing is negliglbe. There seems to be plenty of reasons to settle this without making a big deal about it.

your saying they don't extradite because their law is against capital punishment. so they are harboring criminals because they dislike our laws.

Actually, they are "harboring criminals" because their Constitution says so.

So, you're saying we should refuse to extradite this guy because we're defending his Constitutional Right to . . . ?

So, you're saying we should refuse to extradite this guy because we're defending his Constitutional Right to . . . ?

i don't give a **** what the mexican constitution says. if they don't respect us, then they shouldn't expect us, a bigger better country, to respect them.

And our country guarantees justice for all. Including hookers raped and murdered by Mexican nationals. And besides,, he's coming back to stand trial. It's not like a lynch mob went after him to bring him back and hang him from the first tree on US soil.

~Bang

The big giant difference is that if they did need to cross into America to capture an American who had raped and killed a Mexican citizen, all Mexican law would have to do is contact us, and our law enforcement and government would likely assist in the capture. Extradition, who knows, but assuming they catch him the guy would not get away with it one way or the other. He'd be tried, be it here or there.

~Bang

That is the difference between the USA and Mexico. We CAN catch people. They apparently can not.

A rapist is off the street because of Dog.. I applaud the man and I am positive that if he had to do it again he would. He did what no one else could. For that he is being punished. For 'showing up' the FBI and the mexican government.

Dude, are you like from Mexico or something? What's up with the anti-American stuff? :doh:

I never knew this about the Luster arrest...

Convicted rapist Andrew Luster sought to justify his crimes and listed his victims and prosecutors under the word "PAYBACK" in a notebook left in Mexico following his capture, according to a published report.

"To want to take a good man's life and destroy his family ... was nothing short of ruthless and much more to the point of unforgivable," said an entry in the notebook, according to the Ventura County Star.

The notebook listed names of those who prosecuted him, the women he raped, detectives and an investigator. All the names were under the heading "PAYBACK," which was underlined, the Star reported.

In several entries, Luster attempted to justify his actions and criticized authorities for prosecuting him.

"Yes they were in an extreme state of inebriation ... But this -- as any actively sexual person (player) knows is not outside the grounds of ethical play," Luster wrote in one entry.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/0623/lusterdiary_ap.html

I knew this guy was evil, but thank god for Dog getting this dude where he belongs to be cause it probably will have saved some lives.

Archived